Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Can u please give me some pointers in buying a 2nd hand cars in Australia, and if possible specifically in NSW? What questions should be asked to the seller? Is there a Dept which you can check if the car's previously been written off or been in a amajor accident? Or if the car has outstanding payables on it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
269 Posts
Hi All,

Can u please give me some pointers in buying a 2nd hand cars in Australia, and if possible specifically in NSW? What questions should be asked to the seller? Is there a Dept which you can check if the car's previously been written off or been in a amajor accident? Or if the car has outstanding payables on it?

Thanks in advance!
Ask the seller what is there bottom dollar price and if you can test drive the car.

Also, some things to look for in used cars is oil leaks, mismatch paint like door panel faded more than the front fender panel beside it is. If one panel is faded and the other isn't then more than likely the car has been repainted or in an accident. Check to see how good the tires are if they have a good bit of wear on them you could probably talk the seller down on the price a bit more since you would have to buy new tires soon. Also look up what the blue book value is for that vehicle. I am not sure if Australia uses blue book value or not for private/retail auto sales but kbb.com is a real helpful site here in the United States. If I can think of anything else to help you with on here then I will post more. Good luck!

·
Registered
138 Posts
All cars sold with rego have to pass a road worthy test which generally means its safe, although I have heard that some certs can be dodgy. There is a website where you can check a cars history, I can't remember it off the top of my head but I'm sure you can google it, you need the chassis or engine number and it will tell you if the car has been written off etc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.