Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for a bit of advice...

Am I better off buying a mobile phone from the UK and somehow claim the vat back or should I just buy one here?

Also, are some area restricted and if so which ones?

Ta

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just looking for a bit of advice...

Am I better off buying a mobile phone from the UK and somehow claim the vat back or should I just buy one here?

Ta
I don't know what vat means, nor do I know the prices of phones in the UK. I hope you know that the companies here are completely GSM, and in general it is usually cheaper to bring a phone here rather than buy one unless you find a phone that is specifically sold here that you want. For example, I've seen a Lenovo phone that is fairly cheap here that looks like a good cheap smart phone. But I brought my own phone here. I know the prices compared to America are much higher, like the iPhone is literally double the price for the new 5s.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I usually compare prices for small electronics in Europe exkl. VAT + delivery against the prices here.....simple thing...tech specs are usually the same except for the plug :)

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I know the prices compared to America are much higher, like the iPhone is literally double the price for the new 5s.
Need to compare apple-to-apple...

A non-subsidized iPhone (without having to sign a service contract, and unlocked) will be comparable price everywhere.

US prices are normally tied in with service-contract for some duration, then the provider (i.e. AT&T, Sprint) might unlock the device for use with other providers.

Of course, one could always jailbreak. However, some companies (like mine) will not allow enterprise email service on jail-broken iPhones.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
more like apple-to-pile-of-lizard-dung....

Apple is evil... and Kit-Kat is coming...
I actually just saw the unintentional sublimal part about "apple-to-apple" in my reply ;)

Dude, either you are an Apple fan boy, or Lizard Dung fan boy. Which is it are you going to be ? :argue:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Dude, either you are an Apple fan boy, or Lizard Dung fan boy. Which is it are you going to be ? :argue:
Lizard dung does not insist you *have* to buy the stick to scrape it off you shoe *only* from iTunes...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Need to compare apple-to-apple...

A non-subsidized iPhone (without having to sign a service contract, and unlocked) will be comparable price everywhere.

US prices are normally tied in with service-contract for some duration, then the provider (i.e. AT&T, Sprint) might unlock the device for use with other providers.

Of course, one could always jailbreak. However, some companies (like mine) will not allow enterprise email service on jail-broken iPhones.
I was referring to unlocked phones in America. I would never speak about contracted phones because CDMA doesn't exist here nor do the deals. You can get an Iphone 5s in America right now unlocked for $650 bucks, depending on what state you live in and if you have to pay taxes on it, it might be around $700. Souq dot com, Iphone 5s, 3,100 AED (Originally listed for 3,800). 3,100 AED = 842 USD and some change. Price difference= $142-192 USD. I'm sure other places here in the UAE sell it for the same if not more, especially the 'gold' one.

Please explain how the prices are comparable for unlocked GSM phones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without wanting to start a new thread. Can anyone recommend a good quality phone that isn't a smart phone?

My requirements - to make phone calls, send SMS', a battery life of more than 2 hours. That is all.

I bought a cheap Nokia but people always to seem to have problems hearing me on it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I was referring to unlocked phones in America. I would never speak about contracted phones because CDMA doesn't exist here nor do the deals. You can get an Iphone 5s in America right now unlocked for $650 bucks, depending on what state you live in and if you have to pay taxes on it, it might be around $700. Souq dot com, Iphone 5s, 3,100 AED (Originally listed for 3,800). 3,100 AED = 842 USD and some change. Price difference= $142-192 USD. I'm sure other places here in the UAE sell it for the same if not more, especially the 'gold' one.

AFAIK you cant get an unlocked 5s in the US... you can get a contract free model from T-Mobile and ask them to unlock it for you after 1 month of purchase...

EDIT: Apparently the jury is still out if you buy the full price phone if it comes locked or no... so I may be wrong... the one being sold in the Canadian store is unlocked... and that one is for C$719

·
Registered
1,586 Posts

So not "twice" the price then... :rolleyes:

I don't know where to buy unlocked 5s for $650, never looked.

But a quick check, Amazon price is $844 which is comparable to Souq dot com price that you quoted. It is understandable that people are gauging now in UAE, but the final price will come down to the same level.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Ta
Not sure about restricted ones....

I brought my Iphone 4 over from the UK first having had it unlocked by my provider 3. Works ok same features as UK

Bought the wife a Iphone 4s in Emax which comes unlocked and takes her UK sim when we visit home. Agin same feature as UK including Facetime.

As for buying in UK and claiming tax back. Some places like Currys etc do 'tax free for tourists' - basically you pay full price including tax then claim the tax back when you leave the UK airport. There are kiosks at most larger UK airports. The receipt is different from normal UK receipts.

Or you could try and buy from Amazon and claim the tax back from them, but delivery to UAE can be a bit hit and miss.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The unlocked 5s are advertised in Amazon.
As I said, may be wrong...

But the ones I found on Amazon are CDMA full price phones from Verizon... not from Apple direct... Newegg has them too...

·
Registered
39 Posts
So not "twice" the price then... :rolleyes:

I don't know where to buy unlocked 5s for $650, never looked.

But a quick check, Amazon price is $844 which is comparable to Souq dot com price that you quoted. It is understandable that people are gauging now in UAE, but the final price will come down to the same level.
My mistake for saying double the price, someone at work told me he saw the 5s on Souq for 5,000 AED when it first came out (thus me just blatantly saying double the price), but I just checked now and it definitely wasn't anywhere near that. Maybe he didn't look at the right page or whatever but I would be surprised to see it for 5K AED unless we are referring to the highly sought after gold one. I find Amazon's prices to be higher for some things, especially phones. I remember the Nexus 4 was more expensive on Amazon versus buying it at the Google Play Store.

Oh I'm using the price based on buying it from T-Mobile, because anything from T-Mobile can be easily unlocked via them or used on a out-of-country network just by plug and play with a different SIM card (that's what it says on Apple's website, so that's unlocked for me as far as being able to bring it over here, but standing in the US might be a different problem).

·
Registered
52 Posts
In Ireland, I know you have to bring your receipts with you to the airport and you can claim the VAT/Tax on anything you've purchased.

Eddie R, What type of Nokia did you buy? When I got here, 4 weeks ago, I also bought a Nokia. Cost about 350ish AED. In the past few days, I bought myself a better phone, so if you are interested, I could sell you my Nokia at a discounted price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts