Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to leave. After many, many years here, AUH, Bahrain and several other sandy places, it's time to go.

Scary.

Anyway, could someone who knows about this sort of thing detail the timing and procedure for cancelling Etisalat landline, and getting the final DEWA bills, clearance letter?

You know - everything that has to be done all at once while your friendly packers are submerging your house in bubble wrap.

It's an Arenco house, if that matters.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
This is also relevant to my interests. I'm fully expecting to have to stay in a serviced apartment/hotel for the last couple of weeks if I am going to properly cancel all those services, hand back the apartment and close my bank account (but how do I pay for the hotel if I've cancelled my credit card?).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Slightly easier for me in that my company wants to keep me on the books, so my visa and health insurance will continue for a while. Just in case they want me back in a few months.
A few nights in a hotel is definitely on the cards.
As for lucky, well, France will certainly be better in most ways.......but the ongoing lack of salary is scary.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
DEWA - 2 to 3 days to get the final bill and the security deposit back. Just go to their office (if the connection is in your name). Maybe take the original receipt for the security deposit if you still have it

Etisalat - can be done in a day, but more than a week to get your balance back (they charge in advance for the month). I just have cancelled an internet connection with them (and the TV/internet with Du). Take all your equipment WITH CABLES and the remote, and go to the nearest office. For getting the balance back you need to go to their main office in Deira (or that was the case 5 years back). Good luck with that.

Credit card - if you have given a security cheque then obviously cancel it. If not, and if its free, maybe send a cancel request after leaving the country (ensuring there is no outstanding balance). or use a card from abroad? The exchange rate is only about 3-4% worse. Some hotels could accept cash as security (for payments surely everyone will accept cash).

Hand over the medical insurance card to the company only on the very last day. In my current company they ask us to maintain a bank account and retain a couple of 1000 Dhs for a couple of months. Very inconvenient and bureaucratic, but not something we will be able to fight off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts