Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We live in Mijas/Fuengirola area on the CDS. We suffer extremely badly with Calc/Limescale build up in our water Fossets/toilets/Water heaters and kettles. Does anybody know of a solution/company that may be available to us. We are sick of descaling everything. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Well there are literally hundreds of companies and products available. Be warned that many of the devices sold simply don't work. My outlaws have a very successful system but I can't recall off hand what make it is. I'll find out and post. Also, where you install the device is very important. Do you have a well or mains water?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
OK then the device has to be attached where your mains water enters the house. Haven't heard back from the outlaws yet, but beware any of the magnetic systems - they are based on a fallacy.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
OK then the device has to be attached where your mains water enters the house. Haven't heard back from the outlaws yet, but beware any of the magnetic systems - they are based on a fallacy.
About a year ago we had to replace the boiler in our rental house in the UK and the installer insisted that we should fit a magnetic anti scale device. We refused and used a different installer.

I then complained to the ASA about advertisements for these devices and as a result it is not allowed to make any claims of efficacy for them unless there is robust evidence that they work.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
The best solution is to use a descaler that deals with all the water as it enters the house. I have one of those things that attaches to the pipes and I think it works to some extent but only if the water doesn't stand because the valency bonds (broken by the gadget) reform. We still get free scale in the hot water supply but it is much finer ans softer. For the kettle which is upstream of the gadget, it is a case of vinegar once a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts