Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've mainly been discounting the option of buying a new build, as have concerns about it being riskier. However I wondered if any of you have reassuring experiences to share?

We'd be looking for an apartment - coastal location anywhere between Puerto de mazarron and Guardamar. I realise there are some obvious things to bear in mind - make sure the rest of the complex isn't completely empty for instance! And check utilities are properly installed. But that aside, is it much riskier to buy new than resale?

Pamela

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We've mainly been discounting the option of buying a new build, as have concerns about it being riskier. However I wondered if any of you have reassuring experiences to share?

We'd be looking for an apartment - coastal location anywhere between Puerto de mazarron and Guardamar. I realise there are some obvious things to bear in mind - make sure the rest of the complex isn't completely empty for instance! And check utilities are properly installed. But that aside, is it much riskier to buy new than resale?

Pamela
You sound as though you are looking at some form of urbanisation. Unless it is fully built and all sold, avoid. The possibility of the builder going or already is, broke is still too high.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
I was never interested in a new build, mostly because I prefer older, character properties, but also because I'd seen too many examples of developments where things like landscaping took years in some cases to be finished and people were living in what still looked like a building site, lots where promised facilities such as shops never materialised, etc. At least with a resale you can see the finished article and assess what the surrounding area is really like, not what it might be like one day provided all goes according to plan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both - yes these are the concerns we have and why we've discounted new builds until now. I think we'll continue with that approach!! I was just temporarily swayed by the amazingly low prices for some new builds! But i'll stick with the original resale plan I think :)

Thanks
Pamela

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
We have bought both, and both have advantages and disadvantages. The old need refurbishing, wiring, doors,windows, bathroom, roof, etc. the new need completing, kitchen, lamps, outside areas.

The advantage of the old it is cool in summer and warm in winter, the new is bright light and modern, the new is for sale, the old is our home and we would never sell.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts