Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are getting ready to move to the UAE and need new kitchen chairs. Any recommendations on whether to buy in UK or UAE? Any difference? Does it matter?

·
Registered
479 Posts
To be honest, we shipped over priority goods we wanted and bought other furniture here. Reasonably priced, quick delivery and they assemble for you on delivery.
Thre is Ikea or similar stores like Pan Emirates or Home Centre. Google to have a look at their catalogue s.
Pottery Barn is another.....loads of stores.

Depends what you want to put in your shipped goods?

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Dubizzle
There is a thriving second hand market with such a transient population.
Keep an eye out, and be patient, and you can get some serious bargains.
Be prepared to see some utter crap, too!

Reactions: IzzyBella and Grt1

·
Registered
90 Posts
We came out from UK recently and brought our homely goods, (pictures, photos, sentimental items etc) with us. As previously stated there are loads of stores for the basics....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with other posters. Buy once you land. Plenty of options in UAE and save yourself the international freight and risk of damage. Dubizzle and notice boards at supermarkets have great deals going on 'must sell' items.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If your employer is paying shipping then definitely buy in the UK if you want tasteful, good quality, sensibly priced furniture.

The choice here seems to be split into 4 categories:

1. IKEA type stuff, cheap and fine for 2-3 years then it will start to fall apart.

2. horrendously garish Arab/bad taste Indian furniture, usually in gold and with lots and lots of hideous bling. Can be cheap as chips or ultra expensive. It all looks the same imo.

3. "Designer" European style furniture at many times the price you'd pay in Europe and a lot less choice and usually a bling designer's name to it whether that's your thing or not.

4. Second hand stuff. As said above there are occasional finds but it's usually used versions of 1, 2 or 3 :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

Remember that if you are buying in the UK to take with you then technically any new items would be subject to import duty @ 5% of the value of the items.

Of course, lots of people buy new items, put them in their household shipment and don't declare them - but technically this is not allowed.

Something to bear in mind if you are buying new items to ship...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Hi,

Remember that if you are buying in the UK to take with you then technically any new items would be subject to import duty @ 5% of the value of the items.

Of course, lots of people buy new items, put them in their household shipment and don't declare them - but technically this is not allowed.

Something to bear in mind if you are buying new items to ship...

Matthew you very obviously work for Pickfords or similar in the UK

Are you sussing out if it's worth paying for ads here?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi, Remember that if you are buying in the UK to take with you then technically any new items would be subject to import duty @ 5% of the value of the items. Of course, lots of people buy new items, put them in their household shipment and don't declare them - but technically this is not allowed. Something to bear in mind if you are buying new items to ship...
What is considered new? Something with original wrapping or something that has a box? I have kept boxes for my computers, printers, kitchen small appliances, TV's, DVD players....
Also I am thinking of bringing all my appliances as I saw most apartments come pretty much naked.
I don't mind the shipping cost due to the fact that after business sale goes through this Friday (keeping fingers crossed) I am going to owe IRS taxes big time and I could at least deduct the whole cost of moving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What is considered new? Something with original wrapping or something that has a box? I have kept boxes for my computers, printers, kitchen small appliances, TV's, DVD players....
In the UAE it's only BRAND new (in some countries they say you have to have owned and used for 12 months!)

Matthew you very obviously work for Pickfords or similar in the UK
You got me! Although I'd like to think we're a little different to that particular company :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts