Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been toying with the idea of buying a 2008-2009 Prado, before the redesign. I liked the older ones. Looks like they go for 65-75K.

Will getting insurance be a problem at all? The age? I'd probably own it for 3-4 years. The cars are known for reliability or does anyone have experience to the contrary?

With my commute to Abu Dhabi I don't want to waste money on a new car that'll only rack up the mileage. The Prado seems comfortable enough although it'll probably eat through petrol.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have full insurance for my 2007 vintage [Honda] car (though the renewal is coming up). A lot of old cars only get third party liability coverage though.
ugh.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Third party liability coverage?

What does that mean?

If someone hit me, then it's covered. But if I hit someone else, it's not covered?

So what do the owners of the old cars (over eight years) do?

I have full insurance for my 2007 vintage [Honda] car (though the renewal is coming up). A lot of old cars only get third party liability coverage though.
ugh.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Third party liability coverage?

What does that mean?

If someone hit me, then it's covered. But if I hit someone else, it's not covered?

So what do the owners of the old cars (over eight years) do?
I believe 3rd party liability means if you get into an accident, the insured (you) is protected against 3rd party claims. In other words, you are responsible for paying out of pocket damages to your own property (automobile)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Try RSA. We have comprehensive coverage (loss, damage and third party liability) on a 2009 BMW.

I got my insurance through this website: http://insurancemarket.ae/ You get a bunch of quotes, pick one, pay and within two hours you have your policy...

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I believe 3rd party liability means if you get into an accident, the insured (you) is protected against 3rd party claims. In other words, you are responsible for paying out of pocket damages to your own property (automobile)
Correct.
if you are at fault, then your insurance does not cover damage to your car, but only any 3rd party claims.
If you are not at fault, the other insurance company will pay for repairs to your car.

Like I said, I have a 2007 car which I have comprehensive insurance cover on. However, I have heard of cases where 7-8 year old cars have been refused comprehensive insurance cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts