Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , my family and i are thinking of moving to Australia , and im just wondering ,:confused:

1. If you could live anywhere in Australia where would it be ?
We are looking on the internet at places and are going to Brisbane later in the year to check it out , but altogether not really sure where we want to move to yet

2. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like compared to Irish schools ?

3. Does anyone regret moving ?

At the moment it is all we can think off , moving form this cold dull country to hopefully give our children a better way of life in Australia ,there seems to be nothing here anymore for people , but we have a good life over here with family and friends and its a bit scary to think we might be starting all over again with no family and friends , but we really do want to do this move (wish we could take everybody with us ):)

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi mskatelyn,

1. If you could live anywhere in Australia where would it be ?
We are looking on the internet at places and are going to Brisbane later in the year to check it out , but altogether not really sure where we want to move to yet
We're living here! :) Limestone Coast in South Australia. For us it's not too hot, it's not humid, it's still warmer than the UK and it has water. You really need to know what you are looking for - what climate do you like? Do you like big cities or smaller towns? Where will you find work? Etc.

We toured around Victoria and South Australia on a couple of trips to see what we wanted since we knew we didn't want a state capital or major city. Saying that we are in the second largest city in South Australia but that's still only about 25,000 people :)

2. Can anyone tell me what the schools are like compared to Irish schools ?
Sorry I can't help you there but other members may be able to answer that one.

3. Does anyone regret moving ?
No. We love it here. That doesn't mean that I don't miss family and friends though. We've been over here nearly 3 years and I can't imagine moving back to the UK since our life is so much better here. However it may be worth reading other threads (try a search) on missing family since some members have moved back since they could settle here.

Life is not all rosy here either. Migration rules are changing frequently to try to cope with changing global financial crisis, in some regional areas unemployment is up and factories / businesses have closed. Interest rates for mortgages are already close to 8% and may go up again this year. The country now has a deficit to pay off and although it's not as bad as European countries it's still bad for Australia.

When moving here you have to go out and mix with the locals to find new friends and settle in. If you don't do that then in my opinion you won't be happy here. We actively went out and joined clubs and are now considered part of the community but we didn't know anyone locally when we moved over.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kaz101 and thank you for your input, the climate where you are sounds lovely and it sounds just what my husband would love,
we would need to be near a big city for his work but i would love to live in a smaller town , we still have to look around to see where we would like or be able to live ,

I know life over there is not always going to be great , but with the good weather , hopefully we can keep smiling,:)

Thanks for all your advice

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi mskatelyn
As kaz101 says, you may need to look around and see where you like. Qld is vastly different to SA & VIC re:humidity, rainfall & heat.
What do you like about where you live now? What are your dealbreakers? What must you have?
I live in Melb; it's very multicultural,a big city but feels smaller. I am within 9k of CBD, but the burbs stretch 40-50k out! I needed a sense of some culture like cinema/restaurants/festivals/theatre/sport/museums and felt that Melb could give me that somewhat.
If you are close to fam & friends, it will be hard. No amount of skype, text or calls can replace sitting down with a cuppa. If you like RTE or BBC you will be disappointed with the quality of Ozi tv and the large number of ads shown. If you like a big choice of newspapers you are in for a shock. I am here 5yrs and will always miss this. But saying that, you will spend more times outdoors and have less time for tv or papers. I have managed to visit Irl annually but it is very very expensive on AUD!

Schools are vastly different. Probably a lesser standard. Big big emphasis on sport-that is the heart of aussie culture. The general consensus is better discipline in catholic and private schools than state. You will pay out minimum of 12-1500 p.a. for catholic fees plus whatever else expenses.
This country is not cheap. For some reason, one always thinks that it is coming from Europe. Car insurance, dental care & even the price of a pair of nickers are astronomical. Out in the country realestate will be cheap but food & fuel will be pricier. Yes it's value here on the Euro but if you earn AUD, you will soon understand unless you or partner are going to be earning 100k+

For me it's a great place to live, but it is different, very different

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moved to Melbourne about two years ago, and haven't had regrets yet.

Even in the city is Australia very different then Europe. Nature is still nature, distances are way greater, Internet is way slower, they still use bank-cheques.

It is in many ways a step back, but that's actually what I like most about Australia. I love chopping my own firewood and burning it in the open fire place, just to give one example.

I reckon it's a very good idea to make up your own mind about where you want to live, and then find the part of Australia that suits your wishes. It's big and diverse enough to provide what you want.

Cheers, Stephan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts