Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Buying spanish car in uk

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  mrypg9 
#1 ·
Hi, hope you can help me, I'm moving. To Spain later this year but have found a car in the uk with Spanish plates already, my problem is I don't have my nie number yet.

How would this work and how long could I keep it in the uk until I go, also what paperwork do I need from the seller for doing a deal? Is there any way of checking online if any outstanding bills with the car?

I will get my NIE number at end of June. As going over for house hunt then, also if anyone knows of any cheap villas with pool for rent between Alicante and Murcia drop me a message

Thanks Billy

#2 ·
I bought a car on Spanish plates from the UK. In order to register it in your name in Spain there are several important documents you must have...copy of previous owner's NIE or DNI, copy of his/her passport, all the 'technical' docs relating to the vehicle and importantly a signed declaration from the previous owner authorising the sale. This 'Solicitude' I think it's called can be obtained from a gestor in Spain...well, that's where I got it from. I sent it to the garage I bought my LR from and they sent it to the owner who returned it signed.
I can't see that you would have any problem keeping or using the car in the UK for a short period. My son had a French-registered LandRover with all the required documentation he used for family skiing trips to France and Switzerland. He kept it at home in Surrey and occasionally used it there. I had my LandRover delivered to my then home in Prague so have no personal experience of driving it in the UK.
You do need to check that there are no outstanding fines on the vehicle as you will be responsible for them. There is a website for this but I have forgotten it, sorry....
As for a 'cheap' villa...I'm sure there are plenty available.
But there's usually a reason why something is 'cheap'......I think that you usually get what you pay for.
My advice would be to go for a decently-priced house and negotiate the rent down.
That's what we did and over almost four years we have negotiated a massive 800 euros a month reduction in our rent.

#8 ·
Don't go to Trafico. There is a site online, I used it but have forgotten its address.

Maybe someone can find it for you?

The process of buying your car in the UK can be made to seem more complicated than it is.
I've done it and there were zero hitches or glitches.

Just make sure you have the documents I mentioned. If you are buying from a reputable dealer, as I did, they will help you.

#10 · (Edited)
De nada:)

Private seller.....hmm.

Have you been given all the documents I listed? Is the seller selling his/her car directly to you or for a third party?

You really must check but there is no need to do it in Spain or by using a gestor - they will use the same website I used.... for free!!

Have you looked at reputable LHD dealers in the UK?

And to answer the question in your first post: yes, you will need your NIE, passport p/copy and I think but can't remember for sure your padron certificate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.