Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy a holiday home in Spain but remain a UK resident (spending approx 5 months of the year in Spain) will I be able to buy a car in Spain and if so what paperwork & other requirements does it involve ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
If I buy a holiday home in Spain but remain a UK resident (spending approx 5 months of the year in Spain) will I be able to buy a car in Spain and if so what paperwork & other requirements does it involve ? Thanks in advance.
The five months cannot be continuous because if you are here more than 90 days, Spain will consider you a resident and you will have to register on the foreigners list and to do that you have to show proof of an income of 600-650€ per person going into a Spanish bank account AND proof of healthcare coverage.

We bought our first car before becoming resident. You will need a NIE, an address (for car tax purposes).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this, but now confused - Thought it was 182 days.
Just want a holiday home and to be able to come & go when ever we want for a few months at a time but as car hire is expensive we thought buying one over here would be more economical.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Easy to get a car as advised NIE number and an address required Insurance again is easy to arrange and equivalent of road tax to pay yearly at the town hall. The insurance is for the car not the driver so most policies cover any driver over 25 so friends can make use of your car if visiting

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Thanks for this, but now confused - Thought it was 182 days.
Just want a holiday home and to be able to come & go when ever we want for a few months at a time but as car hire is expensive we thought buying one over here would be more economical.
You are getting confused with becoming a tax resident. More than 183 days in a tax year (Jan-Dec) and you will become taxable in Spain.

Bear in mind that if you buy a car over here for use when here on holiday, you have to have somewhere to put/store it when you aren't here, and safe storage can cost money. Secondhand cars, here are inclined to be expensive by UK standards but they tend not to rust like in UK and you will find a high preponderance of cars more than 15 years old (they will have the old style registration).

I have just looked on Travelsupermarket.com and put in dates from tomorrow for a month and it gives me a price of €47.75 for a Mini, €233 for a compact estate, so car hire is not too exepnsive - depends on what you need, for how long and when.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Follow the quote through adding all the excess insurance etc and you will see that what you pay is considerably more than the first price!

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Follow the quote through adding all the excess insurance etc and you will see that what you pay is considerably more than the first price!

it's one of those "you pay your money and take your choice" especially bearing in mind that a car is likely to cost say, €5,000 plus tax to buy and insurance plus storage when not in use, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The five months cannot be continuous because if you are here more than 90 days, Spain will consider you a resident and you will have to register on the foreigners list and to do that you have to show proof of an income of 600-650€ per person going into a Spanish bank account AND proof of healthcare coverage.

We bought our first car before becoming resident. You will need a NIE, an address (for car tax purposes).
Hi Balidilocks,
Please can you confirm that if my wife and I intend to buy a house and become residents in Spain when we retire, it is a definite requirement that we both need to have an income of over 600 Euros per month paid into a Spanish bank account?
John

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi Balidilocks,
Please can you confirm that if my wife and I intend to buy a house and become residents in Spain when we retire, it is a definite requirement that we both need to have an income of over 600 Euros per month paid into a Spanish bank account?
John
Yep, afraid so. There is little or no safety net here so you have to be fully self-supporting and to register as a resident on the foreigners list you have to show that you have sufficient income and that you are covered for healthcare. If you are on Old Age Pension, then DWP in Newcastle will issue you with forms S1 which will cover you for health care. The Spanish government don't want you to find yourself in a position where you may need to go back to UK because you have no money or are ill (you may have heard that the UK authorities [Embassy, Consulates, etc.] are very limited in what assistance they can give you. The alternative as far as the income is concerned is to have a capital sum of 6,000 € per person in a Spanish bank account.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Or like thousands do.......don't bother registering......3,2,1
Stupid idea. A friend of mine didnt bother registering his Audi, he paid the insurance on it tho, cos he thought he ought to - and then his audi was stolen from outside of his house in Spain..... the insurance wouldnt pay up - he was a resident in Spain driving a UK car - eventho he protested that he really lived in the UK, they asked him to prove it and he couldnt. Now, this was with one of those insurance companies who claim to insure british cars.....

He then got in trouble with the guardia because of it. I dont know what happened in the end, but he was none to pleased about not having a car!

So no, dont break the law. Besides they do so many spot checks on drivers....

Jo xxx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Totting up

Yep, afraid so. There is little or no safety net here so you have to be fully self-supporting and to register as a resident on the foreigners list you have to show that you have sufficient income and that you are covered for healthcare. If you are on Old Age Pension, then DWP in Newcastle will issue you with forms S1 which will cover you for health care. The Spanish government don't want you to find yourself in a position where you may need to go back to UK because you have no money or are ill (you may have heard that the UK authorities [Embassy, Consulates, etc.] are very limited in what assistance they can give you. The alternative as far as the income is concerned is to have a capital sum of 6,000 € per person in a Spanish bank account.
Thanks for clarifying that, with several years before either of us qualify for Old Age Pensions I'll have to get my calculator out to see if we meet with that requirement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts