Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am currently transitioning to France on a spouse visa and am in need of transportation. I have found a couple of decent reasonably priced motorcycles for around 6,000CHF. Does anyone know how I would go about bringing the bike back into France? I live in Ferney -Voltaire right next to Geneva. I've read in other forums that I could acquire temporary license plates in Switzerland, however the official government websites are in German.. Any recommendation or advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hi, Switzerland is outside the EU so importing is more complicated.
First pass French customs (douanes). Seek advice with a "transitaire" - intermediary with customs - can save you time and inform you exactly which documents are required.
Original registration certificate, bill of sale, sale certificate.
EUR1 certificate and a extra-community transit déclaration (ask your transit agency)

Customs will give you paperwork for registration at the préfecture in France.
You'll pay customs & import duty, probably TVA (?) all based not on how much you paid but how much the customs estimate the bike's value.

No longer any power limit (106hp/74kW) to bikes in France (since 1st Jan 2016)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
There's more.
Customs will examine if serial numbers correspond.
You will need a conformity certificate from the bike's constructor's office in France or from the DRIRE (French conformity agency).
Have fun 😀

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much Poloss,

I've continued to research the process, please let me know if what I've found out is correct. Also I thought I would share what I've found out so far incase someone else on this forum wishes to do the same.

1) fill out a customs declaration form from the Swiss customs (EUR.1 form - Certificat de Circulation des Marchandises) with all the bike details (chassis number, model, etc) and they will stamp it (bring my passport, grey card)

2) Pay the ‘Direction General des Douanes et Droits et Taxes’ section of the French customs (for the VAT). Which they should give me an official receipt to prove that I paid the taxes, which will need to be presented to the French Perfecture.

3) I have heard that it is compulsory to obtain the EC-Certificate of Conformity for a car, but have heard motorcycles are exempt?

4) Proof of domicile (a gas bill)

5) Drive behind the customs building through a gate so the customs will ‘officially see’ your car imported from Suisse to France

6) Ask for a provisional Certificat d’immatriculation d’un vehicle (equivalent to a grey card) from the Perfecture, bringing all the receipts, stamped declarations, ID, etc. Once I get this certificate, then I can order temporary plates for around 40 euros or so for a set for a car (not sure the cost for a bike, hopefully cheaper).

7) After a one month provisional period, I can then change the temp French plates and get the proper Certificat d’immatriculation to get the permanent plates (at the prefecture).

Sounds straight forward enough, but I guess you never know when the French Bureaucracy is involved.

·
Banned
99 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation in this post.
1. The 106BHP limit has disappeared but only bikes with ABS brakes can be registered if the exceed that limit.
2. Motorcycles of need a CoC, it's a Vontrol Technique that they don't need.
3. Why go through the hassle of a temporary CG? Why pay about €80 plus the visit of a plate for a month's registration when you might as well register it straight away?
4. Wouldn't it be much easier to buy a bike in France? Buy it, insure it, ride it away.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Hi alden GH,
disclaimer - just to tell you that I'm far from being a professional importer of stuff from Switz to France.

I checked out the procedure on 3 different bikers' forums and made a coherent summary of the information I found together with my own personal experience so those are general guidlines but not the complete walkthrough.

I suggest that you get detailed info from the customs, your préfecture and eventually transit agency.

I believe that Swiss numberplates are not transferable so you'll surely need Swiss transit plates until you get definitive French ones. Assuming that you buy to ride immediately.

I'll throw this link in because it looks very complete ;)
Suisse-France : Quelles Démarches Lors D’achats Et D’importations Transfrontaliers De Véhicules ? | Le Blog Du Frontalier
at "Démarches pour l’importation d’un véhicule en France"

You've thought about insurance of course?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts