Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.
I would like to know whether an expatriate non-UK citizen, not currently living in the UK, would be eligible to buy a property in the UK. What are the requirements for that investment?
thank you

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
This is exactly right.

Sure you can buy property but with no UK credit you won't be eligible for a UK mortgage so you'll need to have 100% of the funds for purchase from another source.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i just wanted to know if i would be eligible to buy a property according to the laws in the UK.
i am not a UK local citizen, i dont currently hold even a bank account.
can you suggesy some good real estate web sites in the UK?
thank you

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
As above - money is all you need.
Rightmove.co.uk lists properties for sale in UK and has comprehensive search function.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
A lot of high-end properties in London, both private and commercial, are bought by foreigners, as UK has no restriction on foreigner buying and owing properties (unlike some other countries). Owning property doesn't help you to get a long-stay visa (again, unlike some countries like Spain).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
whay do u mean by uk credit? are you referring to a bank account?
so if i dont hold one then any purchase should be done 100% in cash?

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,965 Posts
Hi,
UK credit normally refers to the system of buying a property with a mortgage.
Buyer puts a deposit (5 to 25% of purchase price) and then pays balance over 25 years, with interest.
As a non-resident then UK banks won't give you credit - to buy with mortgage,
You would need to buy with your own cash.
Buyers normally use a UK solicitor to handle the purchase formalities.
On the actual day of completion, your solicitor needs to have the money in their bank account.
You would normally be able to do a bank transfer to this account from overseas.
It would be unwise to bring a suitcase of cash to your solicitors office to pay for a property - as they are bound by anti money laundering rules to report clients who bring them cash above a certain amount (possibly as little as £5000).
Cheers
Steve

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
Because you have no credit history in the UK you will not be able to get a mortgage in the UK so unless you can get a bank loan in your home country or from somewhere else, yes you would need to pay cash.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Or mortgage a property that you already own outside of the UK and use the cash to buy a property in the UK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you don't have the cash you can still obtain an offshore mortgage. But you will not be eligible to get a high street mortgage because your income is from outside the UK. Try Natwest offshore in Jersey or Barclays offshore. They all offer mortgages to foreigners but probably they require higher deposits !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.