Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have a question about calculating the sponsor annual salary for the spouse application.

Before the start of the new tax year, the sponsor was earning the amount needed to meet the financial requirements. After the start of the new tax year, his rate per hour increased slightly and therefore his gross income was a bit more per week. In calculating the annual salary, does the sponsor use his income after the new tax year (multiplied by 52), or the one before the new tax year? Or alternatively does the sponsor need to sum up his gross income for the last 26 weeks, divide it by 6, and multiply by 12?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I want to follow my question with another one as well.

In the employment letter, my employer has stated my current rate and hours, and based on this he calculated my annual income in the letter. If the right way to calculate my annual income for the application is the third one I mentioned, where my income for the last 26 weeks is summed and averaged, does the letter from my employer need to state the salary based on such calculation, or should he leave it based on my current rate (which will give different results to what will be put in appendix 2)?

Finally, where my employer needs to state the period over which I have been paid the level of income replied upon in the application, what exactly should he write? Should it be something like "hello_world91 has been paid the level of income relied upon in the application since [date]", or should it be "hello_world91 has been paid a level of income above £18,600 per annum since [date]"? Or does he need to state again the calculated income?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just thought I'd bring this thread back from the second page, and hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice.

Apologies for the bother.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
It's my understanding that the hourly pay is now calculated as an average (used to be based on lowest month of earnings). If you're applying through category A, you would add up the payslips, divide the total by the number of months you are submitting payslips for (i.e. 6 months for category A), then multiply by 12 to get average annual salary.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong?

Edit: Quoted from https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Section 5.1.4:

Where the person is in non-salaried employment – the level of gross annual
employment income relied upon in the application will be the annual equivalent of the
person’s average gross monthly income from non-salaried employment in the 6 months
prior to the date of application (where that employment was held throughout that period).

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
It's as clever-octopus describes - taking an average over 6 months and annualise it.
As for your employment letter, ideally they should make the mention of the fact you have had a recent pay increase and show both the previous hourly rate and present, and calculate the level of pay relied upon in your application through a mixture of previous and current rate of pay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's as clever-octopus describes - taking an average over 6 months and annualise it.
As for your employment letter, ideally they should make the mention of the fact you have had a recent pay increase and show both the previous hourly rate and present, and calculate the level of pay relied upon in your application through a mixture of previous and current rate of pay.
Thanks for the reply.

Just to clarify and make sure I understand everything completely. So in the appendix 2 when it asks for the sponsor annual income before tax, we should put a value based on the average over the last 6 months, but on the employment letter it should be based on a mixture of previous and current rate?

·
Registered
39,065 Posts
No, the two should be the same. You put the average over 6 months, which includes both old and new rates of pay.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.