Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it practical to drive (or be driven) from Cairo to Hurgarda for the weekend?

I'd love to have a boat on the coast for weekend breaks.:fish2:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Is it practical to drive (or be driven) from Cairo to Hurgarda for the weekend?

I'd love to have a boat on the coast for weekend breaks.:fish2:
It's quite a drive - we did it once for a long weekend and it was quite a trek. I think it was at least 6-8 hours. I am sure there is somewhere nearer where rich Egyptians and expats keep weekend retreats. I've forgotten the name but will have a think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I live in Hurghada and travel to and from Cairo from time to time - I can get to the airport in less than 5 hours if I am driving or being driven. Often the easiest way is to take the overnight bus - very cheap and very comfortable - I usually buy two seats so that I don't get hassled on the bus or have to sit next to someone smelly :)

The reefs here are incredible for swimming, diving, snorkelling from your own boat or you can rent one for a weekend. All depends how much money you want to spend - renting a boat with some crew to look after the boat and to feed you whilst at sea is a lot less than you would think.

Just ask if you need any more help.
Tessa
p.s. the dolphins here are pretty cool too :)

·
Registered
617 Posts
it takes approx. 4.5-5 hours by car, from the start of the Ain Sokhna road. I do it regularly, it is ok, a little bit boring sometimes, max. speed is for the longest part 110km/hr.

I think that more Egyptians/foreigners go to Ain el Sokhna for the weekend, a lot of resorts and hotels there!

·
Registered
607 Posts
it takes approx. 4.5-5 hours by car, from the start of the Ain Sokhna road. I do it regularly, it is ok, a little bit boring sometimes, max. speed is for the longest part 110km/hr.

I think that more Egyptians/foreigners go to Ain el Sokhna for the weekend, a lot of resorts and hotels there!
That's the place I was thinking of - Ain el Sokhna! It looked quite nice although I didn't spend long there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts