Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are Mortgage Brokers from Scotland, desperate to join family in Australia (Perth area preferably, but we'd consider anywhere). We do not 'fit' into any of the Visa categories. Our business has not reached the turnover threshold for a Business Visa (or State Sponsored Business Visa) and Mortgage Brokers are not on the Skilled workers lists. I have other family in Scotland, so cannot obtain a family Visa. I'm 38, my partner is 48. We've explored all possibilities, and have come up with one last resort....to look for sponsorship. We (on the sale of our house in Scotland) will have money we could invest in a business in Australia. We'd consider any business! The invested money would be for an agreed share in said business, but in return also for employer sponsorship for one of us. (We'd cover all costs of the sponsorship)!

I'm really at this point just looking for views and opinions but would love to hear of anyone that someone might know that would welcome an investment in their business, whether it's a struggling one, or just one looking to expand or whatever!

Cheers, :tongue1:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked out the requirements/obligations of the business visa? Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 27. Business Skills Migration

I'd recommend you contact an agent to ask their advice on what your options are....the first consultation is usually free, without obligation.

Good luck
Dolly

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Dolly

Thanks for the reply and the welcome. We are not eligible for a business visa, or any other kind. I have studied this indepth over 3 years now. Sponsorship is our only hope. I'm well aware there are thousands of people looking for sponsorship though. We're hoping the offer of investment into a business might help! My next plan is to advertise in The Western Australian newspaper and offer financial investment into a business in exchange for sponsorship. :) My family out there are also keeping their eyes and ears open.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
I know you mentioned family in Perth - can't they sponsor you? I know you may have checked that out already but I thought it would mention it anyway - just in case.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion Karen, but no, as I have other brothers and sisters here (Scotland), they cannot sponsor me! That could only happen if I had no siblings here! :(

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Karen, but no, as I have other brothers and sisters here (Scotland), they cannot sponsor me! That could only happen if I had no siblings here! :(
I thought balance of family was only for parent visas - I didn't realise it applied to siblings too. That seems crazy since more distant relatives can sponsor - I'm sure I've read that on this website from members.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, it definitely applies to siblings :( I'd have been there 3 years ago if family sponsorship was an option for me. My brother's lived there 6 years, and my sister 4! Thanks though! :)

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Scotsgrl:

I was looking over the 176 sponsored form and application and I don't see a balance of family request. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to check with an Immigration agent to confirm that your siblings in AU couldn't sponsor you (I think they can).

I have definitely seen that balance of family test for parent visas, but not for 176 visas.

No, it definitely applies to siblings :( I'd have been there 3 years ago if family sponsorship was an option for me. My brother's lived there 6 years, and my sister 4! Thanks though! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi, many thanks for replying...

The Visa you're referring to is the Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) I believe?!? Neither my partner or I qualify as a skilled Migrant...whether sponsored or not unfortunately. We are not qualified to do any job in the Skilled Occupations list. We own a Mortgage company, and my Partner has many Finanical qualifications, but Mortgage Brokers etc are not on the list.

The one I am referring to is the Remaining Relative Visa (I copied and pasted what it says).

Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if both of these apply:

you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.
Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.

So, I believe our only hope (and it's a long shot) is Employer Sponsorship, probably in a rural area where it's difficult to recruit staff.

I know a lady from here who was sponsored by an Estate Agency in some little town near Brisbane. The woman had never worked in an Estate Agents in her life, but had admin experience, and the owner sponsored her. She was a friend of a friend of a friend of the owners of the Estate Agents. This has given me hope, because although potential employers have to prove they've tried to recruit locally, it would appear there are ways and means round this.

I am aware there are literally thousands of people seeking Employer Sponsorship for Australia, and some are way more qualified than us but I can only hope that our offer of a financial lump-sum will help our case! :)

Thanks everyone for your help! :clap2:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Scotsgrl:

What about:
Financial Dealers and Brokers (nec) 3212-79

Vetassess is the agency that certifies this occupation, perhaps drop them a line to find out if Mortgage brokers fall under this occupation.

It's a 40 point occupation, so you still need to make the needed points to apply, but if Vetassess comes back positive and you have the points you could still consider a 175/176.

Remaining Relative is a no go, it really means the last relative anywhere.

Hi, many thanks for replying...

The Visa you're referring to is the Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176) I believe?!? Neither my partner or I qualify as a skilled Migrant...whether sponsored or not unfortunately. We are not qualified to do any job in the Skilled Occupations list. We own a Mortgage company, and my Partner has many Finanical qualifications, but Mortgage Brokers etc are not on the list.

The one I am referring to is the Remaining Relative Visa (I copied and pasted what it says).

Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if both of these apply:

you have a brother, sister, parent (or step-equivalent) who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia
you and your partner have no brothers, sisters, non-dependent children, parents (or step-equivalents) other than those in Australia.
Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.

So, I believe our only hope (and it's a long shot) is Employer Sponsorship, probably in a rural area where it's difficult to recruit staff.

I know a lady from here who was sponsored by an Estate Agency in some little town near Brisbane. The woman had never worked in an Estate Agents in her life, but had admin experience, and the owner sponsored her. She was a friend of a friend of a friend of the owners of the Estate Agents. This has given me hope, because although potential employers have to prove they've tried to recruit locally, it would appear there are ways and means round this.

I am aware there are literally thousands of people seeking Employer Sponsorship for Australia, and some are way more qualified than us but I can only hope that our offer of a financial lump-sum will help our case! :)

Thanks everyone for your help! :clap2:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Amaslam

I am now wondering about applying for a 176 Visa as a 'Sales & Marketing Manager'...I'm gonna contact AIM to find out more. It's a 60 point job, which is what I'd need! I just need to find out the criteria. My company would confirm I'd done said job, it would be a bit of a white lie (or a big black one, depending on how you look at it), but it might be an option. The job description on their website lists 'tasks' that I have indeed done! I will contact them to find out what evidence etc is required!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
That would be good, if you can pass the assessment then you have a solid chance to have a PR to AU within 2 yrs (even if you don't have priority on any of the skills list).

I wish you the best of luck :)

Hi Amaslam

I am now wondering about applying for a 176 Visa as a 'Sales & Marketing Manager'...I'm gonna contact AIM to find out more. It's a 60 point job, which is what I'd need! I just need to find out the criteria. My company would confirm I'd done said job, it would be a bit of a white lie (or a big black one, depending on how you look at it), but it might be an option. The job description on their website lists 'tasks' that I have indeed done! I will contact them to find out what evidence etc is required!

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts