Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am a Canadian citizen with a british spouse and we will meet the financial requirement at the end of july. I want to go to the uk in the beginning of June to visit him, can i stay there and apply for the visa from within the uk?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not if you don't already have the right to live in the UK for work/study. As a general tourist you cannot immediately switch into a spouse visa whilst in the UK. If you can expound upon your situation and describe exactly why you need to apply for a settlement visa within the UK, then maybe we can help you to find a solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Theres not much to expound on, i was under the impression that i could do that so ive booked a flight for late june. We have all documents in order and the only thing we are waiting on is his payslip for july which states that he has for 6 months made the financial theshold. I wanted to do the premium (in person) service which means you are approved that day. From canada i will have to wait for up to a month which means i have to stay here until september. Weve been apart for many months now and i just want to speed up the process.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OK, I understand. However, that's simply not how this works. In-person premium appointments are made for those who are living in the UK already (i.e. a person who was already granted a fiancé visa and is switching to a spouse visa after marriage, or a spouse who is applying for Further Leave To Remain on an existing spouse visa). To be granted your initial right to emigrate and settle, you will have to apply online from your country of residence.

I understand you wish to speed up the process. Believe me when I say we are all in this same exact position, but there are no shortcuts.

·
Super Moderator
18,051 Posts
You only options are to apply from your home country or normal place of residence which would be a country where you are living on a long term visa, not a tourist visa. Your only choice is to apply from Canada. In person premium UK appointments are only for those who are extending a current visa like a Tier 2 work visa or a spouse visa or switching from one long term visa to another.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, I was about to make a big mistake! I guess I'm staying in Canada a while longer, that's life! All the best to you and your future. Cheers.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes, sorry. I hope the ticket you've purchased is refundable, or at least changeable. Late June is cutting it very close to have a decision made and visa in hand. Even if you just want to visit, if you have applied but haven't received your visa by then, you will have to cancel that trip as you won't have your passport.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.