Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving to the UAE in August to teach and am looking for people with some commonalities so that I am not alone! I have tried to fine UAE teaching groups, but none are filled with Americans. Please help!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Seriously? THAT'S the title of your thread? WOW! One of the beauties of Dubai is that it's a melting pot of nationalities and cultures.

You'll need to change that attitude quick smart matey. Why would teaching groups be 'filled' with Americans? Again, melting pot.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Seriously? THAT'S the title of your thread? WOW! One of the beauties of Dubai is that it's a melting pot of nationalities and cultures.

You'll need to change that attitude quick smart matey. Why would teaching groups be 'filled' with Americans? Again, melting pot.
You have to worry about what the OP is teaching the kids with such a blinkered attitude.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My attitude is fine. if you read my post, I'm looking for people that share some of my "commonalities". I don't think that me doing that should be a problem or make me seem closed minded. I've already researched and found that the UAE is a melting pot, so this is not news. Thank you for your response though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Evanedu,

I hope the intent of your post is not intended to add to the already enormous chasm that exists between races, religions and nationalities. I am going to assume it isn't.

There is a counselor in Dubai that has some enormously informative and entertaining videos on YouTube, many of which are focused on teaching in Dubai. Not all of his videos relate directly to me (he is cool, young and black where I am cool, old and white), but many have given me a sense of teaching and working in Dubai. I think some of this was the intent of your message. If you do watch his videos and find they have value for you, please give him a shout and tell him I (Jay for New Zealand) sent you.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I don't recall the OP mentioning moving to UAQ - it was another member who first mentioned that!
If you look through their posts, they've been offered a teaching job at a private school in UAQ and ask for advice in another thread.

So as I said, UAQ is NOT Dubai and is completely different. Watch out for the tumbleweeds as they drift by.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
If you look through their posts, they've been offered a teaching job at a private school in UAQ and ask for advice in another thread.

So as I said, UAQ is NOT Dubai and is completely different. Watch out for the tumbleweeds as they drift by.
At least barracuda is near - and the only traffic jams are caused by feral camels and goats....

(And yes I know they aren't really feral and are owned but you get the point).

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Hello Evanedu,

I hope the intent of your post is not intended to add to the already enormous chasm that exists between races, religions and nationalities. I am going to assume it isn't.

There is a counselor in Dubai that has some enormously informative and entertaining videos on YouTube, many of which are focused on teaching in Dubai. Not all of his videos relate directly to me (he is cool, young and black where I am cool, old and white), but many have given me a sense of teaching and working in Dubai. I think some of this was the intent of your message. If you do watch his videos and find they have value for you, please give him a shout and tell him I (Jay for New Zealand) sent you.

This link is to his first video "5 Things I've Learned in 5 Weeks in Dubai."
How are you a Hoosier from NZ?

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
If it's the place I've heard of in UAQ, I think there's not much chance OP will be around long enough to make friends anyway....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts