Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! I have recently joined the forum and have read through a few threads before posting for the 1st time. I am so excited to be part of expatforum and look forward to growing with the community.

Johnny

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
hello everyone! I have recently joined the forum and have read through a few threads before posting for the 1st time. I am so excited to be part of expatforum and look forward to growing with the community.

Johnny
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Your thread title says you are coming to the UK in Aug 2012, are you coming as a student, visitor, spouse or partner?

Nosy, I'm so nosy :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as I know... We are just going to UK with just our passports. I was informed that we don't need a visa for up to 6 months being US citizens. Now this is where I am confused... Do we both need a visa to be hired in the UK with no visa or work permit?

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
As far as I know... We are just going to UK with just our passports. I was informed that we don't need a visa for up to 6 months being US citizens. Now this is where I am confused... Do we both need a visa to be hired in the UK with no visa or work permit?
A visitors visa is just that - you can visit, you cannot work.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
So does that mean I am not hire-able while I am visiting?

I was told I wouldn't need a visa to find employment in UK and that I could be hired by the employer where they would take care of the sponsoring for me.

Totally and absolutely wrong. As a US citizen, if you want to work in the UK you need a visa and usually a sponsoring company before you arrive.

Your 6 month visitor visa does NOT allow you to work, and you cannot get a work visa while in the UK.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldnt try to find ANY type of employment there unless you have the visa saying you can. Disregarding the UK's policies could lead you to having very negative consequences should you try and apply or visit later on and even a ban from the country.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Totally and absolutely wrong. As a US citizen, if you want to work in the UK you need a visa and usually a sponsoring company before you arrive.

Your 6 month visitor visa does NOT allow you to work, and you cannot get a work visa while in the UK.
And if they find out when you arrive at UK border that you've come without a visa, there is a good chance you will be denied entry, detained and put on the next flight home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what is the best thing to do to bypass all this? What if a company decides to hire me while I am visiting? Is that even possible? Would my best bet be to apply for work now and hope that someone wants to hire me upon arrival?

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
So what is the best thing to do to bypass all this? What if a company decides to hire me while I am visiting? Is that even possible? Would my best bet be to apply for work now and hope that someone wants to hire me upon arrival?
You can't bypass 'all this'.

If you want to work in the UK then you need to find a prospective employer who is willing to go to the effort and cost of sponsoring you by getting you a work visa.

As you have already said, you are supposedly only going for 6 months, so your prospects of getting an employer is minimal to say the least.

Be prepared for the Border Agency to ask how you intend to support yourself for the 6 months you are in the UK with a visitors visa.

Just like the US Border agency they tend to get suspicious of people who can 'afford' to have 6 months of vacation.

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts
First of all, neither of you can come to the UK to work or intern without a visa. If you find a sponsor for a job while you are are here on a visitor visa, you will have to return to the US to apply for the proper visa. You cannot switch from a visitor visa to any other visa and your partner cannot just turn up for an internship without a proper visa. And a visitor visa is not the proper visa. You cannot do work of any kind, paid or unpaid on a visitor visa.

It looks like your partner needs to get the visa situation straightened out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You can't bypass 'all this'.

If you want to work in the UK then you need to find a prospective employer who is willing to go to the effort and cost of sponsoring you by getting you a work visa.

As you have already said, you are supposedly only going for 6 months, so your prospects of getting an employer is minimal to say the least.

Be prepared for the Border Agency to ask how you intend to support yourself for the 6 months you are in the UK with a visitors visa.

Just like the US Border agency they tend to get suspicious of people who can 'afford' to have 6 months of vacation.
I only said I was going for 6 months due to a passport only allowing a "6 month stay" I intend to stay longer and live in the UK and eventually get a flat with partner. We currently have a place to stay with a friend 30 mins away from London.

I understand that I will be questioned upon arrival.

I appreciate everyone's responses.

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I only said I was going for 6 months due to a passport only allowing a "6 month stay" I intend to stay longer and live in the UK and eventually get a flat with partner. We currently have a place to stay with a friend 30 mins away from London.

As a US citizen you can stay in the UK for up to 6 months as a visitor on the Visa Waiver Program.

Unless you have the relevant work/study/investment visa you are not allowed to stay any longer.

In your current situation you cannot 'live' in the UK without the necessary visa - that would be illegal.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts

If you were to say that to the immigration officer on arrival, I will guarantee they will deny both of you entry and take steps to remove you from UK without your even stepping out of the airport building, or just keep you in a detention centre until your next flight.

So please don't get on a flight to UK without first sorting out your visa!

·
Administrator
51,953 Posts
So does that mean I am not hire-able while I am visiting?

I was told I wouldn't need a visa to find employment in UK and that I could be hired by the employer where they would take care of the sponsoring for me.
Sort of - IF you can find a job with an employer who is willing and able to sponsor a foreigner for a job (not just any employer can do so), you'll first have to return to the US to wait for the paperwork to come through before you can apply for the appropriate visa with working privileges.

As you might think, the process is a major PITA for the employer, so it's exceedingly unlikely you'll be considered for most jobs unless you have some sort of unusual qualifications that are in short supply in the UK.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.