Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

I'm a British citizen living in Tokyo and I want to return to the UK with my wife, who is Japanese.

I am a freelance translator, but all my work is for one company who pay me every month, and over the last twelve months I have earned enough to satisfy the financial requirement. I also have a signed letter from the head of the company I work for saying they are happy to keep on sending me work once I get to the UK, and guaranteeing me a minimal amount of work per month going forward (sufficient to meet the financial requirement).

Can I apply under category B? Or do I have to go through category F because I am technically self-employed? I can't yet apply through category F because I have only been working self-employed since May 2016 and the Japanese financial year runs Jan-Dec, i.e. I have not yet completed a full Jan-Dec year and filed a tax return for it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hello everyone, I'd appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

I'm a British citizen living in Tokyo and I want to return to the UK with my wife, who is Japanese.

I am a freelance translator, but all my work is for one company who pay me every month, and over the last twelve months I have earned enough to satisfy the financial requirement. I also have a signed letter from the head of the company I work for saying they are happy to keep on sending me work once I get to the UK, and guaranteeing me a minimal amount of work per month going forward (sufficient to meet the financial requirement).

Can I apply under category B? Or do I have to go through category F because I am technically self-employed? I can't yet apply through category F because I have only been working self-employed since May 2016 and the Japanese financial year runs Jan-Dec, i.e. I have not yet completed a full Jan-Dec year and filed a tax return for it.

Thanks!
I don't think so. Twelve months with an employer would be category A. but, in any case, it doesn't appear to be salaried employment. I believe also that payslips are a required form of evidence for salaried employment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

Hmmm. I am issued a payslip from the company every month, and my account is credited every month on the same date. But I guess willing it to be OK isn't going to make it so...

My wife has been told she can transfer straight over to the UK office if we go, and as such we plan to move to be close to her company in the UK. She can also has a confirmed offer of employment from the company on a salary of 30,000 a year, but this does not seem to be relevant to the application for a spouse visa.

Perhaps we should try getting sponsorship from her company and go in on a tier 2 instead?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so it seems category F is the one I need to go with.

I wouldn't normally file a tax return until Feb, but if I am going to leave the country I can file midway through a financial year.

So my question is: if I file a tax return in October, which reflects my income from Jan-Oct, and that income alone satisfies the financial requirement, can I use it in combination with the letter of guaranteed future work to satisfy the financial requirement?

Thankyou!

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
Ok so it seems category F is the one I need to go with.

I wouldn't normally file a tax return until Feb, but if I am going to leave the country I can file midway through a financial year.

So my question is: if I file a tax return in October, which reflects my income from Jan-Oct, and that income alone satisfies the financial requirement, can I use it in combination with the letter of guaranteed future work to satisfy the financial requirement?

Thankyou!
No. You need a full year. See FM 1.7 for details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.