Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are purchasing a small piece of land less than an acre for the sum off 350.00 euro's , however the notaire is charging 250 euros for her fee's this seems to be very high. Any comments welcome

·
Registered
345 Posts
I believe notaires fees are set in law? Therefore there's probably not much leeway to get it for less?

Relative to the land value it seems a lot, but 250 doesn't seem much in real terms. Even a small land transaction follows many of the same steps as a large one, so it's not much less work to transact for 1 square metre as it is for 1,000.

Kind regards

Ian.

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
Yup, the notaire's fees are set by law. And the per square meter cost of land that is not buildable is usually very nominal. (As are the taxes on that sort of land.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, the notaire's fees are set by law. And the per square meter cost of land that is not buildable is usually very nominal. (As are the taxes on that sort of land.)
It is part of farmland that is adjoining my own land and off course land tax is small.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree, seems reasonable to me.

DejW
The shock came as it was the other chap that wanted to sell and we were not advised at any stage as to who was paying the Notaire. Not being sure who has to pay these fee's, I hope they don't get the same sort of bill.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
We are purchasing a small piece of land less than an acre for the sum off 350.00 euro's , however the notaire is charging 250 euros for her fee's this seems to be very high. Any comments welcome
You're lucky. The fees for small land areas went down considerably quite recently. The minimum amount of tax used to be quite high.

We were offered a small plot as a potager about 15 years ago, and the taxes and fees were many times the cost of the land.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The shock came as it was the other chap that wanted to sell and we were not advised at any stage as to who was paying the Notaire. Not being sure who has to pay these fee's, I hope they don't get the same sort of bill.
It is the purchaser who pays the Notaire, as it is when you buy a home.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Here's a link you might find useful.www.immobilier.notaires.fr/fr/frais-de-notaire .
Yes the purchaser pays the notaire. If you think about it, with a sale price of only 350€ any alternative way of paying the legal fees would almost result in the seller making a complete loss.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's a link you might find useful.www.immobilier.notaires.fr/fr/frais-de-notaire .
Yes the purchaser pays the notaire. If you think about it, with a sale price of only 350€ any alternative way of paying the legal fees would almost result in the seller making a complete loss.
Yes I understand that but it also applies the other way as we have paid nearly double for a piece of land that we gave a good price in the first place. And to add further to the story part of the land we are buying belongs to us in the first place, now there's a mystery.

·
Administrator
49,823 Posts
I suspect that your "mystery" about the land ownership must have something to do with the Cadastre. Basically, what you are paying a notaire for is to do all the formalities involved in updating and changing the record for the land in the Cadastre. We've been trying for years now to buy a piece of land next to our strip of agricultural land. In the Cadastre, the property belongs to a guy born in 1901, so by now, long dead. We ultimately found out that his family refused the inheritance (apparently the old man had significant debts or something) so basically the property is "abandoned" - which seems to imply that the town assumes responsibility for it. There is supposed to be a provision where you can offer 30 years worth of property taxes and it's yours - however the town doesn't bother sending out tax bills for agricultural land because the amounts are too low to bother with. In any event, what you pay the notaire to make sure the paperwork is properly done is probably worth whatever the charges are.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect that your "mystery" about the land ownership must have something to do with the Cadastre. Basically, what you are paying a notaire for is to do all the formalities involved in updating and changing the record for the land in the Cadastre. We've been trying for years now to buy a piece of land next to our strip of agricultural land. In the Cadastre, the property belongs to a guy born in 1901, so by now, long dead. We ultimately found out that his family refused the inheritance (apparently the old man had significant debts or something) so basically the property is "abandoned" - which seems to imply that the town assumes responsibility for it. There is supposed to be a provision where you can offer 30 years worth of property taxes and it's yours - however the town doesn't bother sending out tax bills for agricultural land because the amounts are too low to bother with. In any event, what you pay the notaire to make sure the paperwork is properly done is probably worth whatever the charges are.
Yes you are right and I asked a local farmer if the fee's were reasonable and he agree's with people here that they are.

The mystery is however is strange because it began when three farmers had adjoining land and there was only one access road and they were always arguing about access as the road belonged to only one farmer. So the only course of action was make the road joint ownership between the three. So years later when we bought one of the pieces of adjoining land we also bought our share of the road. But now we have bought another piece of land adjoining we have to pay for the road again. I thought it was a interesting quirk of France. We are happy as the deer hide in our little woods away from the hunters and I think they sleep there in the winter too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts