Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thing she is asking if I want to visit Isaan with her when I arrive?

ที่รักคุณจะไปอีสานกลับฉันไหม

·
Registered
369 Posts
Without being an expert. My interpretation is:

My love, when are you coming to Issan to visit me?

Wait until newforestcat gives you a true interpretation from a Thai's viewpoint.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ฉันมีความสุกที่มีคุณ

Any ideas please.
I get two completely different translations.

By the way the relationship is going very well.
We appear to both be completely in love now.
A fair few tears missing one another since last visit.

·
Registered
369 Posts
A quick commentary on translations

ฉันมีความสุกที่มีคุณ

Any ideas please.
I get two completely different translations.

By the way the relationship is going very well.
We appear to both be completely in love now.
A fair few tears missing one another since last visit.

A quick commentary on translations.

Do not get “hung up” on direct translations. Direct word-to-word translations do not exist. Dialect, , grammatical usage, educational level, slang, etc. make direct translations almost impossible. Add the complexities of transliteration as with Thai/English languages – direct translations do not work.

When I needed and paid for translation services from the legally authorized translation businesses (legally authorized by the Thai and US governments), mistakes were made that had to be corrected before I could legally proceed. So, if the professionals make errors in translations, how can we novices not make a mistake or two.

Communications deal with the transfer of concepts, thoughts, ideas and desires. What you mean, what you say, what the other person hears, what the other person believes you mean, etc. Many avenues of miscommunications exist. We must be aware of these avenues, realize they exist, and most importantly mitigate them.

In your specific case, believe and expect that every communication between you and her is/are a positive communications. If you perceive a negative, disregard it and chalk it up to miscommunications.

Conversing in secondary languages is a dual edged sword. On the con side; you may not be able to emphasis correctly how important certain things are to you, and vice-versa, on the pro side; the lack of fluency in mother languages may limit your ability to argue and may well be a blessing in disguise.

Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for the replies. Read everyone inc last detailed one :)

Another translation from a different website told me :
I have a good sense/feeling about [having] you [in my life].

Online translations told me either she had just cooked or she did not want me anymore. So I can not agree more tothe last post. Something I have quickly learned. I am sure this has led to many relatioships ending sadly.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well, your GF did use a typo 'สุก' which means 'cooked' instead of 'สุข' which means happy. Both pronounce exactly the same.

I am not sure about 'no longer want you' though. That must be from an utterly bad software.

BTW, I agree with Stednick. Often the same things you say in Thai and English are the other way round; for example, 'beautiful woman' is 'woman beautiful' (ผู้หญิงสวย) in Thai.

·
Registered
163 Posts
While the requested translations are not all that earth shattering, except to maybe the O/P. I will say they (the O/P) have covered their bases by posting requests like this in many Thai related forums.

Now as far as posters saying the word กลับ should be กับ. I believe it wasn't a typo like สุก/สุข(which BTW is a common typo)). . .Instead the totally Central Thai sentence construct of ที่รักคุณจะไปอีสานกลับฉันไหม is more like "return to her in Isaan", rather than "go with her". From me reading it, without any other context I come away with the meaning she's already IN Isaan..

It is anecdotal to point out there is NO word in the Thai language which directly translates into "go" or "come" (no matter what you, who ever taught you Thai or your thai/engrish dictionary says).. Those are foreign meaning for the two words ไป & มา in Thai. They are used to show movement from one point to another, either away from or towards the speaker.

You can translate them as "go/come" until the cows come home and you'll be wrong just as many times as you're right. Just as an example the beaten to death phrase thais spit out ไปไหนมา is not "go-where-come". Instead it carries the meaning of "where have you been". It's most often said to someone when they're returning back to where the person asking the question is. The actual context is; the person asking saw you leaving (going away from them), a while later they saw you again, this time returning or (approaching them).

As far as any fair or close online translations, forget it. There isn't a program in existence which comes even 50% close to plugging Thai in and getting coherent engrish out the other side.

While I do agree with "stednick" that "dialect, grammatical usage, educational level, slang, etc. make direct translations almost impossible"; in this instance there's NOT one word of slang, no non-central Thai dialects or anything which would show the educational level of the person writing. In fact word for word it's 100% Central Thai (the government approved version of the language).

I suggest if the O/P is hell-bent on having a relationship with a thai, the faster they learn thai (Central Thai) the better.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers Tod. For those into the advance Thai I believe you may be right. She was more likely stating she returned to Isaan in original post.
I am wanting to learn Thai ASAP. I purchased a decent Central Thai learning book and cd. But seems a waste and not used it. I have ordered book 1 and 2 with cds for speak isaan thai now (mixed thai and lao dialect) as appears I need this instead of Central Thai.
When with her recently for 10 days shared between Bangkok and Chiang Mai she looked for Isaan speaking people to converse with.
I am deeply in love with her. She also appears to be the same. But I have a 1 month wait till my Speak Isaan Thai books arrive. Don't want to start with Central Thai learning book in case it just confuses me. I will prob sell the later as never used it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tod, it is not normal in Thai to say "ที่รักคุณจะไปอีสานกลับฉันไหม", with due respect. I never have once heard it spoken and I doubt that I ever will. Thais love to omit many things we refer to, even the subject. To say to go to or to come to a place usually implies that it is going to be a two-way trip anyway. And if กลับ was correct, then กับ had to be there, too. กับ is not omittable. If the OP's GF meant what you suspected, she would have said "ที่รักคุณจะไป-กลับอีสานกับฉันไหม". The sentence is however unusual.

BTW, I am Thai and I did study Thai with the best teachers Thailand could offer at Triam Udom Suksa School (Payathai) and Chulalongkorn University. They are sure not Oxbridge but they are what Thais desperately try to get in. In short, I am not claiming to be an expert. But I'd like to think that I know enough to give basic advice.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Apart from สวัสดี ( hello), Thais tend to use greetings such as ' Have you had rice yet?' Gin khow rue young ( which means 'Have you had anything to eat yet?' กินข้าวหรือยัง) and ' What are you doing?' Tum arai yoo ทำอะไรอยู่.

ที่รัก = darling
คุณ= you
ทำ= make or do
อะไร= what.

We don't often use ?. That could be a bit of a hard work for the beginners of Thai.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks. I she has used the same term numeroud times. I thought she was just appreciating the love I shown her. Damn it 555

Sorry but I do have another she just sent:

ฉันมีความสุกมาก

1 - 20 of 28 Posts