Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having been in France for 6 weeks we want to buy a French registered car, and are looking to spend about E15,000.

We have seen a couple in main dealers, but do the same procedures apply as in the UK with haggling over the price?

Is it better to go to an insurance company first and then get the car, or do the lot through the dealer?

We havent seen many other ways of buying a car other than from the English who seem to be a tad unrealstisic on price, so had resigned ourselves to buying from a main dealer which we would never have done in the UK. I suppose a lack of knowledge forces your hand sometimes.

·
Administrator
50,415 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't haggle all that much over the price (and didn't when buying my last car, a couple years ago). One of the (big, IMO) advantages to buying through a dealer is that they will handle ALL the registration stuff for you - which is worth quite a bit to me.

Also, once you have agreed to buy a car, you have at least a couple of days before you can drive it off the lot (due to registration and other paperwork). Use that time to talk to your own insurance agent/broker or go through your bank (if you want or need something really quickly). You can always change insurance at the expiry date of the policy, but you will need to have the little green insurance thingee to stick in the window in order to drive off the lot with your new car. (You will need the vehicle number for the car for the insurer to quote you a price.)

This last time, I did everything for the insurance by e-mail - but we've been insured through this same place for years now.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
having been in France for 6 weeks we want to buy a French registered car, and are looking to spend about E15,000.

We have seen a couple in main dealers, but do the same procedures apply as in the UK with haggling over the price?

Is it better to go to an insurance company first and then get the car, or do the lot through the dealer?

We havent seen many other ways of buying a car other than from the English who seem to be a tad unrealstisic on price, so had resigned ourselves to buying from a main dealer which we would never have done in the UK. I suppose a lack of knowledge forces your hand sometimes.
Yes haggle.....haggle lots. Walk away if they are not haggling with you.

I don't understand that you can't see other ways of buying a car in France other than from other English types . Only English sell cars in France ?

:confused:

Voiture occasion - Annonces auto - La Centrale

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
If you're buying privately, you haggle (a lot). If you buy through a dealer, you can still haggle but are not likely to achieve a very big reduction. Maybe you could do a deal through a dealership on a low km demonstrator - I got a really good deal that way (plus I did manage to 'haggle' to get the price down a bit - can't remember by how much, but it was at least 1000 Euros plus they gave me a super price on my trade-in; old car vs. 3 month old vehicle with lots of extras cost me maybe 1000 Euros).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes haggle.....haggle lots. Walk away if they are not haggling with you.

I don't understand that you can't see other ways of buying a car in France other than from other English types . Only English sell cars in France ?

:confused:

Voiture occasion - Annonces auto - La Centrale
Maybe I should have explained that we have found main dealers a plenty and only one or two second hand dealers. With limited internet and using facebook I have found a facebook group which is all english people selling stuff for what seems over inflated prices but not much else. In a rare moment of full on internet yesterday I found more french options, but with my limited knowledge of french geography its a struggle to work things out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think we will go the main dealer route, haggle a little and get the paperwork dealt with.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I do not know where you are based but in a period of boredom whilst waiting for my car which was being serviced I asked a salesman about a Citroen Nemo Without even haggling he said that if I took the one on the forecourt he would knock €4500 of the price tag because it was a funny colour(it was ) and offered me a good trade in price so I would have ended up paying less than a couple of thousand for a new car My wife said no i dont like the colour ! As we went to walk out I am sure that the salesman would have wrapped himself round our legs like a toddler if he thought he was in with a chance so good luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Nothing wrong using main dealers. You can haggle a bit but nothing like as much discount as the US or UK.

Used cars are much more expensive in France. I personally would not touch one (while finances permit) the way the French treat their cars.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Not I personally would not touch one (while finances permit) the way the French treat their cars.
That made me laugh, but you are right. The French don't have much attachment to their cars like the British. My OH has a brand new/month old BMW company car. It looks trashed already. :eek:

You can always spot a British cars on the autoroute before you see the number plate ;)

They all look shiny and brand new :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts