Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

We have only just joined this forum ahead of our planned move to Spain. My partner is (Catalan) Spanish by birth, so it's a homecoming of sorts.

After what seems like several lifetimes living in cities, we're looking for something in a rural setting with a little bit of land. We haven't yet settled on exactly where, though we have our eye on some inland pockets of Catalonia and Andalucia (far from the madding crowds).

Aside from finding somewhere which we'd like to buy, a really important consideration for us is fast, reliable broadband, as I need it for working from home.

I'm guessing that the situation is not unlike the UK, where good broadband is plentiful in the main cities and towns, but gets scarcer once you're out in the sticks.

Can anyone point me to some coverage checkers, which I hope would give an idea of which providers offer coverage in a particular area and what kind of connection speeds to expect?

I also hear there's a satellite broadband provider for people who live in an area where it's no possible to get any other kind of connection? Has anyone had first hand experience of this?

We have already ruled out mobile broadband, as we've used it before and it's neither fast nor stable enough.

Hope someone can help and many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi, We used sat bb in France and it was expensive(54€ pm) and slow(max 4mb, sometimes like dialup, sold as upto 10mb), happy to report that WiMax is widely available in rural Spain and is cheap (18€ pm) and reasonably fast (reliable 10mb) and stable.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hello everybody

We have only just joined this forum ahead of our planned move to Spain. My partner is (Catalan) Spanish by birth, so it's a homecoming of sorts.

After what seems like several lifetimes living in cities, we're looking for something in a rural setting with a little bit of land. We haven't yet settled on exactly where, though we have our eye on some inland pockets of Catalonia and Andalucia (far from the madding crowds).

Aside from finding somewhere which we'd like to buy, a really important consideration for us is fast, reliable broadband, as I need it for working from home.

I'm guessing that the situation is not unlike the UK, where good broadband is plentiful in the main cities and towns, but gets scarcer once you're out in the sticks.

Can anyone point me to some coverage checkers, which I hope would give an idea of which providers offer coverage in a particular area and what kind of connection speeds to expect?

I also hear there's a satellite broadband provider for people who live in an area where it's no possible to get any other kind of connection? Has anyone had first hand experience of this?

We have already ruled out mobile broadband, as we've used it before and it's neither fast nor stable enough.

Hope someone can help and many thanks in advance.
Satellite broadband quality improved dramatically in 2012 with the launch of a new Ka-band sat. I bought a system shortly after this and have used it for the past five years. It gives download speeds of 22mbs and uploads at 6mbs but ping is slower than normal broadband and this makes it unsuitable for online gaming and sometimes on video calls the lips are moving before you hear the speech! On the whole though it provides reliable broadband and another advantage is that you can have a UK IP address giving access to UK TV downloads. The downside of satellite broadband is that it is expensive and there are data caps, depending on the package you choose. This is my supplier: https://www.europasat.com/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts