Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a state sponsor visa (Victoria) but I didn't get a job in that state. I haven't traveled to Australia yet and searching job from home country.

Now, I get a job offer from an employer who is ready to apply 457 for me because my work location will be either Melbourne (Restricted in state sponsorship of Victoria) or Sydney.

1. Is it possible to apply for 457 while holding the state sponsored visa?

2. Can I simply request and tell the state about my job offer. Will they consider to allow me to work in restricted area it if I was granted the state sponsorship visa just a month back and haven't traveled yet. I mean will I be allowed to work with 190 and without applying 457?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
23,937 Posts
I have a state sponsor visa (Victoria) but I didn't get a job in that state. I haven't traveled to Australia yet and searching job from home country.

Now, I get a job offer from an employer who is ready to apply 457 for me because my work location will be either Melbourne (Restricted in state sponsorship of Victoria) or Sydney.

2. Can I simply request and tell the state about my job offer. Will they consider to allow me to work in restricted area it if I was granted the state sponsorship visa just a month back and haven't traveled yet. I mean will I be allowed to work with 190 and without applying 457?

Thanks in advance!
As per the majority view of the members here, At present there is no legal binding on you to live and work in Vic for 2 years
It's just a moral binding, nothing more then that

In case you are still feeling squeamish breaking the 190 conditions, you can apply to VIC to relax the conditions and allow you to work in Sydney
Members have reported getting the relaxation in the past

Will not recommend that you apply for 457 visa
Because , if you do, the 457 will cancel,the 190 and you will have to apply for PR again, if you wish to continue to stay in Australia

Cheers

·
Registered
579 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Hello dirkemeert,

1. Buddy, you already have a PR of 190. I hope you had disclosed this to your employer.Otherwise, the employer would not have offered you a 457.
  2. You are free to work in the country anywhere but as per the information in the forum, the moral obligation is the only thing which makes you stay in a state for 2 years, which will feed in positive details for your residence obligation when you apply for citizenship.
  3. Talk to your employer and tell them that since you have a PR for Melbourne, your process can be even simpler and the employer can proceed with the other stuff related to your job.(Your initial settlement amount, accomodation, payrate etc). Once you are satisfied that you have done justice to your employer, feel free to move out of the company and there would not be any other restrictions for you and you can still search/work in Melbourne.

Going for a temp visa in place of a permanent visa for temporary benefits is not suggested and I would not take that offer from the current company (Without the above option I quoted), instead search for a job.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dirke,
That's strange you want to give up your liberty for a temporary visa. If you hold a 190, come to Australia and look for a job. If you can't find anything, just inform DIBP that you couldn't find a job and stay in Victoria doing whatever job you can find.

In Australia the jobhunt techniques are different, there is more networking and personal contact involved. There is plenty of work, it just takes time. Applying for a job offshore is not very effective.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, replied too fast. You dont need a 457 to work. If you are on 190, only rules are you have to look for an occupation in your skillset, and use your skills in victoria for two years. I wouldnt dare to move to Sydney, but you could work in a restaurant in Victoria untill you find something in your skillset.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
dirkemeert,

What do you mean by "my work location will be either Melbourne (Restricted in state sponsorship of Victoria)..."?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts