Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello expats!

I'm a writer, interested in living in Scotland for a year while I work on a novel set in Scotland. I have published 1 novel, have another coming out in December 11 and another coming out in December 12. (Writing is how I make most of my living, although I do a little freelance editing on the side too. I am not a best-selling author and I haven't won any awards. These are published by large publishers though, not self-published....). What sorts of visa's might I qualify for? I see that a lot of the different types of writer/artist visas have been discontinued as of late (and I'm not sure I would have qualified for them anyway. I don't make a ton of $$, I just live inexpensively).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hello expats!

I'm a writer, interested in living in Scotland for a year while I work on a novel set in Scotland. I have published 1 novel, have another coming out in December 11 and another coming out in December 12. (Writing is how I make most of my living, although I do a little freelance editing on the side too. I am not a best-selling author and I haven't won any awards. These are published by large publishers though, not self-published....). What sorts of visa's might I qualify for? I see that a lot of the different types of writer/artist visas have been discontinued as of late (and I'm not sure I would have qualified for them anyway. I don't make a ton of $$, I just live inexpensively).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
There is now only one category of visa for writers, and that is Tier 1 Exceptional Talent. There is an overall limit of 1000 such visas each year, divided between four broad categories (so there are only 200 for humanities applicants including authors) and successful applicants must have their status as exceptionally talented endorsed by the British Academy, who has to work along the rules established by the Home Office.
See http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/t1-exceptional-talent-guide.pdf, though some links don't work as the scheme has only been in existence for a month.

Without knowing your details, it does appear you really need to be an internationally acclaimed author, a winner of major prizes etc, whose presence in UK will make a positive contribution to the arts and sciences.

If you don't qualify for this visa, you just need to come over as a visitor for 6 months, which cannot be extended. While you can do your research for your next book, you aren't allowed to take up any employment, and you need to have enough funds to pay for all your costs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa. HMM. Yes, I do not think I qualify for the Tier 1 visa. Are there any possible loopholes to this? Like, say, could I start a writing company in the US and hire myself as an overseas employee?

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.