Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this site but myself and hubbie are wanting to migrate to NZ in about three years when our daughter has finished University. I am an Occupational Therapist so would be looking to come over as a skilled worker. My daughter will be 23 years old when we are considering coming over. I will 51 years :eek: by then!!

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Reactions: Barfooj

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm! Thanks. Only sticking point is that parents must already be 'lawfully and permanently resident'. We wouldn't qualify as this. Am finding it hard to get any information as to whether she can come with us or not! Any suggestions where I may find this info?

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Hmm! Thanks. Only sticking point is that parents must already be 'lawfully and permanently resident'. We wouldn't qualify as this. Am finding it hard to get any information as to whether she can come with us or not! Any suggestions where I may find this info?
Immigrations Operations Manual. Can be found online via the INZ website. It's difficult to read as it's all legal jargon but no doubt the answers will be there. There is a specific area for the skilled migrant category resident visa.
Open up the website and type operations manual in the site search box.

Reactions: Barfooj

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'm under the impression that if your daughter is over 18, then she will be treated as a separate immigrant and thus would need to apply for immigration under her own entity. Unless she is dependent on you for income etc currently. But I'm not 100% certain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I suppose it depends on what financially dependent means e.g. no job, no benefits. She is at Uni so is dependent currently!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having 'perused' the operations manual, it looks like 21-24 year olds can be included in the application, if they are financially dependent on their parents. Again, no guidance about what this means. I feel no further forward as I need the answer to this question or there is no point going any further. Thanks for everyone's help. Wonder if an immigration agent would know the answer!

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Having 'perused' the operations manual, it looks like 21-24 year olds can be included in the application, if they are financially dependent on their parents. Again, no guidance about what this means. I feel no further forward as I need the answer to this question or there is no point going any further. Thanks for everyone's help. Wonder if an immigration agent would know the answer!
Of course they would it's their job to know but you'll likely have to pay as that is how they earn a living. You can just ask them advice. You don't need to employ them to assist in the whole process.
We can't give you a definitive answer as we don't know for sure and we aren't authorised to give immigration advice.
Have a look on the INZ website for a list of approved agents in your country. Maybe they'll give you the first hour of advice for free?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope you don't think I was moaning at you or this site! It was more just my frustration at not being able to find the answer to an important question!

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
I hope you don't think I was moaning at you or this site! It was more just my frustration at not being able to find the answer to an important question!
Nope.
Never even entered my mind. It's a man thing :cool::D

I do have a question for you to ponder though......not that I'm looking for an answer.......why does it matter whether a 23 year old daughter can go on your resident visa application in 3 years time!

Whatever rules and regulations are in place now doesnt mean the same ones will apply in 3 years.
You can be sure that the list of absolute skill shortage will have changed a few times by then.
You can't guess what your family personal circumstances will be in 3 years time. Your daughter may be financially dependent on you now, in full time education with a student loan, no partner yada yada but in 3 years time she could have a job she loves and doesn't want to leave. She could be financially stable and able to fend for herself. She could be loving life with friends and partying. She could meet someone who means everything to her. Jeepers she could be married with kids......who knows what'll happen in the future.
Seems to me you're beating yourself up trying to find the answer to something that's just one of many possibilities.

Reactions: kaju

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
Of course they would it's their job to know but you'll likely have to pay as that is how they earn a living. You can just ask them advice. You don't need to employ them to assist in the whole process.
We can't give you a definitive answer as we don't know for sure and we aren't authorised to give immigration advice.
Have a look on the INZ website for a list of approved agents in your country. Maybe they'll give you the first hour of advice for free?
Why? Why wouldn't you just contact Immigration NZ and ask?
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/aboutnzis/contactus/

There is a fine line between giving Immigration advice and supplying information - no problem to supply that information if that information exists publicly, could be a problem if you try and interpret it, or suggest a way to proceed to another person. :)

You can look up the information yourself - 5.1.c here: F5.1 How do dependent children qualify for a resident visa? :)

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Why? Why wouldn't you just contact Immigration NZ and ask?
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/general/aboutnzis/contactus/

There is a fine line between giving Immigration advice and supplying information - no problem to supply that information if that information exists publicly, could be a problem if you try and interpret it, or suggest a way to proceed to another person. :)

You can look up the information yourself - 5.1.c here: F5.1 How do dependent children qualify for a resident visa? :)
.......because Immigration NZ aren't very good at customer service, unless it has changed drastically in the last few years?
More often than not an email asking for advice will go unreplied as they either just don't have the expertise within the department, are short staffed in the department or they don't want to commit themselves to giving advice in this manner. The latter most likely in order to force a person to the premium rate phone line. I'd assume there wouldn't be any case officers working in customer service as it would be a waste of resources when there's more than enough work for them on actual case files.
There is the option of calling the premium rate phone number but my experience of that isn't very good with the advice being a slight step up from completely useless and often will be completely different depending on who you speak to and costs heaps.

The most common sense route for advice is rarely the best.....if INZ's advice was superb then there wouldn't be any need for any authorised immigration consultants.

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
Your link is irrelevant in this case. This part of the Ops Manual relates to Family categories for dependent children migrating to NZ when their parents or people they are solely dependent on are already living in NZ as residents, permanent residents or citizens.

In the case of the OP they will be applying for a Resident Visa via the Skilled Migrant Category in around 3 years time whilst in the UK and wish to add their then 23 year old daughter to the application as a dependent child......and the answer the OP seeks is if this is possible ?

Once again, since the answer is so important to the OP, I'd recommend they ask an expert who is authorised to give the advice because no forum members, reading of the Immigration Ops Manual or even asking Immigration directly will guarantee the answer.

·
Super Moderator
5,694 Posts
.......because Immigration NZ aren't very good at customer service, unless it has changed drastically in the last few years?
More often than not an email asking for advice will go unreplied as they either just don't have the expertise within the department, are short staffed in the department or they don't want to commit themselves to giving advice in this manner. The latter most likely in order to force a person to the premium rate phone line. I'd assume there wouldn't be any case officers working in customer service as it would be a waste of resources when there's more than enough work for them on actual case files.
There is the option of calling the premium rate phone number but my experience of that isn't very good with the advice being a slight step up from completely useless and often will be completely different depending on who you speak to and costs heaps.

The most common sense route for advice is rarely the best.....if INZ's advice was superb then there wouldn't be any need for any authorised immigration consultants.
So you're suggesting to pay an agent without even trying to check with the actual authority themselves? True, you might not have much success - then again you might. :)

If you're going off performance based on experience that is a few years old, who knows? Calling them might mean you'd get put through to a Case Officer if the counter officer couldn't answer, but the customer service person might already know, or be able ask their team leader, etc. It's not a difficult or uncommon issue, although the actual assessment of dependency for over-18's can be a grey area at times depending on the details.

However, from whatever source, I wouldn't expect that anyone would give a firm commitment about something a few years away, simply as the situation can change, and at that time the applicant might or might not be deemed to be dependent. Most likely, they might want to wait and consider it at that time.

In terms of whether you "need" an immigration agent, my view is that in very many cases, a lot of people don't - a lot of people don't use them, a lot of people do. :)

cheers
kaju

·
Super Moderator
4,930 Posts
So you're suggesting to pay an agent without even trying to check with the actual authority themselves? True, you might not have much success - then again you might. :)

If you're going off performance based on experience that is a few years old, who knows? Calling them might mean you'd get put through to a Case Officer if the counter officer couldn't answer, but the customer service person might already know, or be able ask their team leader, etc. It's not a difficult or uncommon issue, although the actual assessment of dependency for over-18's can be a grey area at times depending on the details.

However, from whatever source, I wouldn't expect that anyone would give a firm commitment about something a few years away, simply as the situation can change, and at that time the applicant might or might not be deemed to be dependent. Most likely, they might want to wait and consider it at that time.

In terms of whether you "need" an immigration agent, my view is that in very many cases, a lot of people don't - a lot of people don't use them, a lot of people do. :)

cheers
kaju
Nope.
The agent suggestion wasn't mine kaju.
I was simply answering an earlier posted question by the OP who asked whether an agent would know the answer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for your help all! I think I have as near an answer as possible at this moment e.g. she can come if she is financially dependent. As said earlier, things change in 3 years. NZ may not even need OT's in 3 years! I will just continue to make preparations and save some money!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thanks for your help all! I think I have as near an answer as possible at this moment e.g. she can come if she is financially dependent. As said earlier, things change in 3 years. NZ may not even need OT's in 3 years! I will just continue to make preparations and save some money!
You may not know the answer until you apply, fill out the forms, and have immigration look at all the evidence. If you really need to know whether your daughter can come with you before you decide, it might be best to seek some sort of ruling from NZ immigration first. I'd say that at age 22-23, I'd be surprised if your daughter will be considered dependent on you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts