Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it mandatory to apply the PR for whole family in case of skilled independent visa? Can't I apply only for me now?

I was married and we applied for mutual divorce 4 months back. Court had given the date for second motion after 8 months (4 months from now). What status (Married?) should I mention when I apply for PR after getting a response from ACS?
If I mention that I'm married, do they want me to provide any documents from my current wife (future ex wife)? Someone mentioned that if I'm married at the time of applying for PR, I can't apply it only for me. I must apply it for the family. I don't want to wait another one month because I will lose points on my age.

*I don't have any kid out of the marriage.

Reactions: commie_rick

·
Registered
321 Posts
You can applly for yourself only but if you mention that you are married you will have to include your wife in application as "non-migrating family member" and you will have to provide her pcc and medicals

Reactions: karanbansal91

·
Registered
23,933 Posts
You can applly for yourself only but if you mention that you are married you will have to include your wife in application as "non-migrating family member" and you will have to provide her pcc and medicals
Further to the above in view of the strained relationship, I doubt the wife would co operate in getting her PCC and medicals done

Cheers

·
Registered
321 Posts
Also keep in mind that you will have 2 months to lodge visa application after getting invitation. If you will get your divorce certificate during that time, you can submit your eoi as "married" and visa application as "divorced". Also any time you can submit "change in circumstances" while your application is in the process.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You should be able to report your marital status as Separated, and if needed you can provide copies of court documents as evidence of the status of your divorce.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Also keep in mind that you will have 2 months to lodge visa application after getting invitation. If you will get your divorce certificate during that time, you can submit your eoi as "married" and visa application as "divorced". Also any time you can submit "change in circumstances" while your application is in the process.
On lighter notes but really serious question*

What if couple is divorced just after VISA grant? Would the partner still be permanent resident? :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! It means I don't have to submit any documents from my wife if I submit eoi with status as married. And later I can submit "change in circumstances" as soon as I get divorce. That could be before lodging the visa application or after.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

What if couple is divorced just after VISA grant? Would the partner still be permanent resident? :p
It depends on whether the initial entry has been done. If the initial entry hasn't been done, then the visa holders are obligated to notify DIBP of the change in circumstances and the partner's PR may be cancelled.

·
Registered
222 Posts

If the visa is validated it will be valid for the dependent person also

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If the visa is validated it will be valid for the dependent person also
That's incorrect. Each visa holder must validate their own visa by entering Australia before the Initial Entry Date. But if the relationship breaks down before the visa holder enters Australia, they are obligated to notify DIBP of the change in the relationship (same requirement as during the processing of the visa application) and their visa may be cancelled.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's incorrect. Each visa holder must validate their own visa by entering Australia before the Initial Entry Date. But if the relationship breaks down before the visa holder enters Australia, they are obligated to notify DIBP of the change in the relationship (same requirement as during the processing of the visa application) and their visa may be cancelled.
I also know that the visa needs to be validated by each individual person in a relationship, and we need to notify if the relationship changes before grant, but the person has asked what if the couple gets divorced few months or years after getting grant

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts