Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin' all!

My partner and I (both English) are Guardians for an Englishman's property in France, and we are a little concerned about our situation.

We live in a tiny pidgeonniare adjacent to the main house which we have rent/bill-free, and are only 'required' to work 16 hours a week between us. We are paid £433 a month between us (which is becoming impossible to live on), into an English account (so it costs us to get the cash over here), and now our boss has been frightened into paying us via Cheque Emploi.

My question is; what is the normal set-up for this type of employment? My own research certainly suggests the rent/bill-free accomodation is the norm, but what about the payment of salary/registration into the French tax system etc?

I've seen many ads for the same kind of jobs as we're doing (but consciderably better paid...) and would love to know just how much of a ride we are being taken for (there is much more to our scenario than I can write here...)

Any help/insights from fellow guardians would be a great help, particularly as I've been lumbered with finding out all about the Cheque Emploi system 'cos the boss can't be bothered...

Thank you

G

·
It really depends what you are expected to do around the property, and how much it would cost you to rent a similar property (and pay the utilities) in your area. I had a guardian living in my place for five years while I was elsewhere in France, and later in SE Asia. He had the place rent-free but was only expected to keep an eye on the place, occasionally cut the grass, rather than put in any significant hours of work each week. So no wages paid.

Sixteen hours a week at SMIC sounds pretty much what you're getting in actual wages - then free accommodation and utilities? Doesn't sound too bad a deal to me. The French 'guardiens' I know working part-time around a property would think that pretty fair, but then they would be using the remaining hours of the week to work elsewhere, usually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends what you are expected to do around the property, and how much it would cost you to rent a similar property (and pay the utilities) in your area. I had a guardian living in my place for five years while I was elsewhere in France, and later in SE Asia. He had the place rent-free but was only expected to keep an eye on the place, occasionally cut the grass, rather than put in any significant hours of work each week. So no wages paid.

Sixteen hours a week at SMIC sounds pretty much what you're getting in actual wages - then free accommodation and utilities? Doesn't sound too bad a deal to me. The French 'guardiens' I know working part-time around a property would think that pretty fair, but then they would be using the remaining hours of the week to work elsewhere, usually.
Hi Pete, thanks for the response.

I think my point really is more about the whole tax/contributions issue, and whether Cheque Emploi is the normal way to be paid: I say our employer was 'frightened' into the Cheque Emploi because he seems to be avoiding paying tax/contributions either in UK or France, and a recent guest of his (quite rightly) pointed out that we are illegal immigrants, and he would be liable should we have an accident whilst working on his property.

We've been making noises about this to him for 18 months or so, but without much of a response. As I said in my earlier post, the situation is a little more involved than there is room for here, but we just want to be working in France legally, and full-time paying contributions etc. Where we are, finding additional work would be nothing short of miraculous!

We intend registering under the auto-entrepenure system asap, as we have certain skills that we want to exploit, but there is a way to go before we will be at a stage when we can do that.

Tim

·
Registered
664 Posts
Good morning - I am not a guardian but I do get paid occasionally by Cheque Emploi for English lessons - you receive a cheque from your employer which is paid into your bank account as normal.

However, your boss has to register with CESU service in St Etienne - www.cesu.urssaf.fr. There is an online demonstration of how the system works - but I think the whole site is in French

You receive your pay net of social security cotisations - so you then can claim your Carte Vitale if you don't already have one. I presume you have a French social security number - you will need one to give to your boss when he registers under this scheme.

Anyone can pay tradesmen in this manner - though as a teacher of the language of Shakespeare as the French often say - I don't consider myself a tradesmen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.