Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have a generator there?

This time coming there I want to buy a generator. I am thinking about at least a 6500 watt. I want to be able to at least run window air unit and maybe a light and frig during electric outages. Would it be better to buy diesel or gas unit? Also, does anybody have an ideal what they cost? Also, what brand is the quietest? Most of the time it is the Honda here in the states.

thanks

art

·
Registered
620 Posts
Anybody have a generator there?

This time coming there I want to buy a generator. I am thinking about at least a 6500 watt. I want to be able to at least run window air unit and maybe a light and frig during electric outages. Would it be better to buy diesel or gas unit? Also, does anybody have an ideal what they cost? Also, what brand is the quietest? Most of the time it is the Honda here in the states.

thanks

art
Hi Art
I will do the same thing. This is one I saw in Ace Hardware.

Attachments

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Hogrider

I am wondering how smelly the diesel generators are there? I am sure they would be the most efficient one to buy. they aren't cheap. Looks like around $1400. Might be able to find one a little cheaper from a small shop. I am definitely going to buy one. There is no way I am going to be without electric every time there is a hard rain storm. I got to have my air. hahaha

thanks for the info

art

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hey Hogrider

I am wondering how smelly the diesel generators are there? I am sure they would be the most efficient one to buy. they aren't cheap. Looks like around $1400. Might be able to find one a little cheaper from a small shop. I am definitely going to buy one. There is no way I am going to be without electric every time there is a hard rain storm. I got to have my air. hahaha

thanks for the info

art
Yes agree Ace Hardware is probably one of the most expensive places to buy. I happened to be in there buying a water heater and saw that one. I too cannot be doing without electricity. When I did the electrical design for my house I pre-cabled a wall socket to an outside wall in the carport, connected via a transfer switch to the main switchboard. If the power goes out, I fire up the generator, switch the circuit breakers to some circuits to reduce the load to about 5kVA, then operate the transfer switch to hook up the generator.

·
Registered
717 Posts
There is a chain of stores called HMR Trading. 90% of their stuffed is used (returns) from the U.S. and mostly over priced to boot. However, I find a good deal there once in a while. I bought a brand new power washer with Honda engine there for p14999, which is a great price for PH.

They carry a line of tools called Schaffen and the quality seems to be ok. They always have several types of generators and at first glance I thought the prices were ok. Might be worth checking out if you have one nearby. They have a website. This generator is big but they have smaller ones too.

Schaffen Silent Generator Set TGS20WCD | HMR Trading Haus

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey DonAndAbby

I have sent the store a message from their web site. It looks like they deal in a lot of main house generators where they wire them into the main supply. I am looking for a portable one. Will see if they respond.

thanks for the info. They do have a store in Quezon city

art

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey DonAndAbby

I have sent the store a message from their web site. It looks like they deal in a lot of main house generators where they wire them into the main supply. I am looking for a portable one. Will see if they respond.

thanks for the info. They do have a store in Quezon city

art
They usually have some smaller diesels. I might drop in there today to take a look around and I will jot down some prices.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey DonAndAbby

Yeah, I am looking for one around 6500 to 8000 watts. It can be bigger but not smaller then 6000. Probably the diesel is the way to go there.

Thanks for the help
art

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey DonAndAbby

Yeah, I am looking for one around 6500 to 8000 watts. It can be bigger but not smaller then 6000. Probably the diesel is the way to go there.

Thanks for the help
art
I was at Handyman and they had Fin???? diesel brand on sale 20% off. The largest was 5000W and was p79999 less 20%. Ace and Handyman might have some reasonable deals if you get them on a good sale.

HMR was out of the Schaffen ones I was thinking about. They used to have a lot of boxed / crated brand new ones and now, none. They had 3 big ones that were very used and beat up like they had been on a constructions site. The price on one was p185,000 but I could not find the watts. It was big so probably 10000+ watts.

They also had a used Ryobi 3800 watt, gasoline, for p27,000.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Prices are unbelievable. they are always high there. I just sold one here in Florida last month. It was a Powermate 6500 watt generator for $200=$10,000 php. Home Depot sells them here new for $500= $25,000 php.

I would like to get at least a 6500 watt one so I can run window unit, frig and a light.

Thanks for all the info. I will check out Ace as soon as I get there next month.

Art

·
Registered
620 Posts
Be careful - if they are used returns from the U.S., they will probably be 115v, whereas you need 230v in Philippines.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Be careful - if they are used returns from the U.S., they will probably be 115v, whereas you need 230v in Philippines.
True, but that Schaffen brand is German, I think, and has 220 outlets. However, I would not even consider one of the used ones I saw. Like most of the stuff in HMR, they were not in good shape.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey DonAndAbby

My GF went to mall and check on some there. She saw the 7800 watt PoWergen, Firman FPG 7800 watt also. You know anything about these brands? They were 36,000 php. Not to bad if they are any good.

Art

·
Registered
620 Posts
True, but that Schaffen brand is German, I think, and has 220 outlets. However, I would not even consider one of the used ones I saw. Like most of the stuff in HMR, they were not in good shape.
If they are German then they will be 50Hz not 60Hz as required in Philippines. Philippines is pretty unique having a 230v 60Hz supply.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey DonAndAbby

My GF went to mall and check on some there. She saw the 7800 watt PoWergen, Firman FPG 7800 watt also. You know anything about these brands? They were 36,000 php. Not to bad if they are any good.

Art
Also be careful of the model numbers as they don't always signify the wattage. For example that Firman FPG7800 is only a 5500w output.

<Snip>

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anybody have the portable diesel generator. Is it beneficial in the long run to buy diesel? they cost a lot more. Is it really worth it?

thanks

art

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hey DonAndAbby

Art
They had Firman at Handyman yesterday. That is the one I was trying to think of the name.

I was trying to find my old generator on Sears.com, and noticed Firman is sold there. However, I don't know anything about those brands.

I had a Craftsman 5600 with B&S engine when I lived in FL. I bought it in 2003 and sold it to a co-worker in 2006. She still has it, last I heard.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Diesel will be the cheapest cost to operate. A diesel engine running on a fairly constant load around 80% or so of capacity is one of the most efficient internal combustion engines out there. Diesel engine will be more expensive to buy initially so you have to balance capital cost and operating costs. Might be harder to get diesel in smaller capacities, less than 5kW.

If only light occasional use and you already gave gas engines around needing gas in containers the difference may not be worth the hassle of having two types of fuel around. Also in a sustained emergency you can always get fuel from your vehicle to run the generator so having a generator same fuel as your car is useful.

Sound can always be attenuated by an enclosure or a long extension cord.

Running a diesel engine at too low a load can cause problem so getting the capacity right is important.

A useful web site for information and pricing on generators is www.generatorjoe.net . They have a lot of information on sizing generators, comparative prices on a wide range of sizes and other useful information. Prices are FOB USA so you will have to make appropriate adjustments.

In anticipation of Y2K at home I rewired my main panel to have a sub panel with my essential circuits on it. (Furnace, kitchen and water pump mainly) I then simply ran an extension cord to a generator weather proof plug outside.

I used it only once in an extended outage due to a storm, I simply opened the panel, disconnected it from the main panel wired the extension cord into it then moved the generator to the deck near the plug outside and started it up. Worked like a charm, we had lights, food stayed cold in the refrigerator and freezer. Stove and oven did not work but the microwave and gas BBQ was enough for cooking. Biggest problem was hungry cold neighbours lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts