Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

after 4-5 months of CAF just rolling smoothly along, I now received a letter with questions regarding my "droit de sejour". I have not reached them by phone, and will stop by in person, but I'd like to be able to ask better questions and need some input.

So, here it goes:
1) They'd like to know if I have a "titre de sejour" - is copy of my EU passport sufficient? They don't explicitly mention a "carte de sejour", should I include a copy the excerpt from https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F16003?
2) Since I am not retired and not working for money (stay-at-home-mom), how do I best show my financial resources for the months to come, i.e. my husband's future income? Is a copy of his work contract sufficient here?

There are other questions, but I think I got them figured out.

Any tips for me?

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
I'm no expert on CAF, but here goes:

1. I would think that a copy of your German passport - or even better, your German identity card - would establish your "droite de séjour." The national identity card sometimes works better than a passport because technically, the i.d. card "proves" your nationality (at least in France).

2. Again, I would think that your husband's contract would be sufficient. Normally they tend to look at past earnings rather than future earnings, so if you have anything (bank statements, pay slips, etc.) to document what he earned in his last position, you might keep those handy.

We've got some members who are more current with CAF and their procedures, and maybe we can entice them to jump in here.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Usually when CAF start asking about droit au séjour, what they are actually looking for is evidence of legal residence, ie your EU passport plus clarification of your status here and if applicable, evidence that any conditions relating to that status have been met. An EU passport or ID card on its own proves that you can visit France but doesn't on its own prove that you are entitled to be here as a resident rather than a visitor.

I don't know how this translates to your situation but I would imagine that a copy of your passports plus a copy of your husband's employment contract would do the job. Odd that they should ask for this out of the blue though - was there an end date on one of the documents that you originally provided 4-5 months ago when first establishing your rights, and has this end date just been passed? If so, I guess they just need an updated version of that document.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thankyou for your reply.

I will send a copy of my ID card again - they have by now received 5 copies! But here it goes again. And I will send the employment contract plus a payslip.

@EuroTrash - that's a good point - my husband's visa is expiring at the end of July, and as my stay here is connected to his income, it might be actually my husband's titre de sejour they are after... I will send a copy of the recipisse as well, the card de sejour is in the making and will come with the typical summer month delay.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
Ah, I think you may be onto something there. Your husband's right to work (i.e. droite de séjour) is based on your exercising of your EU right to live and work in France. Does your husband have an actual visa or is he applying for a carte de séjour based on your EU nationality?

If he has an actual visa, then the "proof" that the renewal is in process (i.e. the recipisse) may be what they are after.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, I think you may be onto something there. Your husband's right to work (i.e. droite de séjour) is based on your exercising of your EU right to live and work in France. Does your husband have an actual visa or is he applying for a carte de séjour based on your EU nationality?

If he has an actual visa, then the "proof" that the renewal is in process (i.e. the recipisse) may be what they are after.
Cheers,
Bev
@Bevdeforges, he is applying for a carte de séjour as a chercheur scientifique. My prefecture won't grant him a droite de séjour vie et famille, as I don't earn money right now. As I learned, this depends on the views of the different prefectures, in some places it does not matter if the EU citizen earns the money or the partner, here it does. But that it turn means, that they also think, they I can only be here, if he has a right to be here, although I am German. No one seems to worry about the children (so far).

It is all not very straight forward, but once more, being polite and providing an overabundance of documents has so far worked very well for me.

Thanks again for the tip to check the reason for this particular date. I just did not connect the dots earlier, and am secretively wondering, why they did not ask him for his droite de séjour plain and simple.

·
Administrator
50,395 Posts
You're absolutely right to just remain polite and just carry on. And your observations about how one prefecture will accept this while the next one over may not. Once he has his carte de séjour, you should be good to go, but as they say "getting there is half the fun." But perhaps the recipisse will convince them that everything is in process.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You're absolutely right to just remain polite and just carry on. And your observations about how one prefecture will accept this while the next one over may not. Once he has his carte de séjour, you should be good to go, but as they say "getting there is half the fun." But perhaps the recipisse will convince them that everything is in process.
Cheers,
Bev

Yes, it remains to be seen.:fingerscrossed: It is in their hands now, it's summer, and I will be waiting patiently not expecting much before September :bathbaby:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts