Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Just a couple points of clarification:

Everyone says that used cars are expensive in France as compared to in the UK. This may be, in part, because you can only sell a used car that has recently (within six months) passed the controle technique - which means the car has to be in decent running condition. (I know this is always a big concern in the US when buying a used car.)

Payment for a car, or for any purchase greater than 1500€ (I think it is now) has to be by traceable means. Check is the most common, but as long as it isn't cash, it's usually OK.

The bonus-malus system for insurance takes a bit of getting used to. But, once you have been insured on a 50% bonus for a couple years, you may well be accorded various privileges (i.e. even if you claim, you won't lose the 50% status).

But I don't believe you have to pay anything other than a nominal processing fee (i.e. for printing a new carte grise - about 3€ or so) for a simple change of address. If you buy a car with the old-format license plate, you have to get a new format plate number, and there may be a charge for that. But a simple address change is basically a paperwork thing. https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12118

Cheers,
Bev

We moved to France nearly 4 weeks ago and bought a used (3 year old) car which we collected last Friday.

Points to note:

Used cars are expensive in France, especially compared to the UK

We paid with a Bank Transfer, which was easier, although a cheque is the norm.

Insurance, 3 years proof of insurance is required. We were lucky because we thought proof of no claims bonus would be enough, but it wasnt and we had to provide proof of three years insurance (for each drive). Luckily we were with the same insurer for 3 years so we could prove via renewals insurance emails. If we had know this before, we would have come with Insurance Cerrtificates going back for as long as we could provide them. Also, discounts on insurance in France is different from the UK and any accidents that are your fault will go against you (no NO CLAIMS PROTECTION).

We searched across a 200km region for a Car. Worth checking Le Bon Coin, LeParking.fr, autosphere and autoscout.

We finally bought a German Car from a main dealer for 'Peace of Mind' with a 2 year guarantee. Carte Gris costs are high and if you move house, you have to get a new one and pay again (300 to 700 euros for this).

In relation to French Cars. Owned a Peugeot 3008 for 4 years in the UK and a very practical car, however, avoid French Autos and they are nothing on German Autos or VAG (recommend Skoda).

Hope this helps.
This is not necessarily true. I know people who do not get penalised by their insurers for accidents that are not their fault. There are quite a number of insurers here now who will give drivers with a good record the full no claim bonus for life - my insurer (AXA) does so.

Not at all, although the fine for not doing it can run very high. https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F12118

I'm moving to France too. 1st, i tried to take my CRV back w/ me but was quickly discouraged when told that the tests are costly, that taking them does not guarantee that the car will pass and i'd have to take the car to Montlhéry which is the only town where they do the tests. So I am selling my CRV for about $ 5,000.00. it has 60,000 mi and is in very good condition. Now, the French market... Cars are mucho mas expensive there. I am offered a Tiguan 2012 with 120,000 km for 18,500.00€!! Ouch. I am moving to Bordeaux and would have to go pick it up in Blois. Frankly i don't know what to do. Luckily I am insured w/ la MAIF and may have some options there. But still, there is a big difference in cost, don't you think?

There is definitely a big difference in cost. But OTOH, you're more or less guaranteed a functioning vehicle. The controle technique costs something like 70€ and if the car doesn't pass, you have a month or so to fix the fault and re-test or the vehicle can't be taken on the roads anymore. (I seem to recall in California, they couldn't require you to invest more than $50 or so in repairs to correct a fault uncovered in the inspection process.)

Gasoline is also much more expensive here - but you don't normally drive as much, at least not on a regular basis. I'm sure if you look around in the Bordeaux area you can find an acceptable vehicle for much, much less than that Tiguan you were offered.

When you move country you spend your money differently. Some things are more expensive while other things are considerably cheaper.
Cheers,
Bev

Having just bought a "voiture d'occasion" from a dealer, I can only agree with all previous comments. It was surprisingly easy and the dealership was very helpful (of course - we were spending quite a lot of money with them!). We actually bought a German car and we went petrol, after years of diesel, despite diesel currently being the cheapest fuel option.

They did need all the usual proof of residence which we were prepared for. What we were not prepared for was the subsequent debacle over insurance. We may not have done enough research prior to entering into negotiations, but do beware.

Basically we decided to go with the insurance company recommended by the garage, having also obtained a quote from our bank to compare rates/cover. In order to qualify for their equivalent of "no claims bonus", we needed to prove our insuance record in the UK which we thought would be relatively easy. Initially they were asking for a record going back 3 years, but once we got to the point of providing the paperwork, they then decided they needed a record dating back 13 years (slightly random number, but there you go!). My husband had his insurance certificates for the last 5 years, but not for the preceding years. He then had to spend hours (much of it on hold!)contacting the insurers to get confirmation of our record. This was further complicated by the fact that in that time he had changed company once, due to pricing issues, and the insurance company itself had changed name about 10 years' ago!!! In the end the garage-recommended insurance company would not accept our paperwork and they cancelled the contract, giving us a week to find an alternative. They said we had a "broken period" of cover which was not true, but we had changed company once which the French system doesn't seem to be able to cope with easily.

Luckily we were able to go to the broker with whom we had arranged our house insurance (don't know why we didn't in the first place - stupidly didn't even think of it!) and they have managed to find us cover, with the no-claims bonus, although not at such a good price.

So in summary, what we've learned from this is:

a) insurance arrangements are very different worldwide (the broker said that the UK's system always gives them problems!)

b) try to get an insurance history showing your cover as far back as possible BEFORE embarking on buying a car. Easier done in advance than when in a panic!

c) consider using a broker, rather than go direct! They can certainly help smooth the process and we have negotiated a good deal with them on other policies.

Good luck!

Let me add one additional thought to your summary list:

Don't necessarily look for the "cheapest" insurance. As my Dad taught me when I was first learning to drive - what you want is value for what you're paying, which means a good and quick claims record. French insurers are well known for finding ways to avoid paying claims and the auto insurers are no exception.

If you find a good insurance agent, always give him or her the first option on any new policy you need or want. We've dealt with the same guy here (who is a "branded" agent) for years - and recently, when we've had reason to make a series of small claims, I've been seriously impressed by how quickly and easily things have been handled. Although my bank counselor insists they can offer me a cheaper policy, I have no interest in changing insurer at this point even if I'm paying a little more.
Cheers,
Bev

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Outstanding!
Lots of great comments and advice.
Also today my wife and I received our VISAs exactly 2 weeks after our interviews in Chicago! My wife had to fly out from Utah and I drove up to Chicago for the event.
We had our appointment on the Fete Nationale.
The appointments were short and very pleasant. I had started preparing months in advance and had pretty much everything notarized!
It was surprisingly painless.
We purchased MSH International "Gold" insurance (AARO).
I gave our "interviewer" a little lapel pin with the American/French flag combo on it for having to work on the 14th. The pin is kinda cool.
I think we can have all the paperwork for the car readily available.
I still would like a Peugeot.
New vs. used is our big question.
I like the dealership idea and Menton has a Peugeot dealer therein.
Do new cars depreciate as fast in France as in the US? If not I most likely will try and get a new one.
I am going to call the dealer - the website advertises all these cool new cars but underneath each is written, "Aucun vehicule en stock pour le moment"!!
I don't know if they just send out to Nice to get one, make one from scratch or have a bunch of 308s in Sochaux or what.
Their website does show some "voitures d'occasions" so that might be best.
Thanks again for all the great comments!
I'm sure to have more as we get settled in.
Brian

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Also just thought of a few more questions:
1. What percentage will the VAT usually be? (I'm thinking car cost of 25,000 - 35,000 Euro).
2. The Peugeot site lists used cars all over the country. Do you usually go there to pick up the vehicle (ie fly from Nice to Poitiers of something like that) and then drive it home?
3. Most have recommended car insurance data for 5+ years - does that mean you gather that data from the US companies to take with you? (example: I was with GEICO for 20 years and last 5 with AAA - call them and get the data?)
4. If my wife makes all the arrangements and buys the car before I arrive can it be in both of our names? Does it matter?
Thanks!
Brian

Hey, if you want a Peugeot, then you get a Peugeot. I would recommend doing a test drive first, though, since French cars do handle a bit differently from what you may be used to. And consider whether you're ready to drive a manual transmission or want to hold out for an automatic.

Also just thought of a few more questions:
1. What percentage will the VAT usually be? (I'm thinking car cost of 25,000 - 35,000 Euro).
VAT is 20% - however the VAT is included in the price quoted to consumers. It's not like sales tax in the US. (Adding it on the way they do there really throws European shoppers.)
2. The Peugeot site lists used cars all over the country. Do you usually go there to pick up the vehicle (ie fly from Nice to Poitiers of something like that) and then drive it home?
If you go through the dealer, I think they can arrange to bring the car in for you. But take a look at what the dealer has - especially the "slightly" used vehicles (often no more than 3 to 10 months old). Again, you definitely want to make a test drive before you decide and you don't have that option if you make your choice over the Internet.
3. Most have recommended car insurance data for 5+ years - does that mean you gather that data from the US companies to take with you? (example: I was with GEICO for 20 years and last 5 with AAA - call them and get the data?)
Yup.
4. If my wife makes all the arrangements and buys the car before I arrive can it be in both of our names? Does it matter?
The one issue might be that of having i.d. in your name. At that point, you'll pretty much only have your passport for i.d. and if you're not there yet, you're not going to be able to let her have your passport for i.d. cause you need it to travel. You could try giving her a photocopy of your passport, though technically speaking I think the dealer isn't really supposed to take a photocopy (to register the car for you) unless he has seen the original. While they might do it for a long-time customer, don't be surprised if they are hesitant to accept a copy from a new customer fresh off the street.
Cheers,
Bev

I would do some reading up first before splashing that kind of money on a Peugeot. ;)

Peugeot really are for the diehards. They are not exactly well made. The only decent car they have ever made is the 205 GTI.

I really think VAG or another german made car is a better option.

Come on... he wants the lion!

There was a radio program in the states called 'car talk', a couple of brothers would joke with callers about their car problems. One show they had on Morley Safer from '60 minutes' fame, and he was a die hard Peugeot guy who had some luxury model from the 60s or 70s can't remember. Boy, they gave him hell as I remember and it is was great fun.

Check with the dealer whether they (or other dealers in the general area) have any demonstrators with low km for sale. That way you avoid the initial loss on the brand new car, but get a very recent model at a far better price, sometimes with all the bells and whistles by way of extras and you don't have to wait ages for it :) I did this and got a vehicle with lots of special extras, very low km and only 2 months into its warranty.

The badge will eventually fall off......like everything else :)
Well, that depends at least in part on how long you keep the car. I've seen badges fall of pretty much every German brand vehicle (sometimes very recent models) as well as pretty much every other brand vehicle. At the same time, I've know people who have Peugeots (and other vehicles) for many year who have had no such problem. Anyway, you can usually get the badge replaced.

:D :D

At the end of the day, people buy the car that they can afford and has the most appeal for them as individuals.

The other thing to remember is that VAG is under something of a cloud these days, given their performance in the diesel scandal - and the German government has just charged the big German car makers with anti-trust violations in the matter.

EH's suggestion to see what they have onsite is an excellent one. They generally sell off the demos after just a few months of service - and obviously, the demos are impeccably maintained during that time. You also want to test drive the car before you decide. French cars handle quite differently than what you are probably used to. (Very differently from German cars, in fact.)

And then there is the manual/automatic question. Do both you and your wife drive a manual? If not, it could limit your choice of used vehicles.

Also, consider whether you want a gasoline or a diesel engine. There are starting to be more restrictions on diesel vehicles, though the word is currently that both diesel and gas engines will be phased out over the next 20 years or so. Still, with something like 75% of the cars in use being diesel, if you go used, you may find that the majority of those used cars available are diesel.
Cheers,
Bev

Well, that depends at least in part on how long you keep the car. I've seen badges fall of pretty much every German brand vehicle (sometimes very recent models)
They are stolen EH.

Street cred kids do not steal Peugeot badges off cars. They fall off. And I bet the kids would not pick them up either.

My French Auntie has a Peugeot. The only thing that is not original on the car is the steering wheel. Everything else has been replaced. That is actually quite true. Well almost.

They are stolen EH.

Street cred kids do not steal Peugeot badges off cars. They fall off. And I bet the kids would not pick them up either.

My French Auntie has a Peugeot. The only thing that is not original on the car is the steering wheel. Everything else has been replaced. That is actually quite true. Well almost.
My French Dad had a Peugeot for well over 20 years and everything was original and the badge most certainly did not fall off. I have other French relatives (as you know I have a huge number of French relatives) who have Peugeots and have no such issues. Your comments are just nonsense and biased. However, no matter the make, model, age you can always be unlucky with a car - you know that one in however many that has all sorts of problems.

As I said, people seek advice, most take it into account. but most will make the decision based on what really appeals to them as individuals, so there's no point :deadhorse:

My French Dad had a Peugeot for well over 20 years and everything was original and the badge most certainly did not fall off. I have other French relatives (as you know I have a huge number of French relatives) who have Peugeots and have no such issues. Your comments are just nonsense and biased. However, no matter the make, model, age you can always be unlucky with a car - you know that one in however many that has all sorts of problems.

As I said, people seek advice, most take it into account. but most will make the decision based on what really appeals to them as individuals, so there's no point :deadhorse:
You know I am only mucking about :D

I drive a 27 year old Saab 900 classic which still drives 'ish' like it is brand knew. It still has a cassette player. You probably won't remember what a cassette player is being so young.

I quite like the Peugeot 508 break.

http://media.peugeot.fr/image/20/7/peugeot-508-sw-2015-03.35207.11.jpg?autocrop=1

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Well, I'll have to rethink the Peugeot!
Still like the lion....
Can one "barter" with the dealers here?
Is that a bad idea?
My wife and I both drive manuals - she wants the automatic and I want the Peugeot!
My experience in home buying here is that the Italians barter; the French don't so much.

I got the dealer down a bit from the original proposed price on my demo - can't remember how much. I don't know what it's like in your area though. What I did was more hum and ha and show some reluctance, rather than really barter (because they were inclined to be very firm on the price). All I can say is that it depends. Overall, though, it was a good deal when I checked with others what they had paid and what they got for the money.

Why can't you get the Peugeot as automatic? I bought automatic and they are way less common and less popular where I live than where you will be. (I can drive a manual, but it's been a fair while and conditions here are very different to Australia - especially since in Oz they drive on the left! :D )

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.