Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I need some advice on benefits in France. Basically I moved to France in January and immediately started working for a family (childcare), became pregnant and was then given my notice (July) so was advised to register with Pole Emploi which I did. In the meantime I applied to the CAF and was refused in September as my husband pays contributions to the uk and I wasn't in the 'system' at the time (pole emploi still making decision about claim). I have just got notification that I AM entitled to chomage so have e mailed the CAF this morning but they say I am still not entitled to CAF benefits due to my husbands situation and don't seem to accept me on my own rights.

However I cannot continue to claim chomage after 14/11/13- when baby is due.......so what do I do?

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi, my wife Rossi is also pregnant and as long as she is from an EU country and your husband has a registered business such as being an auto-entrepreneur you should be given a document by your French gynecologist after the 3rd month. You send this to the RSI (Regime Sociale Independants) based in Balma, Toulouse along with a copy of your passport, business registration documents and birth certificate (translated into French). You will then immediately be covered by the French Health System and issued a NI number. Anyway, that is what we did and all went smoothly. Not sure of your exact circumstances with your husband still paying contributions in the UK. Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
686 Posts
If your husband is still working and paying NI contributions in the UK then it is the UK who should cover your healthcare in France - have a look at this form

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/ca8454.pdf

For CAF - the general conditions to obtain any benefits are detailed here:

Conditions générales | caf.fr

but again, it is possible that you should be covered by the UK if your husband is paying NI there.

In general, the French system assesses people on their family situation (i.e. for tax, benefits, etc) not their individual circumstances.

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Like Garonne, I'm wondering how your husband is still paying UK NI if you're both domiciled in France. Are we guessing you don't do French tax declarations, as a married couple? Have you not declared to the UK Authorities that you live in France, as a married couple?

h

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
Hi

... I am still not entitled to CAF benefits due to my husbands situation and don't seem to accept me on my own rights.

Thanks
Quite right; it's the ENTIRE household which is assessed here, not the individual. I'd guess you're on dodgy ground, and not only in respect of the CAF/Pole Emploi ....

h

·
Registered
686 Posts
Without knowing more about your husband's work/residence/tax&NI situation, it is very difficult to point you in the direction of getting support.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My husband has a dormant uk contract with his employers which is the reason he is still paying ni to uk however we pay French taxes so everything is above board and we are certainly not on 'dodgy ground'

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
It's a complicated one because it seems your husband is paying NI contributions, so would in theory have be entitled to an S1 to cover himself and his family in France assuming neither he nor you was working in France. But you have been working, so you have been paying into the French system direct, so does that mean that your hubbie should have become your ayant droit, or is he correctly still covered by the UK while you are in the French system? And if he's correctly in the UK system and you're in the French system, the question of who's going to pay joint family benefits gives both sides an excuse to say that the other side should pay. Maybe you need to get a statement from one or the other saying that they will not pay, and use that to convince the other one to pay.

FWIW the UK might be the best result for the first child because they will pay child benefit for one sprog and French child benefit only starts with the second sprog. Why not apply to the UK, and if they send a refusal take it to CPAM.

·
Registered
686 Posts
It looks like you are in the situation whereby you fall in the gap between the 2 systems. The French benefits system (CAF) is means tested based on your declared household (family) income in 2011. But of course you didn't live here then. Also, as your husband is paying NI in the UK, the CAF expect that he will claim family benefits from the UK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.