Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently in the UK, my wife and I, who are both UK citizens are quite keen to retire in Spain, but my wife has a sister, living near Cape Town, who suffers from a Psychiatric Illness. Her condition has been stable, due to medication, for a long time and she has been living independentyl up till now.

As she gets older (she's in her 50's) she will need more assistance - ie make sure she takes her medication, and to give her companionship etc..

We are not too keen to return to Cape Town, giving the present government, levels of violent crime etc - but the big question is, would we be allowed to bring her to Spain as our dependent??

I'm just wondering if anyone on the forum has been in a similar situation and could offer any insights? :confused2:

TIA!

BTW My in-laws - living in Holland - have been told that, unless she is a political refugee seeking asylum, she could only stay a maximum of three months per year in the Netherlands... So I'm wondering if Spain has similar rules...

·
Registered
393 Posts
BTW My in-laws - living in Holland - have been told that, unless she is a political refugee seeking asylum, she could only stay a maximum of three months per year in the Netherlands...
What is the citizenship of your in-laws?

·
Administrator
36,374 Posts
What is the citizenship of your in-laws?
or rather, what nationality is the sister-in-law?
edit - having read the OP properly it doesn't much matter - non-EU is non-EU

I'm almost certain that an adult sister wouldn't count as a dependant as a rule

however - maybe in this case it would be possible, if she were living in your 'charge' & were unable to look after herself

http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es...tos/CiudadanosComunitarios/hoja105/index.html
Se entiende por familiares:

1. Al cónyuge, siempre que no haya recaído el acuerdo o la declaración de nulidad del vínculo matrimonial, o divorcio
  2. A la pareja con la que mantenga una unión análoga a la conyugal inscrita en un registro público establecido a estos efectos en un Estado miembro de la Unión Europea o en un Estado parte del Espacio Económico Europeo, y siempre que no se haya cancelado dicha inscripción, lo que deberá ser suficientemente acreditado. Las situaciones de matrimonio e inscripción como pareja registrada se considerarán, en todo caso, incompatibles entre sí.
  3. A sus descendientes directos, y a los de su cónyuge o pareja registrada siempre que no haya recaído el acuerdo o la declaración de nulidad del vínculo matrimonial, divorcio o se haya cancelado la inscripción registral de la pareja, menores de veintiún años, mayores de dicha edad que vivan a su cargo o incapaces. Se entenderá que están a cargo aquellos familiares cuyo sostén económico lo proporciona el ciudadano de la Unión y necesitan ayuda material para cubrir sus necesidades básicas.
  4. A sus ascendientes directos, y a los de su cónyuge o pareja registrada que vivan a su cargo, siempre que no haya recaído el acuerdo o la declaración de nulidad del vínculo matrimonial, o divorcio, o se haya cancelado la inscripción registral de pareja. Se entenderá que están a cargo aquellos familiares cuyo sostén económico lo proporciona el ciudadano de la UE y necesitan ayuda material para cubrir sus necesidades básicas

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm almost certain that an adult sister wouldn't count as a dependant as a rule
That's what I think, too. Best to speak with someone who works for Immigration to find out if there's a loophole somewhere.

The parents who live in Holland might have a better chance of bringing her there as their descendant, but if the parents are non-EU they are probably out of luck.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
...but my wife has a sister, living near Cape Town, who suffers from a Psychiatric Illness. Her condition has been stable, due to medication, for a long time and she has been living independentyl up till now.

As she gets older (she's in her 50's) she will need more assistance - ie make sure she takes her medication, and to give her companionship etc..
Kingsway - if you don't mind my asking - why do you think your sister-in-law has a prognosis of destabilising, when she's been stable and independent now for a long time?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts