Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am moving to France with my daughter, Mum and Aunt... on a whim.

I speak fluent French and am not too worried about employment. However, I would like some info on any social benefits that I would be entitled to. I remember when I lived there before, even although I was working, I was entitled to Allocations Hebergement (I think).

Can anyone give me some clues in this respect.

Would I be entitled to child benefit etc..

Thanks

Vanessa

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
As you speak fluent French, you can check what you might be entitled to on the site of the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales).

There are indeed different benefits available, depending on the situation of each person/family (allocation logement, allocations familiales etc etc) and you can obtain a simulation online.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I speak fluent French and am not too worried about employment.
Can't decide whether this means, I don't want a job, or if it means, I'm confident I'll get a job :confused:
You will need a job as you need to be paying social security cotisations before you're entitled to French health cover and, potentially, other benefits.
As will Mum and Aunt, unless they have their own routes to French healthcare entitlement. They can't all piggyback on yours.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
Hmm.

"Ascendants, descendants, alliés et collatéraux
Il s'agit des ascendants, descendants, collatéraux et alliés jusqu'au 3ème degré, à condition :
- qu'ils vivent sous le toit de l'assuré social ;
- et qu'ils se consacrent aux travaux du ménage et à l'éducation d'au moins deux enfants de moins de 14 ans à la charge de l'assuré social."

- but only one daughter is mentioned so that seems to have blown that.

"Cohabitant à charge
C'est-à-dire toute personne vivant chez l'assuré social depuis au moins 12 mois, et qui est à sa charge totale, effective et permanente.
Une seule personne peut être ayant droit d'un assuré social à ce titre.
- and there's 2 of them. (I had a notion that caf would also look for some reason why the person à la charge could not be autonomous, ie physical or mental impairment.)

So what did I miss this time ?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Hmm.

"Ascendants, descendants, alliés et collatéraux
Il s'agit des ascendants, descendants, collatéraux et alliés jusqu'au 3ème degré, à condition :
- qu'ils vivent sous le toit de l'assuré social ;
- et qu'ils se consacrent aux travaux du ménage et à l'éducation d'au moins deux enfants de moins de 14 ans à la charge de l'assuré social."

- but only one daughter is mentioned so that seems to have blown that.

"Cohabitant à charge
C'est-à-dire toute personne vivant chez l'assuré social depuis au moins 12 mois, et qui est à sa charge totale, effective et permanente.
Une seule personne peut être ayant droit d'un assuré social à ce titre.
- and there's 2 of them. (I had a notion that caf would also look for some reason why the person à la charge could not be autonomous, ie physical or mental impairment.)

So what did I miss this time ?
You are quite right, only one of the adults can qualify as cohabitant à charge.
And as there appears to be only one child, you are right that the mother and aunt cannot be considered as ayant droits.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts