Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure we've been there ... brown-outs (not the correct term really) and communications issues (terrestrial based cable facilities) are always going out. You pay for the service, you get 70-80% (if lucky) due to poor workmanship on the cable and line plant here in the islands. I don't know what it is or why, but we've always seen the rats nest of wiring, poor routing examples, etc.

To correct the term BROWN-OUTS; they really are BLACK-OUTS. A brown-out is more of an issue when the voltage drop exceeds 10% or so, causing machine and some electronics failures (compensation burning out equipment).

As my name implies, I was a lineman in the states, now retired. We had quality standards and as you know you'd look down a line of poles and it would be relatively neat with cables routed properly, etc. Not here. Cables dangling in the street, open electrical (220-240V - YIKES) wire hanging at street level for children to use as swings, just dangerous practices. A virtual rats nest at the transformers and pole facilities .... DOUBLE YIKES.

PRO-TEK is one of the leading sub-contractors of cable and wiring outside plant in Luzon and here in Palawan. They have professional looking vehicles (a first I've noticed) and for the most part get the job done. What they DON'T have is quality standards and I aim to do my part to help them with that. A typical example was the very quick cable drop from the pole to my house here in PPS. They didn't follow the main lead between poles, instead opting to go around a tree then back to the mid-span ... (WHAT??? That's Crazy), which then went across the street to my existing private poles. Instead of going to the last pole and making a clean and straight drop to the house attachment, they skipped the last pole and threw the cable over the entrance arch where it nows sways with the wind and is chafed by the metal edges of the roof-tin. Within 3-4 months, this chafing will cut through the cable and there goes my expensive internet. I have no idea how long it would take for a repairman to come out, but surely it won't be up to what we're used to back home. A little extra ladder up the last pole would've saved a lifetime of service ..... go figure.

Next week I'll be visiting the local PRO-TEK facility and see if I can get a training, or at least consulting, job with them. I have a fount of knowledge in all things infrastructure and plant maintenance and have been on numerous safety teams. If hired, I'd be willing to work cheap (like I really have a choice, eh?) and hopefully set some standards for wiring AND do follow up inspections.

SAY NO TO BROWN-OUTS one step at a time ... hope I can help.

Be well, mabuhay from Palawan

Poleman:fencing:

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
The tourism slogan, "ONLY IN THE PHILIPPINES" covers a lot of this and much more you have not discovered yet. The differences between here and back home are as wide and deep as the Grand Canyon or more.
A strong word of caution on accepting employment with them or any other company. Be very, very sure the company has applied for AND RECEIVED a work permit/visa for you. The first time you make a local angry and or jealous they will report you to the Dept of Labor and Immigration in an effort to get rid of you or to get even.
This country and govt loves nothing more that to enforce law against any foreigner they can find. Once arrested, there is no way out. If you "survive" the immigration in Manila you will be deported. Not worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Almost like old home week. I lived in Az from 1968 to 2014 when we moved it Iloilo. I retired from APS in 1990. Fully agree that the distribution system here is enough to make one puke. Kind of doubt that you could/would make any difference. The workmanship here, (all trades, not just the electrical world) is utterly lacking in any pride to do any kind of decent job. An example would be the new house I had constructed last year. The wiring consists of Black, White, Red, Green, & Yellow with no rhyme nor reason as to any color code as any circuit may be any combination of those colors even some have both wires the same color. As Jet Lag has mentioned, be very careful where you stick your nose into here as foreigners we will come out at the bottom of the pile. We have no rights and you may be considered a troublemaker. Consider the risk before jumping, actions have consequences.

Fred

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had a instant hot water heater installed in my bathroom for hot shower in Davao. The guy I bought it from at the appliance store was the one that came out to install it. I am a re modeler here in the states so I knew what he was doing was wrong. Instead of him running the wires to the breaker box for the heater he connected them to the main wires coming into apartment. I told him that was wrong. He said he knew what he was doing.

Well, when I would take shower and turn the power up to the heater it would actually blow the main breaker and shut everything down in the apartment. It was overheating the main wires going to the main breaker in the box. I had to wait for the wires to cool down before I could get the main breaker to stay on. So I had to keep the power on low while taking a shower to keep the main from tripping.

This is the kind of workmanship that goes on there.

Art

·
Registered
574 Posts
Poleman...are you in P. Princessa area by chance? Would love to meet up with you when we come back to check it out much more in depth in 2018. Be great to hear more on the Expat community there as you settle in. Good luck on the consultant piece....gonna be hard to change a lifetime of rats nest wiring mentality, but who knows, maybe you'll be able to crack the code.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm sure we've been there ... brown-outs (not the correct term really) and communications issues (terrestrial based cable facilities) are always going out. You pay for the service, you get 70-80% (if lucky) due to poor workmanship on the cable and line plant here in the islands. I don't know what it is or why, but we've always seen the rats nest of wiring, poor routing examples, etc.

To correct the term BROWN-OUTS; they really are BLACK-OUTS. A brown-out is more of an issue when the voltage drop exceeds 10% or so, causing machine and some electronics failures (compensation burning out equipment).

As my name implies, I was a lineman in the states, now retired. We had quality standards and as you know you'd look down a line of poles and it would be relatively neat with cables routed properly, etc. Not here. Cables dangling in the street, open electrical (220-240V - YIKES) wire hanging at street level for children to use as swings, just dangerous practices. A virtual rats nest at the transformers and pole facilities .... DOUBLE YIKES.

PRO-TEK is one of the leading sub-contractors of cable and wiring outside plant in Luzon and here in Palawan. They have professional looking vehicles (a first I've noticed) and for the most part get the job done. What they DON'T have is quality standards and I aim to do my part to help them with that. A typical example was the very quick cable drop from the pole to my house here in PPS. They didn't follow the main lead between poles, instead opting to go around a tree then back to the mid-span ... (WHAT??? That's Crazy), which then went across the street to my existing private poles. Instead of going to the last pole and making a clean and straight drop to the house attachment, they skipped the last pole and threw the cable over the entrance arch where it nows sways with the wind and is chafed by the metal edges of the roof-tin. Within 3-4 months, this chafing will cut through the cable and there goes my expensive internet. I have no idea how long it would take for a repairman to come out, but surely it won't be up to what we're used to back home. A little extra ladder up the last pole would've saved a lifetime of service ..... go figure.

Next week I'll be visiting the local PRO-TEK facility and see if I can get a training, or at least consulting, job with them. I have a fount of knowledge in all things infrastructure and plant maintenance and have been on numerous safety teams. If hired, I'd be willing to work cheap (like I really have a choice, eh?) and hopefully set some standards for wiring AND do follow up inspections.

Whilst I appreciate what you are saying about workmanship, I suggest that many of the electrical distribution problems here in Philippines are attributable to the totally screwed up system that is a legacy of the American system that is installed here. 110/220v 2 wire. If they had followed European/UK standards, the place would be a lot safer. When I built my house in Davao, I specified all of the electrical system myself, based on UK standards, including RCD's. Breakers do not give adequate protection against electrical shock.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had a instant hot water heater installed in my bathroom for hot shower in Davao. The guy I bought it from at the appliance store was the one that came out to install it. I am a re modeler here in the states so I knew what he was doing was wrong. Instead of him running the wires to the breaker box for the heater he connected them to the main wires coming into apartment. I told him that was wrong. He said he knew what he was doing.

Well, when I would take shower and turn the power up to the heater it would actually blow the main breaker and shut everything down in the apartment. It was overheating the main wires going to the main breaker in the box. I had to wait for the wires to cool down before I could get the main breaker to stay on. So I had to keep the power on low while taking a shower to keep the main from tripping.

This is the kind of workmanship that goes on there.

Art
Obviously knowing what is right and wrong why didn't you piss him off and get a competent tradesman to do your installation correctly? Now you have a dangerous situation that needs fixing sooner rather than latter, hope it works out Greenstreak.

Cheers Steve.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Obviously knowing what is right and wrong why didn't you piss him off and get a competent tradesman to do your installation correctly? Now you have a dangerous situation that needs fixing sooner rather than latter, hope it works out Greenstreak.

Cheers Steve.
From the description the electrician was what passes for a competent tradesman in the Philippines. If you want to find the breaker board in a government building just follow the soot stain on the ceiling.

·
Registered
734 Posts
While living there in the apartment for a year I watched a house being built around the corner from me. It was a 2 story house. From the footers being pour to putting the roof on I never once saw a transit or level on the job. I guess they eyeballed everything. I would walk past the house everyday going to the coffee shop. Amazing the house was not leaning when they got done. hahaha It did look straight.

art

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Steve,

I don't live in that apartment anymore. Not my problem now. Yeah, he was the salesman at the store when I bought the water heater. Installation was included in the price of heater. I ask him who was coming out to install it. He said, I am! When he said that I ask him had he installed heaters. He said yeah a lot of them. He shows up to my apartment on his motorbike with tools tied to the back of it. He comes in and I take him to the bathroom and he didn't know how he was going to get up into the attic. I had to loan him my step ladder. I knew right then I had a problem.

Art

·
Registered
529 Posts

The mind set of most businesses, including utility companies, seems to be that so long as we came out and installed a line to the customer's house, we've completely fulfilled our obligations, and if the customer experiences quality of service issues, oh well, that is not our problem. In other words, they know they're doing bad work, but they just don't care. Also, I've noticed that most of the installers in my area are not actually employees of the utility company, and are instead merely casual laborers who have been hired by company's installation technician to assist him in his work. As long as the utility company gets their money, they don't care about anything else.

Also, about a year or so I had a problem with my DSL connection constantly losing sync and dropping my Internet connection. I kept calling Globe to have someone come out and fix it, and each time they'd come out, play with my modem, leave, but the problem was never solved. I actually got into a bit of an argument with one of Globe's repair technicians regarding his inability to diagnose problems. He became indignant and waved a fist full of work orders at me and said, "See how many customers I have with exactly the same problem as you?" - Was that supposed to make me feel sorry for him?

Eventually I figured out that my phone line was running too near to my neighbors electrical mains, and every time he'd turn on a piece of equipment in his compound, my Internet would drop. The repair technicians from Globe would not or could not figure this out on their own.

I made a fork with some PVC pipe, and then I paid my mother-in-law's helper to climb the poles and to move my phone line away from neighbors utility line. It worked.

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
Losing my connection that's me

Eventually I figured out that my phone line was running too near to my neighbors electrical mains, and every time he'd turn on a piece of equipment in his compound, my Internet would drop. The repair technicians from Globe would not or could not figure this out on their own.

I made a fork with some PVC pipe, and then I paid my mother-in-law's helper to climb the poles and to move my phone line away from neighbors utility line. It worked.
Same company and different issue though I had the Wifi unit... so I wonder what would have caused that not to work they claimed that the Wifi unit would lose signal between their 3 towers in my area and keep switching towers, they never figured it out. These guys would show up and install another Wifi unit and after 12 tries and 6 months of doing this and only 24 hrs it would work I gave up the rest of the 6 months was me waiting for them to come back out again, at the time there was no option for another provider but after I cancelled my service about 2 months later another provider came by and offered DSL, I should check my power lines they all seem to be together including the main power lines it's a mess.

The repair crew that work with these companies are on contract only so actually they can claim that they aren't a part of the Telcom, check out their trucks they have other names or the name of their contractor on the repair vehicle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts