Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any advice on obtaining a broadband connection for someone who is only resident in Spain for 4 months a year in total? Is a dongle the answer? if so what do you have to do to use this system?

·
Banned
2,426 Posts
A dongle is NOT the answer if you do not have good 3G coverage. Just been through this re friend near Algorfa, Alicante. Depends where in Alicante they are as to who can cover them. PM me if you want some names for the specific area.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
A dongle is NOT the answer if you do not have good 3G coverage. Just been through this re friend near Algorfa, Alicante. Depends where in Alicante they are as to who can cover them. PM me if you want some names for the specific area.
Steve, newbies cant PM, so you should find another way of sharing your info, like perhaps putting the names for specific areas on the forum

Jo xx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks Steve, I would be interested in some names and the area is between Denis and Calpe.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Some words to Telitec:

- It's a wireless Wimax connection, which is a good and proven technology and by far better than those crappy wifi-homerouter solutions you find from time to time

- When you order and install it the staff is really nice and quick, we had just the best experience with that part! depending on their schedule they set you up within days!

now to the not so good points:

Their backbone to the internet is absolutely underperforming. Since we're with them we experience massive high latency from early afternoon until around 11 at night. Skype (VoIP), other voicecom software, online games are impossible during those times, latency goes up to 6000ms and is very spikey. It got worse over the last 4 months (they expanded their reach up to Torrevieja etc. so loads of new customers). During the early morning hours it's absolutely perfect!

I was argueing for the past 3-4 months with them about the performance. They just told me that everything would be fine and it would be my equipment. I'm working with network and server technologie since i was 15 I know what I am doing. But the only thing they did was threatening me if they would come out and it is not them they would charge me blabla. Even after I supplied them with pathping and traceroute screenshots and logs.
Since they do their "performance tests" with one of those public java based speed test (speedtest.net etc.) they could easily "proove" a good connection to the internet, cause of the way those tests work - they dont take packetloss and spikes into account. Ah well long story short:

Finally this week they admitted to me that they "experience high useage" and that they are planning to improve their connection to the internet. How much this actually improves performance and if they really do it or how long it will take remains to be seen.

To sum it up at this moment in time: normal browsing and email is soso, it works but can get sluggish and slow (with some timeouts) from afternoon onwards. If you use VoIP you will experience connection loss and very bad sound quality (to the evening it's not usable tbh). Online gaming and applications that rely on low latency are more than painfull. To make it clear: in the off-peak hours it's absolutely fine, top quality - if it would be like that 24 hours Telitec would be one of the best internet service providers I used so far. But from 13.00-23.00 you will notice a massive drop in performance.

I have seen this before in "relatively young" and fast growing internet companies. Some of them cant fix it and just disappear from the market - others react and become big players. And I think Telitec has potential. The people are really nice and try to help within their capabilities - I just hope they fix the performance issues.

One plus point with Telitec especially if you are only down here for 4 months is, that you can "freeze" the internet access with them for several months, where they just switch it off and you don't have to pay during this time (for full calendar months) - our sales adviser told me about it back in april when we got the installation. So it's probably a better solution than a fixed ADSL contract.

Telitec offers mobile contracts and pre-paid cards as well. Just the best experience here really. They are very flexible and quick - so no open wishes there.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
There are loads of really cheap wifi/voip companies out there, Mercury, acox, bamboo, conecta4... to name but a few, they're all really cheap and really good, altho it depends on your area and whether you're near an aerial. I've just got a wifi thingy and for under 150€ and thats the only cost apart from the cost of the phone calls. I've got full internet and its brilliant compared to my old one with telefonica, it not only works but its really fast and I've gotta UK phone number so my calls to the UK are 1c a minute and their calls to me are local to them. I could have a spanish number as well for 10€ a month and cheap calls, but I havent got round to that yet!

So if thats what you mean by " ..... and by far better than those crappy wifi-homerouter solutions you find from time to time", then I'm amazed!!!

Jo xxx

·
Registered
388 Posts
So if thats what you mean by " ..... and by far better than those crappy wifi-homerouter solutions you find from time to time", then I'm amazed!!!

Jo xxx
When I am talking about cheap Wifi I am talking about "providers" who just set up a network of wifi homerouters and aerials, that way build a big network, that's connected to the internet. As much as those solutions work fine for small networks and communities they have a lot of weaknesses. Their biggest one is the frequence they are working on. They use a public band which gets used by other people's wifi routers, printers, alarm systems, cameras etc. Those electronic items can interfere and lower the line quality. Plus they rely on a close range between router and mast. Wimax on the other hand on the right frequency guarantees a high bandwidth and very stable connection over long range.

Decent wireless providers are using commercial frequencies they pay the governement fees to use. Those services are a lot less affected by influences I mentioned above and overall better in quality and reliability. And then it comes down to traffic shaping and network managing. Badly connected homerouters just can't handle a big amount of traffic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are loads of really cheap wifi/voip companies out there, Mercury, acox, bamboo, conecta4... to name but a few, they're all really cheap and really good, altho it depends on your area and whether you're near an aerial. I've just got a wifi thingy and for under 150€ and thats the only cost apart from the cost of the phone calls. I've got full internet and its brilliant compared to my old one with telefonica, it not only works but its really fast and I've gotta UK phone number so my calls to the UK are 1c a minute and their calls to me are local to them. I could have a spanish number as well for 10€ a month and cheap calls, but I havent got round to that yet!

Jo xxx
Thanks Jo, that's really useful.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Telitec are throttling back all its existing customers

Some words to Telitec:

- It's a wireless Wimax connection, which is a good and proven technology and by far better than those crappy wifi-homerouter solutions you find from time to time

- When you order and install it the staff is really nice and quick, we had just the best experience with that part! depending on their schedule they set you up within days!

now to the not so good points:

Their backbone to the internet is absolutely underperforming. Since we're with them we experience massive high latency from early afternoon until around 11 at night. Skype (VoIP), other voicecom software, online games are impossible during those times, latency goes up to 6000ms and is very spikey. It got worse over the last 4 months (they expanded their reach up to Torrevieja etc. so loads of new customers). During the early morning hours it's absolutely perfect!

I was argueing for the past 3-4 months with them about the performance. They just told me that everything would be fine and it would be my equipment. I'm working with network and server technologie since i was 15 I know what I am doing. But the only thing they did was threatening me if they would come out and it is not them they would charge me blabla. Even after I supplied them with pathping and traceroute screenshots and logs.
Since they do their "performance tests" with one of those public java based speed test (speedtest dot net etc.) they could easily "proove" a good connection to the internet, cause of the way those tests work - they dont take packetloss and spikes into account. Ah well long story short:

Finally this week they admitted to me that they "experience high useage" and that they are planning to improve their connection to the internet. How much this actually improves performance and if they really do it or how long it will take remains to be seen.

To sum it up at this moment in time: normal browsing and email is soso, it works but can get sluggish and slow (with some timeouts) from afternoon onwards. If you use VoIP you will experience connection loss and very bad sound quality (to the evening it's not usable tbh). Online gaming and applications that rely on low latency are more than painfull. To make it clear: in the off-peak hours it's absolutely fine, top quality - if it would be like that 24 hours Telitec would be one of the best internet service providers I used so far. But from 13.00-23.00 you will notice a massive drop in performance.

I have seen this before in "relatively young" and fast growing internet companies. Some of them cant fix it and just disappear from the market - others react and become big players. And I think Telitec has potential. The people are really nice and try to help within their capabilities - I just hope they fix the performance issues.

One plus point with Telitec especially if you are only down here for 4 months is, that you can "freeze" the internet access with them for several months, where they just switch it off and you don't have to pay during this time (for full calendar months) - our sales adviser told me about it back in april when we got the installation. So it's probably a better solution than a fixed ADSL contract.

Telitec offers mobile contracts and pre-paid cards as well. Just the best experience here really. They are very flexible and quick - so no open wishes there.
I agree 100% with what you said. In the beginning I couldn't fault Telitec and would gladly recommend it, indeed I did just that. However the service now is becoming comparable to dial up. Right now I am downloading a file at 15kbps which is a joke. This morning I was without a connection for 8 hours, last weekend 24 hours so anyone considering using Telitec for a business connection would be wise to take into account it's now become unreliable and it's underperforming by a mile.
The fact that Telitec are throttling back all its existing customers to cope with new sign ups could be it's downfall which is a shame because I love to see competition against Telefonica, just as I did against BT.
I want to see Telitec succeed but they really need to get their act together, and concentrate on its internet service and then move into other operations like mobile phones ect.
To be honest I feared the worst the other week, their website had disappeared and all you could see was a folder containing root files for awstats, it was like deja vous.
Oh and if you want to watch any vids on YouTube go to the beach for half hour and it should be loaded up on your return ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Received today lets hope it was worth the wait.

Please note;

Tomorrow we have to carry out essential engineering works designed to enhance the performance of our network.

We expect there to be some breaks in service and slow Internet during this time. This includes VoIP phone calls.

The work is scheduled to being approximately 9am and finish in the afternoon, as early as possible.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.

Telitec Support

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Seb,
Nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about any change og being able to email you?

Rgds G8NOF

Ps New to these forums

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
Hi Seb,
Nice to see someone who knows what they are talking about any change og being able to email you?

Rgds G8NOF

Ps New to these forums
Hi & welcome:)

why not ask your questions here in the forum - other might benefit from the info

after all - that's what forums are all about:D

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Just to add my two penneth, I also have Telitec and agree with everything others have said. We have had it for a year now and the last couple of months it has been really really bad.

I cannot get a fixed landline where I live and so fast internet / voip are essential, and working from home i cannot afford poor quality calls..Telitec are becoming more and more unreliable.

Any WISP type service can go down, all it takes is a storm so I have telitec plus another supplier - Wipzona. Now Wipzona was the 1st one I had and I got telitec becase of problems with Wipzona. I had Wipzona on "away" mode for a few months but have recently re-activated it and I have to say I am impressed.

Voice calls are crystal clear, downloads and uploads are MUCH MUCH faster than Telitec, and latency etc etc is low. Price wise they are favourable also (we always seem to get HUGE bills from Telitec).

I am not sure exactly which areas Wipzona cover, but well worth speaking with them to see what they can do for you (they have a facility to turn off when you go away).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Seb,

Do you know if Telitec are using 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz as the links to the CPE
I can´t tell you what frequency exactly they use to reach the CPE. Back last year the sales person told me they are NOT using the free 2.4Ghz, they have a paid license for another spectrum. If this includes mast to CPE or only main nodes to their main gateway I cannot say, but would expect all connections to go via their main frequency.

·
Administrator
36,522 Posts
I can´t tell you what frequency exactly they use to reach the CPE. Back last year the sales person told me they are NOT using the free 2.4Ghz, they have a paid license for another spectrum. If this includes mast to CPE or only main nodes to their main gateway I cannot say, but would expect all connections to go via their main frequency.
I know one of the supervisors on installation

I'll ask him if I see him later

If I can actually work out what to ask:confused:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just to add my two penneth, I also have Telitec and agree with everything others have said. We have had it for a year now and the last couple of months it has been really really bad.
Snip
Hope this helps.
Actually quite the opposite for me. I am subscribed to this thread because I posted previously and very negatively I might add about Telitec.

Well I am still with them, and since my post last year all has been ok. There is the occasional blip but nothing nearly as bad as before, but with this kind of connectivity I guess that's to be expected.

Skype works really well, and all my telephony is made via Skype, and I have had some comments people find it hard to believe I am using voip.

Downloading I get up to 120kbps so a compressed film takes me on average 2 hours.

I don't know how you get huge bills Steve, I'm on a monthly Direct debit for €34 something for a 1mb connection. :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.