Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy a used car from a private (maybe Dubizzle) intend of dealer one, because it's cheaper.
What I need to know is: before buying it, is there any association/garage recognized by government that gives you all the information about the car and the maintenance it needs?
Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi. I think the short answer is 'No'. A vehicle inspection is required by law in order to transfer the vehicle between owners. In my opinion it's designed to spot major defects that would make the vehicle un-roadworthy but you can't rely on it to identify things that might go wrong in the near future. The inspections are carried out at government accredited inspection stations which are spread across the city. Have a look at the following websites for details about locations and times of operation:

Roads & Transport Authority - GIS Maps
Where to find Shamil
Home

And yes the previous threads and sticky will help to answer the maintenance question.

Good luck!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi. It may be that you are looking at cars from different cities/emirates so the markets may be a little different to Dubai. But I would not recommend buying a car in another emirate and then transferring the vehicle registration to Dubai. It adds another layer of paper work and substantial costs. I did it and it was a quite a bit of effort. Also unless you have really looked at the vehicles it is very difficult to judge if the car is in fact equal and cheaper. It may simply be cheaper because it is in poorer condition (e.g. Body work, service history, Kms).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be extra careful my friend - there are many hidden foxes between the sheep's.

So you're answer - you can if you are extremely talented in inspecting vehicles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts