Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I need some assistance. I am an American Citizen married to a British citizen. We lived in Arizona, USA and we just purchased our vacation home in France. I have a question regarding buying a car that we can keep in our vacation home. As a non-eu member but have a home in France, can I purchased a car? Or does my husband have to purchased the car in his name since he is still a british citizen?

Anyone, who knows the process, please advise.

Thank

Ruth

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I din't think there are any nationality restrictions on buying cars in France. At the purchase you will have to show your passport(identity) , and probably proof of an address in France. For obvious reasons the car salesman makes it easy!

We've sold second hand cars on Leboncoin, and that's not difficult....as above plus a form (I think) for the carte grise.

Perhaps things have changed recently?....others will know.

DejW

·
Administrator
50,382 Posts
Purchasing and registering the car shouldn't be a problem. You may want to check with your bank or insurance agent (for any other type of insurance you may have on your vacation home) to see what the insurance issues may be.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just went through this 2 weeks ago, having bought my vacation house last September.

I bought a used car, paid cash. No problem on that end. For insurance, I was told I needed my International Driver's License. I don't have that, but my husband was still in Phoenix (our home) so I had him go to AAA and get his instead (this took 30 minutes). He scanned it and emailed it to me, which I forwarded to my insurance agent. Voila, done.

Overall, a fairly painless process. The insurance agency emailed me a copy of my proof of insurance for the window of my car. I'm still waiting for the hard copy which was apparently mailed to me 10 days ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts