Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm considering moving to Valencia later this year and was wondering if anyone could recommend a place to take DELE preparation C2 (Proficiency) classes? As it's quite a high level, it seems that most schools don't offer group classes for this. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I'd prefer a group class, but a private teacher could be an option as well! :)

·
Registered
15,745 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi stefig, congratulations on such a high level of Spanish. You are quite right, there will be few groups at C2 but many schools will tell you they have such groups to get your money. Another thing the academies do is no matter how well you score on their placement exam they put you at B2 to maintain group size. If possible, select instructors who are DELE C2 examiners, they can really help steer you in the right direction.

Reactions: stefig

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Yes, I have been stung by the 'bait and switch' before (at a school in Salamanca several years ago). They took my money and promised me a C1 class (I had tested at C1 level), then stuck me in a B2 DELE prep class. It actually turned out OK, as it turned out they were studying an aspect of grammar I've always struggled with, but it's very bad practice in my eyes.

Then when in Valencia, I looked for a private tutor to help me prepare the DELE C1. I asked her if she was experienced in teaching it and she assured me she was, but when I turned up for the first lesson, she clearly didn't have a clue. If anyone does know of a decent DELE tutor (preferably an examiner, but at the very least, someone who is familiar with the exam and has taught prep classes), I would be extremely grateful for a personal recommendation. I will be mostly studying on my own, but it would be great to be pointed in the right direction and receive some personalised feedback.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
International House can usually be trusted and you can specify that you are only interested in a class that prepares for the C2 DELE exam. They are one of the top schools for the Cambridge English exams and also provide training for Spanish teachers to teach Spanish.
This isn't a personal recommendation though as I only studied Spanish with them for a few months in Madrid about 26 years ago! I do work with them in conjunction with the Cambridge exams though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts