Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Builder/Bricklayer looking 4 work

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  c4.claire 
#1 ·
My husband has been a self-employed builder/bricklayer for nearly 20 years and is looking for work in the North Sydney - Brisbane area, can u help? We are a young family and are desperate to settle in the Gosford area

#2 ·
Hi there,

Have you checked any of the job websites? They are usually a good source to start off with and you can usually get recruitment company names from there too, so you can contact those agencies as well.

Also, have a look at yellow pages online and have a search. Then randomly pick builders in the Gosford area and give them a call. If they can't help, maybe they can put you in touch with someone else.

Are you planning on coming out on a company sponsored visa or a skilled independent visa? I have to say you might find it very hard to find a company willing to sponsor.

Dolly

#3 ·
Unfortunately building doesn't work in the same way that other jobs do, and it seems that the only way of getting work will be to go on site once we get our visa through. We have applied for a skilled ind visa. But it is always worth a try on these forums - anything is possible.

#4 ·
Ah....OK. Good to see you've applied for the 175. I guess you'll just have to wait to get over here before looking for work. I have friends in the building industry and it always seems to be 'who you know' rather than 'what you know'.

How far along with visa process are you?

Dolly

#5 ·
Hi Dolly. We processed our visa last june, but are expecting a long wait now due to their back log of applications. You say you have friends in the building industry? Would it be worth sending them my husbands CV? He has got an impecable reputation in the UK and has never been out of work for nearly 20 years, which says something in a recession.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.