Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears,

My plan is to visit Sydney for one month at 1st of May, thats if i got the visa hopefully...

The accommodation seems to be in a Hostel, the most cheap choice and i can change to another anytime.

But for the transportation, im thinking to buy a car for the month period and sell it before i leave. Is it a good idea? What do you think guys?? is easy to buy car there while i will be new there and have an international license and not yet have tax file and bank account.

Please help me in this regard.

Best regards,

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
hi steafo

have u considered renting a car? see if the damage of buying and reselling is as much as renting one.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My brother backpacked for a while in Australia, he bought a campervan in Brisbane and then sold it 3 months later in Sydney. He is into cars (but not a mechanic) so he scrubbed and polished it and ended up making money on it.

I believe he sold it at a car / c'van sale arranged primarily for back packers etc This is many years ago now but I'm sure similar things still exist. I'm afraid I cant help you with the location he bought or sold it, but perhaps researching from a backpacker angle might turn up some suggestions.

It must be possible, but i have a feeling that you have to have a car certificate (like the British MOT) when you sell a car, I'm not sure how much this would cost.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Dears,

My plan is to visit Sydney for one month at 1st of May, thats if i got the visa hopefully...

The accommodation seems to be in a Hostel, the most cheap choice and i can change to another anytime.

But for the transportation, im thinking to buy a car for the month period and sell it before i leave. Is it a good idea? What do you think guys?? is easy to buy car there while i will be new there and have an international license and not yet have tax file and bank account.

Please help me in this regard.

Best regards,
I would rent as it is maintained by them and if it breaks, you get a replacement.. I do not see buying, maintaining and paying insurance feasible then renting, if it is for just 3-4 weeks..

buying selling, paperwork, insurance atleast will take one week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first recommendation would be to use public transportation; bus, ferry, and train are cheap and convenient and a great way to explore. If you need a car for a month, maybe you could use a car-share service like GoGet. Depending on where you stay, they can be very convenient.
Tim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wouldnt have thought you'd need a car if you are there a month. Lots of hostels have notice board with cheap cars adertised, usually cars other back packers have used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts