Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ! We have already a kid and my wife wish to get pregnated again and adopt a baby in USA.The idea: Say to our current son: Hey ! Surprise ! 2 babys raised, not only one :) So nobody will know about the adoption, specially our son and everybody will never feel different ;)

However it means that my wife will need to go to USA about 3 months before the childbirth more or less.

Fine so far.However nobody here wanna a natural childbirth.We wishes Caesarian just like our 1st son.Few years ago in several countries if the 1st childbirth was caesarian, the next ones supposed to be caesarian too.In Europe this is no longer mandatory because they proof that's no risk in natural childbirth.

So the question:

1) What about USA ? What if a mon had the 1st childbirth Caesarian ? Is the public hospital apply natural to save money in surgery ?

The answer for this in UK and others in Europe is: YES.In Brazil the answer is: If you have a private healthcare/healthinsurance you can choose.If you opt for a public hospital: Yes, they will apply natural.

ty in advance !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi ! We have already a kid and my wife wish to get pregnated again and adopt a baby in USA.The idea: Say to our current son: Hey ! Surprise ! 2 babys raised, not only one :) So nobody will know about the adoption, specially our son and everybody will never feel different ;)

However it means that my wife will need to go to USA about 3 months before the childbirth more or less.

Fine so far.However nobody here wanna a natural childbirth.We wishes Caesarian just like our 1st son.Few years ago in several countries if the 1st childbirth was caesarian, the next ones supposed to be caesarian too.In Europe this is no longer mandatory because they proof that's no risk in natural childbirth.

So the question:

1) What about USA ? What if a mon had the 1st childbirth Caesarian ? Is the public hospital apply natural to save money in surgery ?

The answer for this in UK and others in Europe is: YES.In Brazil the answer is: If you have a private healthcare/healthinsurance you can choose.If you opt for a public hospital: Yes, they will apply natural.

ty in advance !
This post is really confusing! You are trying to deliver one baby and adopt a baby at the same time in the US and kind of raise them as 10s? Are you even in the US now?

Someone can probably answer 1 better, but I think that they typical due a Caesarian if they had to do it the 1st time, but it probably depends on why they did it the 1st time. It probably also depends on your insurance, which you will probably want to have in the US.

Adopting babies in the US is not an easy task. It used to take several years to get one. It may even be harder if you are not a US citizen.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Do I. Understand this rather confusing post right - sending a woman pregnant in the last trimester to the US to deliver and adopt a child?

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do I. Understand this rather confusing post right - sending a woman pregnant in the last trimester to the US to deliver and adopt a child?
Hamm..yes, I know...confusing...because the idea is complex with a plenty of details...
So, nevermind everything, except the question regarding Caesarian in a public hospital.That's the only points that's really matters.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The majority of hospitals in the US are in the private sector.

Treatment is paid for my having medical insurance. Since you do not appear to be residents in the US and so would not have US medical insurance (and I know of no insurance company that would pay for a woman to give birth in another country not her residence) you would have to pay (a great deal) for any treatment in one of these - you would have a choice of natural or Caesarean though.

There ARE public hospitals - mainly in large cities. However since you are not resident in the US by the sounds of it, unless your wife was admitted as an emergency I don't see how she would receive the treatment in ones of these.

Your whole plan sounds loopy.

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The majority of hospitals in the US are in the private sector.

Treatment is paid for my having medical insurance. Since you do not appear to be residents in the US and so would not have US medical insurance (and I know of no insurance company that would pay for a woman to give birth in another country not her residence) you would have to pay (a great deal) for any treatment in one of these - you would have a choice of natural or Caesarean though.

There ARE public hospitals - mainly in large cities. However since you are not resident in the US by the sounds of it, unless your wife was admitted as an emergency I don't see how she would receive the treatment in ones of these.

Your whole plan sounds loopy.
Yes, she will receive any aid necessary in USA or anywhere else in the world.Nobody can deny it at least in Brazil, USA or Europe.This is a kind of emergency need.The only point I am trying to extract is: Can she choose bw Caesarian or Natural in the public hospital or not ? If not: Ok, let's pay a medical insurance.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
What's her nationality? And on what visa is she going to be entering the US?

Without resident status, it's unlikely she'll be entitled to have medical insurance except as a "tourist" - which doesn't normally include maternity coverage. (If she is already pregnant when you apply for the coverage, all coverage related to pregnancy may be excluded as a "pre-existing condition.")
Cheers,
Bev

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's her nationality? And on what visa is she going to be entering the US?

Without resident status, it's unlikely she'll be entitled to have medical insurance except as a "tourist" - which doesn't normally include maternity coverage. (If she is already pregnant when you apply for the coverage, all coverage related to pregnancy may be excluded as a "pre-existing condition.")
Cheers,
Bev
Medical Insurance is not mandatory in USA (LOL...as long ObamaCare did not implemented, right ?).Yes, she can get in USA as a tourist with no insurance.If she goes to the hospital about to childbirth, nobody can say "no" to her for obvious reasons.Yes, there is consequences for this kind of act...but nobody will let anyone dying.

Btw...forget the details.I just need to know: What if an American Citizen with no Insurance or an Mexican Illegal citizen goes to the public hospital to have the 2nd baby where the 1st baby was born by caesarian ? <--- Just concentrate in this question and forget about any other detail.I understand how relevant is the details, however I am building a plan very subject to be completed with details as long the details raises.For now I just need some basics.

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Medical Insurance is not mandatory in USA (LOL...as long ObamaCare did not implemented, right ?).Yes, she can get in USA as a tourist with no insurance.If she goes to the hospital about to childbirth, nobody can say "no" to her for obvious reasons.Yes, there is consequences for this kind of act...but nobody will let anyone dying.

Btw...forget the details.I just need to know: What if an American Citizen with no Insurance or an Mexican Illegal citizen goes to the public hospital to have the 2nd baby where the 1st baby was born by caesarian ? <--- Just concentrate in this question and forget about any other detail.I understand how relevant is the details, however I am building a plan very subject to be completed with details as long the details raises.For now I just need some basics.
I hope this is troll posting!!!!!

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
So once she's got herself to the US and she's had her caesarian - or not because that depends on why she needed her first caesarian - not on choice, what will she do?? I dont think you can simply pop along to an orphanage, choose a baby and adopt it. Also, if she were to arrive in Europe pregnant as a non EU citizen, I'm fairly sure they would want to see funds to pay for medical treatment before they allowed her to enter the country. I suspect it would be the same in the US

I'm sorry, there is not one part of your idea that could possibly work.

Jo xxx

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
The answer to your question is that if a woman in labor appears at a hospital in the U.S. without insurance (and otherwise unknown ability to pay) then she and her new baby will receive only medically necessary emergency care. She will not have a choice of how she delivers her baby. If a Cesarian is medically necessary on an emergency basis, she'll get a Cesarian. Otherwise, she won't. The hospital will do the minimum legally required: medically necessary emergency care. The hospital may also try to move her to another facility -- that's been known to happen.

The hospital of course will try to recover their costs at the highest "walk-up" rates. The patient (mother) will get a bill, with the usual bill collection process and credit score implications if unpaid.

Did that answer your question?

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So once she's got herself to the US and she's had her caesarian - or not because that depends on why she needed her first caesarian - not on choice, what will she do?? I dont think you can simply pop along to an orphanage, choose a baby and adopt it. Also, if she were to arrive in Europe pregnant as a non EU citizen, I'm fairly sure they would want to see funds to pay for medical treatment before they allowed her to enter the country. I suspect it would be the same in the US

I'm sorry, there is not one part of your idea that could possibly work.

Jo xxx
Ok..plz (everybody)...this is a very macro idea...still requires a plenty of research.I really appreciate your advise regarding adopt..I just did not reached this point of my research yet.Meanwhile...trying to understand how the things works in USA.

(Bad to know that adopt a kid in USA is not so easy)

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The answer to your question is that if a woman in labor appears at a hospital in the U.S. without insurance (and otherwise unknown ability to pay) then she and her new baby will receive only medically necessary emergency care. She will not have a choice of how she delivers her baby. If a Cesarian is medically necessary on an emergency basis, she'll get a Cesarian. Otherwise, she won't. The hospital will do the minimum legally required: medically necessary emergency care. The hospital may also try to move her to another facility -- that's been known to happen.

The hospital of course will try to recover their costs at the highest "walk-up" rates. The patient (mother) will get a bill, with the usual bill collection process and credit score implications if unpaid.

Did that answer your question?
Almost there ! But at least 80% already :) TYVM !!!!!

In the past...few years ago...2 or 3...A theory regarding childbirth after a caesarian must be caesarian too.So, in fe years ago caesarian was mandatory if the last delivery was caesarian.Now, researches in UK override this theory and now in several countries Caesarian is only if really necessary no matter the method of delivery of the last one.In other words: Just trying to figure out if USA health system accepted this same research and are following the same pattern of the others countries.Got my point ? Sorry if I expressed myself bad.

To let it simple - in the past:

1st son: Caearian...2nd, 3rd, etc: Must be caesarian
1st son: Natural: 2nd must be caesarian only if necessary.If it was necessary: the 3rd one will be caesarian too because the last one was caesarian.

Right now: Caesarian only if it's really necessary.Does not matter if the last one was natural or caesarian.

ty !

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
Adoption in the US requires lots of administrative procedure, usually including such things as background checks and a home visit - which in your case is going to be pretty difficult given that the family lives outside the US. Adoption of a healthy infant takes time (i.e. years) and money as there just aren't that many infants being put up for adoption these days. The quicker routes to "adoption" involve more money, possibly less time, and may get you into human trafficking problems.

Then, there is the little matter of a "very" pregnant woman arriving in the US alone (and, hate to say it, but from a Latin American country). Given the laws surrounding US citizenship, it will appear that she is attempting to have an "anchor baby" - though the power of an anchor baby to sponsor the rest of the family for visas is grossly exaggerated in the popular mind back there.

Having a baby in the US is horribly expensive for someone without insurance. And while she wouldn't be turned away from a hospital emergency service altogether, you can believe that they will check out her financial resources carefully before giving her anything more than standard minimal care. Chances are your consulate in the US will get involved in the recovery efforts (recovery of the bill for services rendered, that is).

Unless you have money to burn, it's not a terribly good idea IMO.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah all parts of this plan will never work out in the US probably. You might look at other countries and I would look at adoption there first. As others said there are strict background checks here and it takes years to get a baby. I am not sure if they would give a US baby to a non-citizen either. There was a limit of 2 kids per family since there is such a high adoption demand in the US. It costs a lot of money too and takes forever to find one. Your only chances of adopting a kid fast was to adopt an older one (probably like a 12yr old too) from the foster care system. This still may not be feasible either, if you are not a citizen. I am not sure about this though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
yeah all parts of this plan will never work out in the US probably. You might look at other countries and I would look at adoption there first. As others said there are strict background checks here and it takes years to get a baby. I am not sure if they would give a US baby to a non-citizen either. There was a limit of 2 kids per family since there is such a high adoption demand in the US. It costs a lot of money too and takes forever to find one. Your only chances of adopting a kid fast was to adopt an older one (probably like a 12yr old too) from the foster care system. This still may not be feasible either, if you are not a citizen. I am not sure about this though.
I just found this:
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/four.cfm

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Almost there ! But at least 80% already :) TYVM !!!!!

In the past...few years ago...2 or 3...A theory regarding childbirth after a caesarian must be caesarian too.So, in fe years ago caesarian was mandatory if the last delivery was caesarian.Now, researches in UK override this theory and now in several countries Caesarian is only if really necessary no matter the method of delivery of the last one.In other words: Just trying to figure out if USA health system accepted this same research and are following the same pattern of the others countries.Got my point ? Sorry if I expressed myself bad.

To let it simple - in the past:

1st son: Caearian...2nd, 3rd, etc: Must be caesarian
1st son: Natural: 2nd must be caesarian only if necessary.If it was necessary: the 3rd one will be caesarian too because the last one was caesarian.

Right now: Caesarian only if it's really necessary.Does not matter if the last one was natural or caesarian.

ty !
Caesarians are carried out for many reasons. You may have an elective one if the obstetrician feels that its in the mother and babies best interests, as long as there are no health risks. For a mother who has previously had a caesarian, they may allow for her next birth to start of naturally (depending on the reasons for the previous one), but monitor it very carefully with the option of carrying out an emergency caesar if necessary.

The obstetrician would want to see all the mothers previous records, before making a decision on the best route for her and the baby.

Personally, I cant imagine what on earth you are trying to achieve by doing any of this????

Jo xxx

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
The hospital is highly likely to do whatever is least expensive consistent with emergency medical necessity if the hospital has reason to doubt it'll get paid. Most obstetricians in the U.S. keep up with current medical literature.

If the mother wants assurance of a Caesarian delivery there are hospitals in the U.S. offering prepaid delivery packages. You can use your favorite search engine to find that information. Tucson Medical Center in Arizona is one example of a hospital that actively courts "medical tourism" for expectant mothers. Please note that prepaid packages only include the hospital fees not physician fees unless otherwise stated. Here's a company that is more explicit about their prices.

I do not recommend international birth tourism in general. If the goal is to get better medical care for a delivery, there are better, more affordable countries than the U.S.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts