Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's a random question, and it would be interesting if anyone knew the answer.

In the UK, you can only have a civil partnership if you're both of the same sex. However, in parts of Europe such as the Netherlands, they allow for mixed gender relationships to become a civil partnership.

If me and my American girlfriend were to travel to one of these places, have the ceremony, and then apply for a spouse visa whilst back in the UK, would it be recognised in the same way as traditional marriage would?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Friends of mine just got PACSd in France and they are opposite sexes but EU Citizens.
However, I distinctly remember someone being refused a spouse visa because their union was not recognised as traditional marriage in the UK and that couple was mixed as well. I think they entered in civil partnership in Belgium and they wrote about it here on the Forum.
Anyway, perhaps someone more knowledgeable will pop by and answer.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
No, UK won't recognise French PACS or de facto relationship for opposite-sex couples as equivalent to marriage. You will simply be treated as unmarried partnership and have to meet the specific requirements for it, including 2 years of cohabitation.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No, such kind of immigration category allows you to enter the UK if you are subject to immigration control and you are the fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person who is settled here. You must intend to get married or register your civil partnership within 6 months of your arrival in the UK, and settle here together afterwards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.