1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.?

Hi everyone
I would love some advice :)
I love a challenge so have decided to sell my house in the uk and buy a small campsite in the south west of France so it will generate a small income to go with the income I will receive from a rental property in the uk, this generates around £1000 pcm I am mortgage free and hope to have £50k contingency fund after moving, my current business is motorhome repairs so will hope to also get a bit from that in France but not reliant on it ( hopefully )
I struggle with languages but my wife having lived in Switzerland for some time is quite good and I am determined to learn.
I wouldn't say I was going to retire hence the campsite but earning an income is not top of the list of requirements more covering or outgoings if that makes sense.
Can some business owners give me any advice of course I am open to suggestions from all as you are a great wealth of information which I am sure I will need to rely on at times, yes I know it won't be easy and at times I may wonder why but having turned 50 and daughter starting uni it seems that this is the time to go
Thanks in advance

Nick & Sharon

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Hello

People will be along soon with all the running a business in France info soon.

In the meantime...my questions.

1) Why is the business that you want to buy up for sale ?

2) Why SW France ? It is a bit 'overdone' SW France to be fair.

kindest.

·
Administrator
50,367 Posts
The key thing is that you need to contact the CCI (Chambre de Commerce et d'Industrie) in the departement where you are planning to buy/settle. They have a number of programs designed to help folks looking to start their own business in the area. Just be aware that running a business in France is considerably more bureaucratic and subject to rules and regulations than you are probably used to in the UK.

Now, whether the local CCI has some available who can speak English with you while you learn is an open question - but you'll never find out until you go in and ask the question! The main thing is going to be figuring out what business form you need or want to use. There are single person entities (EIRL, EURL) and there are entities you can set up so that you and your wife can be partners in whatever you do. The main thing with the business entity is to make sure that you are properly registered for taxes and "cotisations" (social insurances), but don't forget that for anything other than an "auto-entrepreneur" status (limited as to turnover, but as simplified as they come), you'll need to maintain a formal set of books and may want to consider having an accountant (expert comptable) for that side of the business.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello

Thanks Smeg
Probably not making enough money or retirement I've not looked at any yet just been browsing on the web sites probably going to pop over next week and have a look around

Sw France ? Umm , I like flying and the area I have visited was there so know it's good for that, also good transport and airport access to hop back to the uk, the wife has old relatives she cares about, I don't care about mine but it's not just me going, not really interested in the hustle and bustle of large towns just something out of the way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bevdeforges

That is just the kind of information I need, I think Sharon will be doing the large part of asking as it will take me a while, ok long while to get proficient in French

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
money or retirement I've not looked at any yet just been browsing on the web sites probably going to pop over next week and have a look around

Sw France ? Umm , I like flying and the area I have visited was there so know it's good for that,
You like flying as in being a pilot of light aircraft ? :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paraglider and paramotor but will be doing what they call flexwing flying sort of a hang glider you sit under, is very poular in France and the airspace is more open and they have loads of small airfields

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Paraglider and paramotor but will be doing what they call flexwing flying sort of a hang glider you sit under, is very poular in France and the airspace is more open and they have loads of small airfields
Cool :)

I guess that is the market you will be targeting with your business.

Sounds like a good niche to me.

·
Registered
493 Posts
"Overdone" to one is "just right" to another.

I also hear that many people still like to visit southwest France (could it be the weather?), so a campsite would seem to be a decent business to have. If the OP can also service caravans all the better.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts

I also hear that many people still like to visit southwest France (could it be the weather?), so a campsite would seem to be a decent business to have. If the OP can also service caravans all the better.
It could be the weather ? Do you watch the French meteo/news in the USofA ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

I am more into the repair and fit side, solar panels, satellite dishes, fridge faults etc so am sure there will be enough to put some food on the table, just made contact with a couple who moved out this year so will go and see them when we are over to get the lowdown so to speak

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hello

People will be along soon with all the running a business in France info soon.

In the meantime...my questions.

kindest.
SW France is an enormous area! You could hardly say that it is all 'overdone' - in fact just a few relatively small areas could be classified as 'overdone'.

·
Administrator
50,367 Posts
I am more into the repair and fit side, solar panels, satellite dishes, fridge faults etc so am sure there will be enough to put some food on the table, just made contact with a couple who moved out this year so will go and see them when we are over to get the lowdown so to speak
Just be careful - when setting up a business, you do have to declare what line of work you're in (and meet the regulations for being in that line of work). Also, your knowledge of the French language will be crucial - both to meet the various regulatory filing requirements and to attract customers. It's generally not enough to rely on the "expat community" to keep a business afloat.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Bev, language is my stumbling block, but will try harder, my wife is really quite fluent so hopefully she will be there for me in the beginning.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I am not normally the person to encourage someone to set up a business in France but... I live close to Toulouse and the services you name are almost impossible to find here, solar system and refrigeration repairs. There is also a lot of interest in airborne sports. More important than language is that you have the qualifications to work and an understanding of French electrical systems.

Chap in my village makes a good living repairing and sourcing cookers, fridges doing them up and selling them on at a reasonable price.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
SW France is an enormous area! You could hardly say that it is all 'overdone' - in fact just a few relatively small areas could be classified as 'overdone'.
If I were to set up a tourist related business (which I would not in a million years because you will starve to death trying) I would not do it in SW France. Simples.:)

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
If I were to set up a tourist related business (which I would not in a million years because you will starve to death trying) I would not do it in SW France. Simples.:)
In Toulouse around Capital yesterday. Lots of tourists and impossible to get a table in the hundreds of restaurants for lunch. Yet 30 mins away where I live, the gites owners are complaining visitors are down. It all depends on if there are interesting places to see and activities that appeal to French and foreign tourists also if you have something original and unique.

In the much maligned SW, today has been 34 deg, not a cloud in the sky, no traffic jams, no pollution, no beggars. I got money from the ATM without worrying who was around. Went to the supermarket, bakery and hairdressers and not one word spoken but French. Gourmet Market tonight in the next village and a disco after -for free.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
In Toulouse around Capital yesterday. Lots of tourists and impossible to get a table in the hundreds of restaurants for lunch. Yet 30 mins away where I live, the gites owners are complaining visitors are down. It all depends on if there are interesting places to see and activities that appeal to French and foreign tourists also if you have something original and unique.

In the much maligned SW, today has been 34 deg, not a cloud in the sky, no traffic jams, no pollution, no beggars. I got money from the ATM without worrying who was around. Went to the supermarket, bakery and hairdressers and not one word spoken but French. Gourmet Market tonight in the next village and a disco after -for free.
Disco for free :eek:

Have you ever been to a French disco ? Have you ever been to a French wedding disco ?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Disco for free :eek:

Have you ever been to a French disco ? Have you ever been to a French wedding disco ?
Yes to both. And...both were great. No drunkenness, no arguments or fights and no girls dressed like slappers. My granddaughters aged 4 and 2 enjoyed the wedding one as well.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Why not just say you wouldn't do it in France, given you've just wiped out more than a quarter of the country?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts