Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I looked through the CAF threads (there are lots of them) but didn't see my questions answered.

I need to file for CAF to determine my family code which in turns determines how much money my kid pays for his school lunches!

Recall I am a visiting fellow and draw a stipend (but not a salary). Hence I do not pay into social security.

So a few questions:

a) Am I entitled to a CAF deduction on anything given I don't pay into social security?
b) How does one get a CAF assessment? Can it be done over the internet or do you have to make a meeting?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hi, Faria.
You're talking about the QF - quotient familial - the CAF calculates it bases on the revenues you annualy declare.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
*Raria
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems you aren't registered with the CAF yet?
You register when you apply for one of the many services (allocations) that the CAF provides for those who are entitled.
The QF is often required by administration who deal with school transport or help financing school material -"transport scolaire", "bourse scolaire" and in your case "cantine scolaire".
Explain that you're not yet registered with the CAF, don't yet have a QF, and tell them you'll let them know as soon as you can. They'll bill you full price.

You can always try to file an application for "allocations familiales" or "allocation logement" or anything else you might have a right to. If they accept, you'll be registered with them.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Right. So same two question about replace CAF with QF!
a) - no, you won't be entitled. Not because you don't pay into sécurité sociale but because you simply are not registered with CAF. To be clear there is no direct CAF deduction. Other administrations use the CAF's QF (which is a reference of the financial status of your household) to calculate eventual exemptions/deductions or not.

b) - anyone registered with CAF logs in to their online CAF account and can download à pdf attesting their QF.

c) - does this help you or just add to your confusion ?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Raria, you would need to register with CAF. This cannot be done online. Not sure if it's possible to make appointments where you are - if not, then you will need to visit the office and queue up. Queues can be very long, and it is best to be there well before opening time. It is CAF that would determine whether or not you are eligible (but since you have a one year long-stay visa, you may well be). You would need to take evidence of your income for 2016 (I believe that would be for both yourself and your husband), your passport with your visa in it, ditto for your husband, your children's birth certificates and passports, evidence of residence (normally rent receiipts/lease/utility bill/s) - plus most likely some other documentation that they will ask you for.

Frankly, it might be easiest to just pay the full canteen charge.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
I registered with CAF online. As I recall, if you go onto their website start filling in your details to do a simulation for a particular benefit it invites you to create an account. I think after the first stage of the setup processI had to wait for my access codes to come through the post, for security reasons I suppose, before I could start using my account. The website gives you a list of the justificatifs you need to provide, according to your circumstances, and you can scan them and upload them. The system works well, you can check back after a couple of days to see the status of the documents you uploaded, whether they have been processed yet and whether they've been accepted and whether there is anything still outstanding. I do everything online, I've never actually been to CAF in person, I don't even know where my CAF office is.

However as we all know circumstances alter cases, so all I am saying is that sometimes it is possible to register with CAF online but that doesn't mean that it is always possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts