Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We keep getting tiny little bugs in dried rice. Try to keep the cupboards clean, kept it in an air tight jar but after a few days there would be bugs crawling all through it.

My wife has came to the conclusion that the bug eggs are actually in the rice already and talking about freezing food for a 4 days prior. I'd rather not eat bug eggs, though I probably have now looking back.

Anyone else experience this, have tips etc?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't have any tips but in just the last week I have faced the exact same problem! Let me know if you figure it out, do you have them anywhere else except the rice?? I first found in rice, no sight of them anywhere else so i threw the rice out, and then they made it into my crunchie nut cornflakes! At 06:00 I think I did well to spot the wee ****** as the first spoonful of sugary goodness was travelling to my mouth!

·
Registered
279 Posts
My wife has came to the conclusion that the bug eggs are actually in the rice already and talking about freezing food for a 4 days prior. I'd rather not eat bug eggs, though I probably have now looking back.
I came to the same conclusion, after noticing that the rice in an otherwise clean jar was developing something.

I cannot be of much help since then I resumed buying air-tight italian risotto rice, as I always did all my life, cursing the day I tried this cheap one. That one is partially boiled in the factory (parboiled) so I figure it cannot have anything bad in it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
MaidenScotland said:
Yes the bugs are already there..I believe they are weevils and in most grains, use the fridge to keep everything even flour.

You could of course just buy small amounts of rice and wash it at soon as you get home.
Yep x you're right - anything wheat needs to be kept in fridge!! Unless you keep your kitchen aircon cooled!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for advice, fridge it is then! I don't use air con and kitchen been rather hot lately so that would not help.

·
Banned
88 Posts
Same happened with us, it's already there. Avoid buying loose rice, flour, chickpeas from the deli styled counters.

Going a little left field, I also found myself needing antiseptic cream when I was feeling the density of fresh pomegranate in Carrefour, unlike EU where fruits are washed these fruits still had the minuscule needles which found over a 100 firmly logged into my skin, thank god I didn't rub my eyes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We keep getting tiny little bugs in dried rice. Try to keep the cupboards clean, kept it in an air tight jar but after a few days there would be bugs crawling all through it.

Anyone else experience this, have tips etc?
We have lived in Penang, Malaysia and also the Solomon Islands. Had the same problem. Best solution is to keep dry foods like flour, rice etc in plastic containers in the freezer. Worked well for us.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Everyone who comes over thinks I am odd, but I put EVERYTHING in the fridge or freezer now. The little bugs freak me out.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Aren't these the ones otherwise known as Pharaoh ants? Ugh they're gross. Found some in my canister of sugar and nearly threw up. Like Jynxgirl, anything not airtight is kept in fridge

·
Registered
374 Posts
I just keep every flour/rice/pea like substances in air tight jars.

From a moderated statistical analysis conducted over 6 years on a correlated sample of myself, I can assert that 85.3% of the time, they develop in buckwheat flour.

I have actually stopped buying it here, and just bring it back from home.

Having it all in jars allows to :

1. spot them easily enough
2. make sure they have stayed in the one jar, and others around are bug free.

Dispose, boil the jar, buy new stock.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
spread the rice in sunlight...I think the bugs are present in the rice packet itself.
The problem with that is I have little ants everywhere, the little ledge (I dont have a patio) tends to have nasties on it, and there is sand everywhere in the air even if you were to do this outside.

I think I will stick with the freezer/fridge. I dont see them at all in the fridge :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best way is keeping everything (rice, lentils, floor, dired chick peas whatever) for the first 24 hours in deep freeze. Any place colder than -4 degrees help to kill the eggs and 24 hours is more than enough.

Using airtight jars won't work because the bugs come out of the eggs which are already in.

On the other hand having bugs show that the producer/packager did not use too many chemicals to kill everything including you on the long term.

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol..thats true but they are killing us in a different way

The bugs are harmless just disgusting. Less processed food contain more eggs, that is why you will see more bugs happily jogging in your brown rice than in your bleached white rice.

Anyway, I hate seeing them and they spread like a plague to everything edible. So after every supermarket run , almost everything goes to the freezer for overnight. No bugs for the last 5 years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.