Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite place for Friday brunch would be the Irish village, though almost each Friday i try a different place. I love the great food they offer and the ambience is just perfect for me. The other day i tried brunch at Jumeira Rotana Hotel at the Boston bar but unfortunately it wasn't to my liking. It was empty and the food was... Oh well won't be heading there any time in the future...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Speaking of brunches, are they really just an excuse to get smashed, or are there any good ones for non-drinkers?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Speaking of brunches, are they really just an excuse to get smashed, or are there any good ones for non-drinkers?
There are plenty of brunches where you pay less if you are only consuming soft drinks. What is your definition of good? There are brunches at all prices levels for many different types of food and varying venues.

-

·
Registered
279 Posts
There are plenty of brunches where you pay less if you are only consuming soft drinks. What is your definition of good? There are brunches at all prices levels for many different types of food and varying venues.

-

Many of my English expat friends tell me that you only get your money's worth if you are a drinker, so I have avoided them.

My definition of good would be something that contained a lot of food that one would order a la carte, and preferably some international feel to it.

I don't have any experience with them. Are there any ones in the 300 range without drinks that you think may fit the bill (if you excuse the pun)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Many of my English expat friends tell me that you only get your money's worth if you are a drinker, so I have avoided them.

My definition of good would be something that contained a lot of food that one would order a la carte, and preferably some international feel to it.

I don't have any experience with them. Are there any ones in the 300 range without drinks that you think may fit the bill (if you excuse the pun)

I would suggest that your friends perhaps have limited experience of brunches. Seriously, that are probably a hundreds to choose from and you do not have to drink.

For good value and a la carte, I'd suggest the Thai Kitchen at the Park Hyatt. If you ask you will find that most brunches have a reduced price for non-drinkers. Take a look in Time Out as they list many of the available brunches in varying price ranges.

-

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would suggest that your friends perhaps have limited experience of brunches. Seriously, that are probably a hundreds to choose from and you do not have to drink.

For good value and a la carte, I'd suggest the Thai Kitchen at the Park Hyatt. If you ask you will find that most brunches have a reduced price for non-drinkers. Take a look in Time Out as they list many of the available brunches in varying price ranges.

-
The problem with so much choice, is that you end up lost for what to choose. A little like a restaurant with a big menu. I will certainly take a look at your suggestion, thanks for that.

As for the 'limited experience of my friends', well they are English expats that have been here quite a few years, some whose children have grown up here, and they are of the opinion that it's really much more worthwhile if you are a drinker, otherwise it's not that big a deal. If they have 'limited experience', it's your opinion and I'm not sure if you are qualified to make that assertion as they could say the same about you ;)

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
The problem with so much choice, is that you end up lost for what to choose. A little like a restaurant with a big menu. I will certainly take a look at your suggestion, thanks for that.

As for the 'limited experience of my friends', well they are English expats that have been here quite a few years, some whose children have grown up here, and they are of the opinion that it's really much more worthwhile if you are a drinker, otherwise it's not that big a deal. If they have 'limited experience', it's your opinion and I'm not sure if you are qualified to make that assertion as they could say the same about you ;)
Do stop trying to pick fights with me. It is tiresome and you are on shaky ground.

Limited experience in that most expats go to Al Qasr or Mina a Salam at The Madinat, Yalumba or Spectrum on One and think that all brunches are like that. They are not.

-

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I've just remembered another good non-boozy brunch. Sloanes at Grosvenor House. The price doesn't include alcohol and they have a great selection of food, inc steaks cooked to order and lovely fresh seafood. I am sure it isn't cheap, but worth it if you like quality food and have a decent appetite.

-

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, at brunch here they serve alcohol??

I just want a decent place to grab a lunch that is resonable in cost. I guess my reasonable is different then others. I am thinking 50 durhams or so for a sandwich or a light lunch... 300 durhams to eat ??? I better be eating lobster!

My gosh, where oh where is a Jason's Deli...

·
Banned
598 Posts
Jumeriah Beach Hotel has a great brunch and I believe it was only 150aed a person. We dont drink so I dont know the cost if you did drink sorry.

@jill, jasons deli does rock.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts

I just want a decent place to grab a lunch that is resonable in cost. I guess my reasonable is different then others. I am thinking 50 durhams or so for a sandwich or a light lunch... 300 durhams to eat ??? I better be eating lobster!

I take it you have not been introduced to the Dubai Institution that is known as Friday Brunch then? From 12.30 - 3.30 pm, a fixed price, all you can eat & drink experience. Prices from Dhs 55 to 600, depending on what you want. Food varies from a massive International buffet, to fry ups, to particulat cuisines. Some include unlimited champagne.

Something for everyone & worth doing occasionally. They have garnered a bad reputation, but you don't have to get falling down drunk and most of us manage to remain upright. :)

And similar packages are available every night of the week in a few places and also some now on a Saturday or Sunday. See Time Out for listings.

-

·
Registered
279 Posts

Generally Friday is pretty dead in the early afternoon while people go to pray etc.

To cater for the expat communities, there is this brunch phenomenon I have found out about, where you pay a fee for a buffet and unlimited alcohol.

Apparantly they are rather popular and you have to book in advance for many places.

There are non-alcoholic prices as well, but apparently the value is in the alcohol.

Although as per the recommendations on this thread there may be some good value ones. I would like to check it out at least once anyway. When you consider the Kaleidoscope buffet in Atlantis is 175 with a huge selection of decent food, it makes you wonder about some of these brunch prices.

@AndyCapp - All I meant was that there are many expat professionals that have been here years with their families, nothing more, and clearly Elphaba does know much more than the average westerner about this place.

@MrBig - You sure it was 175? most prices I've seen for JBHotel are at least 2-3 times that figure?

I need to get myself one of these entertainer books, I hear that's apparently got some great deals in it.

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
I work Wed-Sat nights, and literally have under 8 hours between arriving home and leaving back from work. So, no havent been... As well I have odd days off and after the how much and availability questions, I dont much want to go anywhere without having someone with me. And most everyone I know (work) has off normal schedule days off where i work, and they have the same 8 hour window for sleeping, eating, showering.

I need to find a buddy.. and maybe one of these books.

·
Banned
598 Posts
@MrBig - You sure it was 175? most prices I've seen for JBHotel are at least 2-3 times that figure?

I need to get myself one of these entertainer books, I hear that's apparently got some great deals in it.
It was 150 a person as our bill was 450aed for 3 people. No coupons used. It was a fantastic meal and service was A+.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts

There are some good places in Al Barsha where the friday brunch is in the range 50-100 without alcohol

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Friday brunches that cater to the westerners charge exorbitant prices. I guess it's because everyone gets(at least used to) a nice salary package and loads of extras so they spend that disposable income with ease. In Canada - I can't think of any buffet or brunch where one would spend over $100 USD per person. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.