Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Long time forum reader, but as not living in Spain did not think it was my place to post here...until I needed something like now.

We have a family home based in the area between San Pedro and Estepona (very close to the Repsol just past the exit of the San Pedro underpass) and basically my mother in law has gone on holiday to the home with the intention of having some building work done and the local firm that was previously contacted to do the work have let her down.

So before we farm out to other locals I thought I would ask in this forum as I would prefer to support some of the Ex-Pats if possible.

So the requirement, the master bedroom has an on suite bathroom and a balcony, and mother would like to extend the bathroom into the balcony much like several other properties on the urbanization. The balcony has already been closed off and windows installed so it is just taking out a wall and remodeling the bathroom with no major build works.

The catch? Needs to be started and completed in the next two weeks while she is there (her place, her rules). She is in fact Spanish herself, but lived in the UK for the past 40+ years so language is not a barrier and her other daughter is also there should any technical questions come up.

So....anyone want to take a look and quote, or can anyone recommend anyone they know who is reliable and looking for work?

Many thanks in advance,
Barry

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Hi Guys,

Long time forum reader, but as not living in Spain did not think it was my place to post here...until I needed something like now.

We have a family home based in the area between San Pedro and Estepona (very close to the Repsol just past the exit of the San Pedro underpass) and basically my mother in law has gone on holiday to the home with the intention of having some building work done and the local firm that was previously contacted to do the work have let her down.

So before we farm out to other locals I thought I would ask in this forum as I would prefer to support some of the Ex-Pats if possible.

So the requirement, the master bedroom has an on suite bathroom and a balcony, and mother would like to extend the bathroom into the balcony much like several other properties on the urbanization. The balcony has already been closed off and windows installed so it is just taking out a wall and remodeling the bathroom with no major build works.

The catch? Needs to be started and completed in the next two weeks while she is there (her place, her rules). She is in fact Spanish herself, but lived in the UK for the past 40+ years so language is not a barrier and her other daughter is also there should any technical questions come up.

So....anyone want to take a look and quote, or can anyone recommend anyone they know who is reliable and looking for work?

Many thanks in advance,
Barry
Ask a few neighbours and get a Proper Spanish builder who will still be around when you need some adjustments. He will probably get all your licences arranged as well so that it is all legal. Many expat builders don't bother. Someone we know of who has since died had shoddy and unlicenced work done by an expat builder and it has all got to be ripped out, since the legatees want to sell and can't because of the unlicenced work The selling price of the house is €27k, cost to make the place legal (i.e. remove all the unlicenced stuff and restore to legal Spanish standards is €32k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly it was a local firm who were recommended by the locals that have dropped us in it...this holiday was planned to coincide with the works and now we are builder less (in a country that is starved of work too!)

I take on board your comments about builders following local code, so still open to recommendations

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Sadly it was a local firm who were recommended by the locals that have dropped us in it...this holiday was planned to coincide with the works and now we are builder less (in a country that is starved of work too!)

I take on board your comments about builders following local code, so still open to recommendations
I'd be wary of a builder, whatever Nationality, who could start at the drop of a hat. Might be a good reason why he has no work on his books?!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts