Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be moving to Q Roo the middle of next month and will need to buy a car asap. All advice seems to lean towards a new car since the used car buying is shady.

Any recommendations as to the best dealers are? I would be looking for either a Jeep or a Nissan.

Is buying a car in Mexico as UN-enjoyable as it is in the states?

I need to handle the transaction quickly as I will be house-sitting in the boonies for awhile and transportation is a must and this has become a priority.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Buying a car in Mexico is much more enjoyable than in the USA, as there is little room for negotioation for cash, but more for features or accessories.
However, you must be prepared with hard cold cash, proof of your residence, passport and residence visa, etc., in order to have it registered. If you don‘t already have an insurance agent, the dealer may be able to get it insured for you, too. I suggest that you do consider buying from a new car dealer, especially Nissan, and most of them will have a few good used cars that they have taken in trade and not sent to lesser lots for disposal. We bought one new one for ourselves, and helped a friend buy a two year old trade that was turned in by an insurance company from its fleet. It was a great car and our friend loved it (a Platina). If you have a Mexican bank, you can transfer the funds to the dealer. If not, be prepared with cash, or maybe even have your bank lift the limit on your debit card, so you can use that for the afternoon. Of course, you may have to pay the bank card fee to the dealer, so negotiate that detail too.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I will be moving to Q Roo the middle of next month and will need to buy a car asap. All advice seems to lean towards a new car since the used car buying is shady.
Any recommendations as to the best dealers are? I would be looking for either a Jeep or a Nissan.
Is buying a car in Mexico as UN-enjoyable as it is in the states?
I need to handle the transaction quickly as I will be house-sitting in the boonies for awhile and transportation is a must and this has become a priority.
Thanks
Quintana Roo is a very large state with many urban and rural áreas stretching from near Isla Holbox to Chetumal on the border with Belize. If you plan to buy a car in that huge state may I suggest you be more specific as to where you plan to affect this transaction?

Buying a used car can be a bit dicey and you could end up easily buying a stolen car and , believe me, that will be your very serious problem and the car could be conifiscated by the authorities in a New York second and you could end up in jail.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Earlier this year we put in some time looking for a new car. We live in a medium sized city with many real auto dealerships. We've driven a Jeep for the last 15 years or so. We test drove a 2015 Trailhawk. It was a very solid car but when we ran out of gas :) the car was like a rock in the middle of traffic. I got out and went to the back to push. I put my hands along side the rear window. When I pushed it caused a dent like crease. Now when I stopped pushing it did pop back out but, still... They don't make Jeeps the way the used to. btw - the asking price for that trailhawk was 598,000 pesos.

We stopped in at the Nissan dealership to check out the X-Trail. They had no cars to test drive !

We've decided on a Subaru Forester but will wait for the 2016s.

As for a used car - I would think that if you went with a large dealership you would be fine. And unlike new cars where they try to stick to the price in the window - they are very ready to negotiate the price on a used car. The Subaru dealer even had a 2015 dealer demo with 12K kms that they wanted to get rid of.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
As you are already thinking about a new car, you have it much easier. Buying a new car in Mexico is as easy as it could get.
Between the 2 you are mentioning, jeep and nissan, I can recommend the nissan.
There are a bunch of brands available now in Mexico, but you have to take into consideration how many dealers, shops, and availability and price of the parts.
Mazda, for example, has nice models, but try to find a dealership when you need it...
We do not have a Mexican brand here, but we consider domestic cars the ones we manufacture and the ones being sold in the Country.
Stick to the ones made in Mexico, parts are much more affordable and available.And if you could consider Honda, that would be my recommendation

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Another consideration when buying is the terrain you'll be driving. Tepoztlan is made up of very steep, hilly cobblestone streets* which will wreak havoc on automatic transmissions. My husband is a mechanic, among other talents, and can rebuild transmissions - Tepoz was a good place for him to have his shop back in the day. He won't even consider having an automatic here. He recommends Nissan Tsuru, pointing out it's what all the taxistas in Tepoztlan drive. Good on gas, reliable, not complicated to repair, and parts are readily available and affordable.

*like other parts of Mexico, Tepoz is also full of topes. I recently heard it referred to as "Topestlan".

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Another consideration when buying is the terrain you'll be driving. Tepoztlan is made up of very steep, hilly cobblestone streets* which will wreak havoc on automatic transmissions. My husband is a mechanic, among other talents, and can rebuild transmissions - Tepoz was a good place for him to have his shop back in the day. He won't even consider having an automatic here. He recommends Nissan Tsuru, pointing out it's what all the taxistas in Tepoztlan drive. Good on gas, reliable, not complicated to repair, and parts are readily available and affordable.

*like other parts of Mexico, Tepoz is also full of topes. I recently heard it referred to as "Topestlan".
While it is true that tsuru is a rugged car, Ido not like it, it is too "Peje" to me, also, it is one of the most stolen vehicles and lastly, it is not safe enough. It's safety ratings are lousy, No air bags, etc...
Taxistas drive it because they can't afford a better car

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes - in Cuernavaca, perhaps 15 miles from Teopoztlan, more and more of the taxis are becoming Zuzukis. These small little things but remarkably roomy inside. And yes indeed they are manual transmission.

Personally we haven't come across any terrain which is at all affecting our automatic transmission. The worst we have probably come across was the hill leading up to the Monte Taxco hotel in Taxco. We didn't even need to drop to a lower gar. The Jeep handles the topes just fine. The same can not be said for the low-riding BMWs, mini-coopers etc. We even saw one get stuck while traversing a tope. I suppose AWD would be nice for highway travel in the rain but otherwise, for us, a 4X4 would be a waste.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He recommends Nissan Tsuru, pointing out it's what all the taxistas in Tepoztlan drive. Good on gas, reliable, not complicated to repair, and parts are readily available and affordable.
And we're betting that he stands under 5' 5". You need short legs to ride in a Tsuru.

·
Banned
160 Posts
I have several friends that have bought new cars at the Nissan dealer in PDC. They were all happy with the deals. One friend recently bought a brand new 2014 Tsuru, 5-speed and a/c only. She got it out the door for $10K USA. Not bad for a brand new car.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
That IS inexpensive.
We have a five year old Honda FIT, purchased new. Couldn't be happier. No troubles.
When we were shopping, friends warned us about how it would bottom out on topes. We have some really hairy ones around here, and the solution is very simple: SLOW DOWN. No problem.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
They do those crash tests at about 60 km/hr!
Imagine a crash at 90? 100?

No question about why they are best sellers, it is because they are cheap little junks, easy to work on, probably, many taxi drivers have one? As I said: they cannot afford any better. Otherwise, why would not use them in London, New York?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
One more thought
Taxi drivers are not, and I mean it, they are NOT knowledgable about cars or mechanics
Most of them are plain ignorants that drive all day long and cannot make enough money to live well

When they buy gas, they rock the vehicle or park it tilted so that, as they think, the gas tank can hold more gas. They don't know the first thing about liquids!
That is an idiotic idea, just to prove how they think

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I think what my husband was referring to in terms of Tsurus as taxis in Tepoz is that they handle the very hilly streets well without breaking down all the time. Of course, between traffic and topes in Tepoztlan, you're lucky if you get much above 20-30 kph.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Ok, but they are still lousy cheap cars
Gary, I couldn't disagree more, Tsuru's are great economical cars. They are practically maintenence free, get very good gas mileage, are easy to work on, and you can get 100's of thousands of KM on them.

I have always driven older cars while living in MX. My 1987 minivan (present vehicle), 1990 diesel F250, my 1994 Tsuru (bought used, had 3 good running years before I sold it) didn't have airbags. So they don't have airbags, wear your seat belt. Be a defensive driver and don't get into accidents.

Everyone I know that has owned a Tsuru, Sentra, or other Nissans are usually pleased with the cars.

BTW, in Los Angeles the new choice of taxi is the Toyota Prius.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
One more thought
Taxi drivers are not, and I mean it, they are NOT knowledgable about cars or mechanics
Most of them are plain ignorants that drive all day long and cannot make enough money to live well

When they buy gas, they rock the vehicle or park it tilted so that, as they think, the gas tank can hold more gas. They don't know the first thing about liquids!
That is an idiotic idea, just to prove how they think
Any time an entire group of people is repeatedly referred to as "they", especially if that group is being portrayed in a very negative light, I bristle, because painting any group with such broad strokes is simply unfair and generally inaccurate.

In my experience, there are plenty of people who may be working in menial jobs but are very intelligent. Often this is because they never had the opportunity for a good education and they had to start working at a young age to help put food on the table. Nothing shameful in that. I've also known people of only moderate intelligence and capacity who have decent careers because they were born into money and were given every possible opportunity, including a decent education and "connections" (as the saying goes, "it's not what you know but who you know").

I'm sure there are plenty of not-so-bright taxi drivers, but that doesn't mean they're all ignorant or idiots. I also wasn't suggesting they are knowledgeable about mechanics per se, but based on experience (theirs and their peers) they do know which cars are more likely going to be in the repair shop frequently (meaning the driver isn't working or earning) and which cars just keep on going.

As an aside - and I know this doesn't apply in Mexico - in Toronto there are a lot of highly educated immigrants working as taxi drivers because of barriers to them getting their foreign credentials recognized here. There are taxi drivers here who were physicians, architects, lawyers and successful businessmen in their countries of origin. They immigrated to Canada to give their children better future opportunities, often due to safety concerns back home, but at a great sacrifice to their own careers. That need to put food on the table leads them to take jobs not commensurate with their training and experience.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Gary, I couldn't disagree more, Tsuru's are great economical cars. They are practically maintenence free, get very good gas mileage, are easy to work on, and you can get 100's of thousands of KM on them. I have always driven older cars while living in MX. My 1987 minivan (present vehicle), 1990 diesel F250, my 1994 Tsuru (bought used, had 3 good running years before I sold it) didn't have airbags. So they don't have airbags, wear your seat belt. Be a defensive driver and don't get into accidents. Everyone I know that has owned a Tsuru, Sentra, or other Nissans are usually pleased with the cars. BTW, in Los Angeles the new choice of taxi is the Toyota Prius.
I have driven tsurus myself, I know what they are capable of
Also have a diploma on auto mechanics, besides my university degree, and know about that stuff
I have not stated they are not rugged little cars, I say they are not safe, according to testings, do you have information that proves otherwise?
And yes, most people that own those cars would tell you they are great, quien vende pan frio?, they would never ever tell you they have them because they could not afford a better vehicle. We would be running in circles with that discussion. We should stick to facts and mechanics

And they are cheap not very well made cars
What is that about... They don't have airbags so don't crash?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Any time an entire group of people is repeatedly referred to as "they", especially if that group is being portrayed in a very negative light, I bristle, because painting any group with such broad strokes is simply unfair and generally inaccurate. In my experience, there are plenty of people who may be working in menial jobs but are very intelligent. Often this is because they never had the opportunity for a good education and they had to start working at a young age to help put food on the table. Nothing shameful in that. I've also known people of only moderate intelligence and capacity who have decent careers because they were born into money and were given every possible opportunity, including a decent education and "connections" (as the saying goes, "it's not what you know but who you know"). I'm sure there are plenty of not-so-bright taxi drivers, but that doesn't mean they're all ignorant or idiots. I also wasn't suggesting they are knowledgeable about mechanics per se, but based on experience (theirs and their peers) they do know which cars are more likely going to be in the repair shop frequently (meaning the driver isn't working or earning) and which cars just keep on going. As an aside - and I know this doesn't apply in Mexico - in Toronto there are a lot of highly educated immigrants working as taxi drivers because of barriers to them getting their foreign credentials recognized here. There are taxi drivers here who were physicians, architects, lawyers and successful businessmen in their countries of origin. They immigrated to Canada to give their children better future opportunities, often due to safety concerns back home, but at a great sacrifice to their own careers. That need to put food on the table leads them to take jobs not commensurate with their training and experience.
Perhaps Canadian immigrants are a different case, Mexican taxi drivers are not mechanically knowledgable, they are not idiots, perhaps some of them, I don't know. Most of them are ignorant, yes. That can be proven. Don't matter if they were born with money or not.
Sometimes when I write "them" is because I don't know all of their names, and possibly I would be generalizing, which is acceptable to me, don't get any problem if I understand nothing is 100 percent accurate.
Highly intelligent people usually show their intelligence, I don't buy the story of "they are intelligent but they have lousy jobs because they did not have the opportunities" some of us did not have the perfect life either and did something about it.
This is a case of " si mi abuelita tuviera ruedas, seria bicicleta" ( if my granny had wheels, she would be a bicycle) some things could be, but they are not

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.