Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants to get married in Italy, but they aren't citizens. They'd like to marry in an Orthodox church either in Sicliy or Puglia. Does anyone know the process for you foreigners?

Carlo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I can't advise about church weddings, but I was married in a civil ceremony in Florence several years back (before I was an Italian citizen, so technically neither my husband nor I were Italian citizen when we married, only American). The Italians were so lovely, they'd love to marry your brother and his fiancee - even if you don't speak Italian! ;)

It was a slightly complicated process with a lot of paperwork and a couple visits to government offices. I would advise finding an English speaking wedding planner in Italy to help out - that is what we did. We had to fill out a bunch of paperwork, take a trip to the US embassy in Florence and such in the days leading up to our wedding.

When we arrived back in the states, I went to my local courthouse (just to confirm that we were legally wed) and they said that as long as we have the wedding certificate, it was legal.

I hope it works out for your brother!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts